What's new

Foot Odor, A New Issue For Me

This is a little bizarre, as I've never had any issues with any kind of body odor in the past. I could work and sweat 12 hours straight and basically just smell like, well... Sweat.

However, back in December of last year, I began testosterone replacement therapy. Ever since, I've had an issue with embarrassing foot odor. I don't know if the two are directly correlated, but it seems timely enough to deduce that a hormonal change is the culprit. I take three to four showers a day, and in the morning, before my workout, I take one and always scrub my feet with soap and water. I'm in the gym for thirty minutes and still manage to come out with smelly feet.

My testosterone levels are right where my endocrinologist and I want them, so there will be no change there. This is really the only side effect I have an issue with, I've never had it before and it's downright embarrassing. Tmi, but nothing else is smelly, just my feet. Foot powders and sprays only do so much, and Epsom salt soaks and exfoliating don't really seem effective.

I'm at a bit of a loss, here. Any suggestions?

I have several as I've battled foot odor ever since puberty. A word of note, my dad was a dermatologist and had me use some prescription items, the ones I mention will only be OTC solutions. One, use a foot antiperspirant. I recommend Mitchum for the feet (use a different one on your pits). You need at least one pair of shoes for each day of the week. If you work out daily, I'd recommend a 2-3 pairs of shoes for the workout. Invest in good socks, no polyester, all cotton, even wool if you are not allergic. Natural fibers are better with absorbing ordors. Spend plenty of time barefoot. I hope this helps.

Do you eat a lot of meat and/or dairy, especially red meat and cheese? You can try eating more fruits, vegetables and whole grains, less meat and dairy. If you drink a fair bit of alcohol, you can try cutting back on that.

Go barefoot where possible. Thin wool socks are best. Your feet need to be able to breathe.

you need at least one pair of shoes for each day of the week. If you work out daily, I'd recommend a 2-3 pairs of shoes for the workout. Invest in good socks, no polyester, all cotton, even wool if you are not allergic. Natural fibers are better with absorbing ordors. Spend plenty of time barefoot.
Go barefoot where possible. Thin wool socks are best. Your feet need to be able to breathe.

These are both great advice. I would also suggest using an antiperspirant or alum on your feet if its particularly bad.

I find that gold bond foot powder (or the much cheaper walmart or target store brands). Are helpful for the smell and comfort (if sweat is an issue).

Because certain foods and drinks increase B.O. in susceptible people. I'm not sure I'm prepared to give a full biochemical explanation, but this has been my experience. It makes for an interesting experiment for those willing to try.
Hmm, it's like Forks over knives. It's just propaganda where they just don't say that five letter word...

Hmm, it's like Forks over knives. It's just propaganda where they just don't say that five letter word...
Evidently I pressed one of your hot buttons. I'm not Vegan, if that is what you mean. Your post illustrates one reason why. I am not interested in converting you, either.

Veganism is more of a philosophy or lifestyle choice. I am mainly interested in health and wellness. I do eat some meat, fish and dairy, but very little compared to the average person.

If one is trying to solve a problem, experimentation can be helpful. It is difficult to experiment and learn something new when you have already made up your mind.

Food is medicine, for good or ill. If I have sugar in the evening - some chocolate or a glass of wine - the soles of my feed go nuclear. It's a recent change, but I've made a very direct connection; eat sugar, get massive heat. Saying that food intake doesn't or can't influence your body's processing is just silly. Ask anyone with an allergy.

@OldSchoolYoungin, it's worth testing your diet (and alcohol intake) for a week or two. If it doesn't change anything, well, you're not really out anything.

Of course foods affect our bodies, glucose and diabetes or alcohol and liver issues. But skipping rib eye steak for salad leaves and bulgur wheat is not going to resolve a lot of issues.

I have different goals than most, I imagine, and while I don't consume ridiculous amounts of red meat or cheese, I do consume some and I'm afraid that won't change lol. Count cottage cheese and Greek yogurt in there, too. My eating is fairly regimented and I get PLENTY of fresh fruits and vegetables, as well.

I'm almost certain it has mostly to do with the hormonal change, I'm just looking for ways to reduce it, in the meantime.

I did mention a few other suggestions.

You have to traipse lightly with diet suggestions though. Try to be helpful, and all the sudden you are embroiled in a dark conspiracy to deprive people of their steaks and force them to eat rabbit food.

😱 :laugh:

You have to traipse lightly with diet suggestions though. Try to be helpful, and all the sudden you are embroiled in a dark conspiracy to deprive people of their steaks and force them to eat rabbit food.

As I said, my goals are different than most. I'm a physique competitor. In order to achieve proper conditioning, different diets work for different folks and I'm simply doing what works best for me right now, food wise. It's really not much different than the way I normally eat, maybe a little more restrictive, but yea... When you find what works for you, you stick to it. More thought goes into it than people assume, it's not just me not wanting to give up steak. In fact, I really don't eat much red meat right now. Or cheese, or dairy products. Some here and there, but not in abundance.

Thanks for suggestions, all.

I enjoy Vegan burgers. There is nothing like freshly ground Vegan. Although Aberdeen Angus runs a close second.

What's the five letter word?
Vegan, i.e. a person who avoids animal products of all kinds, usually out of a concern for animal welfare or the environment. Note this is not the same thing as a person that is vegetarian or a person that eats a diet that is primarily plant-based.

@Doc4 has some sort of visceral reaction to the concept. Perhaps he was traumatized by being trapped in a room with vegans who preached to him and tried to convert him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom