What's new

Food you hate to love

Potted meat on white bread

proxy.php

There are dark chocolate chunks with almonds inside that I get all too often from the bulk bins at the grocery store. I only get a small amount because it's expensive and won't last the day.

Cold pizza. I guess it's because we grew up reheating pizza in the microwave, and I thought cold pizza tasted better than nuked pizza.

Sausage gravy. My wife thinks it's disgusting when I get the spoon out to finish off the gravy left over when I've eaten all of the biscuits.

I'm with you on the cold pizza. Cold pizza plus Tabasco equals yum. Some carryout chain pizza (I'm looking at you, Donato's) is actually a lot better cold than it is hot.

Why is spooning up sausage gravy gross? I thought everyone did that. Heck, I could set up an I.V. for that stuff.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Manwich on a toasted bun.

IMG_0002.JPG

Topped with a slice of cheese and a bit of horseradish sauce.

IMG_0006.JPG

And a gratuitous pic. to go along with Aaron's booze post...booze is a food group in itself.

Read 'em and weep, buddy.

IMG_0011.JPG

For me it's hot pepper jelly pored over cream cheese served on a spiced (think olive oil and Italian spice) cracker.

Served with beer or white sparkling wine.

28 posts and nobody has mentioned BACON?

I know it's not healthy.
I know it's Traifedik (unKosher).
I know that 2 strips are supposed to be a side-dish with eggs and toast and coffee, but a package of thick cut, fatty bacon works for me as a dinner entree.

I should know better,
but what's not to love about Bacon?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

I know it's not healthy.
I know that 2 strips are supposed to be a side-dish with eggs and toast and coffee, but a package of thick cut, fatty bacon works for me as a dinner entree.

I should know better,

Like Orville said to Wilber....

A pic. of a fatty was going to be next...someone please post one.

Nothing as decedent as sausage stuffed with bacon and wrapped in bacon.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

I know it's not healthy.

I should know better,
I don't think any one feels bad about loving bacon, so maybe that's why it hasn't been brought up. :)

Cheese steaks. As a teenager I worked at a mom-and-pop sandwich/pizza place and made them all day. Still love them, and every time I return to my hometown I stop in for one. Still taste the same. Bonus: now I can crack open a cold beer to have with it. :)

On Thursday last week i made a cheese steak. Had known the name Philly Cheese Steak for years but had no idea of what it was comprised. Like finding the Holy Grail of food, how could something so simple to make with so few ingredients be so utterly sublime? This is why i continually search out the new-to-me in food, there's just so much new to try.
dave

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd

I know it's not healthy.

I should know better,

Traifedik? Reminds me of the old joke-

What kind of meat does a rabbi's wife eat for Passover?
PM for punchline

What food do you love, but know that you really shouldn't? This could be food made at home or fast food or whatever. I will start with two that are garbage, but that I really like. One is Taco Bell bean burritos.
I don't think I have any at the moment. For a long time I liked Jack in the Box tacos and quarter pounders but those days are long gone. Houston has no lack of good tacos that are real tacos and cheap. If I'm going to get a burger these days it needs to be amazing.

I know it's not healthy.
I don't hate to love bacon. I love to love bacon. Nothing wrong with it. It can make many wrong things right. Healthy/unhealthy isn't quite so simple. Most things in moderation are fine including bacon.

Its got to be Mayo for me. I just love the stuff. I'll slather a ton on a single slice of bread and fold the sucker in half for snack. I'll dip chips in it. Spread it on some lunch meat and roll it up. Put it on grilled corn. I love it on everything.

It has to be Dukes though. Or any other Mayo with no sugar.

In Flint and Jackson Michigan the Coney dogs come with a minced beef heart sauce, plus sweet onions and mustard. They are considered dry, whereas Detroit serves up a less tasty wet chili sauce dog.

The Flint style is delicious, but will send you in search of Tums in no time if you are over 50.

Top Bottom