What's new

Food you hate to love

Giant microwave burritos from the gas station. Combined with a couple beers, and you become a walking, talking gas station yourself!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Yes! I don't do spaghetti-o but Chef Boyardee meat ravioli. Loved it since I was a kid. I make my own ravioli, but sometimes it's just nice to throw something on the stove and heat it up.
Sometimes junk food hits a certain spot.

Chef Boyardee ravioli was something my mom would get for me as a treat when i was sick as a kid. It's something i haven't had in too many decades to admit but i think i can still taste it. It did make me feel better.
dave

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Chef Boyardee ravioli was something my mom would get for me as a treat when i was sick as a kid. It's something i haven't had in too many decades to admit but i think i can still taste it. It did make me feel better.
dave
Go get some. There is nothing like a taste or smell that reminds you where you came from.

Not sure where else to put it, but I found out what I would do for a Klondike bar. We had one left, and it would be mine. My 3 year old granddaughter asked me what I had. I said it was medicine. So, I would lie to a 3 year old for a Klondike bar :)

We did have other ice cream, so I don't feel too bad :lol:

I just read that to my wife and we both laughed for five minutes straight. Thank you for that it was needed!

Go get some. There is nothing like a taste or smell that reminds you where you came from.

Sometimes it's better not to mess with the memory as the reality of it destroys the magic that was.

We're not big on memory lane, there's no heritage recipes from either side of the family that we make. New and untried is a constant.

dave

Beanie Weenie. Add some raw chopped onion and a handful of Jalapeno rings. I can kill a pack of cheap dogs and Van De Camp in one sitting.

Put that Chef Boyardee ravioli on a Ritz Cracker. Oh so good.

In high school, one of the options for Friday lunch was Chef Boyardee ravioli, an Uncrustable grilled cheese, and french fries. To this day, I still get hankerings for that combination (of course, I'd dip the fries and grilled cheese in the ravioli)

Heck, I thought you boys in Texas rolled deviled ham and saltines into balls and used em to catch catfish.
:)

A true Texan never reveals his secret bait. :cowboy:

Actually I will reveal it because it's so freaking odd. I saw it in a fishing magazine way back when and was super skeptical but it works. Bran flakes mixed with cherry Jell-O powder and a little water. You roll it into little balls and let it sit in the fridge overnight. Works very well...I've caught catfish and carp with it.

Now the deviled ham...that and a six pack is fisherman bait. :biggrin1:

Ha! When I was a kid read in Field & Stream or Outdoor Life about attaching an Alka Seltzer tablet to a bass lure.

It wouldn't last long, but a lunker with a bit of heartburn would sure be attracted to it.

Up here it is mostly trout, steelhead, salmon, walleye. Those are sophisticated fish. They like brie.

Carbohydrate heavy foods, low carb is the only way I get a healthy weight but holy crap is it a difficult diet to follow, I mean literally every civilization ever, has been based around carbohydrates heavy foods, wheat, rice, corn and potato.

Carbohydrate heavy foods, low carb is the only way I get a healthy weight but holy crap is it a difficult diet to follow, I mean literally every civilization ever, has been based around carbohydrates heavy foods, wheat, rice, corn and potato.

Has obesity always been epidemic then or is this a modern western phenomena? What are we doing wrong with carbohydrates?

I'm not directing this to anyone just throwing it out there. Food for thought?
dave

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Has obesity always been epidemic then or is this a modern western phenomena? What are we doing wrong with carbohydrates?

I'm not directing this to anyone just throwing it out there. Food for thought?
dave
I think in the modern Western diet carbs are eaten way too much and the wrong kind, followed by too much TV, computer games and Big Gulps. As a kid we ate lots of simple carbs like potatos, breakfast cereal, pasta and white bread. None of which held any nutrition what so ever. But, we played in the front yard, woods and in the streets until the street lights came on.

Top Bottom