What's new

Food you hate to love

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I figured this might be a fun thread. What food do you love, but know that you really shouldn't? This could be food made at home or fast food or whatever. I will start with two that are garbage, but that I really like. One is Taco Bell bean burritos. Another is Chef Boyardi beef raviolis. I will probably add more later.

I love Spam and Vienna Sausage! Most people will have that yuck face when I mention those two. I'm from Hawaii and we all love our Spam. Highest per capita consumption of Spam in the nation. Hooray.......we are number 1.

I love Spam and Vienna Sausage! Most people will have that yuck face when I mention those two. I'm from Hawaii and we all love our Spam. Highest per capita consumption of Spam in the nation. Hooray.......we are number 1.

I'm with you my brother! At least with the Spam.

Spam is just another forcemeat. Like sausage or pate or terrine or gyro meat. You emulsify lean meat, fat, and spices, then put it in a mold of some sort and cook it.

I think the prejudice against Spam is the fact that it comes in a can. The meat in Spam is 100% pork shoulder. No byproducts (more than you can say about most forcemeats). They mix it with pork fat, spices, and the usual garde manger preservatives, and there you go. Easy deliciousness.

Sugar, have a major sweet tooth which i can keep under wraps most of the time but at times, like if there's more then one dessert option, there is only one option, everything, unless it's cheesecake, pass.
dave

Sugar, have a major sweet tooth which i can keep under wraps most of the time but at times, like if there's more then one dessert option, there is only one option, everything, unless it's cheesecake, pass.
dave

Same, but I will take your slice of cheesecake and add it to mine. And ask for seconds.

How I have managed to avoid diabetes so far in my life is a mystery. Never met a sweet that I didn't like. Literally. Those little gross waxy pumpkin candies that Grandmas used to give their grandkids on Halloween? I could eat a gallon of em.

IMG_6111.JPG

I'm with you my brother! At least with the Spam.

Spam is just another forcemeat. Like sausage or pate or terrine or gyro meat. You emulsify lean meat, fat, and spices, then put it in a mold of some sort and cook it.

I think the prejudice against Spam is the fact that it comes in a can. The meat in Spam is 100% pork shoulder. No byproducts (more than you can say about most forcemeats). They mix it with pork fat, spices, and the usual garde manger preservatives, and there you go. Easy deliciousness.
I love it. I'm having Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Baked Beans,
Spam, Spam, Spam, and Spam.

There are dark chocolate chunks with almonds inside that I get all too often from the bulk bins at the grocery store. I only get a small amount because it's expensive and won't last the day.

Cold pizza. I guess it's because we grew up reheating pizza in the microwave, and I thought cold pizza tasted better than nuked pizza.

Sausage gravy. My wife thinks it's disgusting when I get the spoon out to finish off the gravy left over when I've eaten all of the biscuits.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
One of those big, thick, juicy hamburgers from a greasy spoon. You know, the kind where you take a bite and the grease cascades down your arm and drips off of your elbow into a shiny, shimmering pool on the tablecloth.

One of those big, thick, juicy hamburgers from a greasy spoon. You know, the kind where you take a bite and the grease cascades down your arm and drips off of your elbow into a shiny, shimmering pool on the tablecloth.

That reminds me of 3 for a dollar taco night at a local bar when I was in college. It probably goes without saying that the tacos were pretty bad but we were poor, hungry college guys who liked drinking beer so it was a match made in heaven though in reality, it was probably a lot closer to hell. Every bite out of one of those tacos and you'd have rivers of that reddish-orange, fatty juice running down to your elbows. Once you left the bar the night was far from over. When you're in a room full of guys and that taco hell started kicking in the air quality in the room went south of the border pretty fast.

Last edited:
Cheese steaks. As a teenager I worked at a mom-and-pop sandwich/pizza place and made them all day. Still love them, and every time I return to my hometown I stop in for one. Still taste the same. Bonus: now I can crack open a cold beer to have with it. :)

Top Bottom