What's new

Food Memories

Growing up Saturday nights would be the good nights, fun food. The rest of the week, i was just not a fan except for dessert, my mom excelled at baking/desserts! Probably why i didn't starve myself, no dessert until...

dave

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Dang...this thread is over 2 years old and it's still going.

I have some....

Mom fixing bacon and eggs of a morning, in the Griswold cast iron skillet, on the gas stove and turning on the oven and leaving the door cracked open so it would heat up the room for me when I was little. I sat in front of that oven at the kitchen table.

Mom (this is a recurring theme, huh?) pulling some baked quail out of the oven that Dad and I had got, and also fried quail in the Griswold.

A dressed out deer, shrouded in a sheet, hanging in my Dad's hunting buddy's garage in the cold weather to age a bit. Venison is a good thing.

Pheasant that my Uncle in Kansas gave us. One time I put it in the slow cooker...I was young then and thought a clove of garlic was the whole head. Need I say more?

Mountain oysters at my aunt and uncle's...aunt told us kids they were calf ears (that doesn't sound much better, does it?) so we would eat them. Good with ketchup. When we were branding, de-horning and castrating the extra ones that uncle didn't need would be tossed to the couple of dogs that hung around in the corral...just for that.

Rabbit...the basic stock of small game. One I nailed, after kicking it out of a briar patch at uncle's ranch, I nailed on the run with one shot from my Colt single action New Frontier .22.

Splitting a beef on the hoof with other people...oh, wait...I still do that. Have a hog coming pretty soon. I love the ranch manager next to us...She's asked if we wanted to split a beef or a hog for years.

Sonic burgers when they still had the carhops on skates bringing your order out to your car.

Grilled cheese sandwiches and 'mater soup on a TV tray while watching TV.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Sonic burgers when they still had the carhops on skates bringing your order out to your car.

Grilled cheese sandwiches and 'mater soup on a TV tray while watching TV.
They still have car hops in my neck of the woods. I picked up some sharp cheddar and Campbell's tomato soup before I came to work. I will have it for dinner tonight.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Back as far as I can remember, we would have a dove shoot. Friends and family would all come and we would meet at Chesters corn field which had two tanks and a shack. The dove loved the plowed under corn and two water sources, so we always had plenty to shoot at, although dove aren't easy to hit and are tricky little acrobats in the air. Everyone would bring a pot luck dish and we would fry the dove. I miss those days a lot. I wonder if the old shack is still there? It had a porch and large trees surrounding it.

The food is still around, but the person isn't. I miss eating Blue Bell ice cream with my grandfather. He'd always buy it at the store. Had to be Blue Bell though. Homemade Vanilla, Dutch Chocolate, Rocky Road, and Strawberry.

Almost forgot. Summer sausage, cheddar and crackers. That was the go-to snack that I was given as a youngster when doing outdoors things like fishing or a day at the beach.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Almost forgot. Summer sausage, cheddar and crackers. That was the go-to snack that I was given as a youngster when doing outdoors things like fishing or a day at the beach.
This is the time of year that Hickory Farms sausage and cheese gift pack start popping up.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
My mother had Jesse and Roy Brown come to our house. Mom would then fix fried chicken , slaw, and string beans. After eating I was allowed to play a game of Scrabble with them . That’s all I remember.

But I have a bad memory. Something bad happened. Jesse and Roy got divorced.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
My mother had Jesse and Roy Brown come to our house. Mom would then fix fried chicken , slaw, and string beans. After eating I was allowed to play a game of Scrabble with them . That’s all I remember.

But I have a bad memory. Something bad happened. Jesse and Roy got divorced.
Sometimes food gives us bad memories too. Like the time my brother took me over to eat sushi. We ate like kings and tried a lot that was on the menu...all was going well until....the bro ordered Uni which is Sea Urchin. The texture was like snot. The taste was like slop....I've never eaten either but that's what I imagined it tasted like. I'm pretty good when trying new foods. There's not much they I can remember that was truly awful until Uni. Uni...no bueno.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Sometimes food gives us bad memories too. Like the time my brother took me over to eat sushi. We ate like kings and tried a lot that was on the menu...all was going well until....the bro ordered Uni which is Sea Urchin. The texture was like snot. The taste was like slop....I've never eaten either but that's what I imagined it tasted like. I'm pretty good when trying new foods. There's not much they I can remember that was truly awful until Uni. Uni...no bueno.

Maybe you got some bad stuff. I love uni. I always find it somewhere between fois gras and oysters.

Homemade sugar donuts (from biscuit mix) - my grandma
Pot roast - my grandma
Fried catfish - my grandpa
Meatball subs - my dad
Mac & cheese with peas and tuna - my mom

Thanks for bumping this thread, Aaron. Five years old - crazy!

When I was a freshman in college a bunch of us decided to have a potluck dinner. None of us had much money, so we did the best we could. Someone made a marinara sauce with pasta, someone brought salad, another bread, etc. I think I brought a crabmeat dip and crackers. Somehow a bottle of wine showed up. I remember thinking how grown up this was - a "fancy" potluck dinner with friends. Shoot, we were just kids. But a bunch of us are still in touch.

I haven't thought about that in a long time. It was 25 years ago. Damn, I'm getting old.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Thanks for bumping this thread, Aaron. Five years old - crazy!

When I was a freshman in college a bunch of us decided to have a potluck dinner. None of us had much money, so we did the best we could. Someone made a marinara sauce with pasta, someone brought salad, another bread, etc. I think I brought a crabmeat dip and crackers. Somehow a bottle of wine showed up. I remember thinking how grown up this was - a "fancy" potluck dinner with friends. Shoot, we were just kids. But a bunch of us are still in touch.

I haven't thought about that in a long time. It was 25 years ago. Damn, I'm getting old.
Sounds like a "Stone Soup" story.

Miss my grandma’s on my mom’s side of the family biscuits and gravy and everything else that she put out for breakfast when the family got together. I remember my grandpa crumbled up the biscuits over fried eggs and covering it with the gravy. First time I remember seeing him do it I thought there’s no way that could be any good but after trying it ended up being one of my favorite things

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
When I stayed at Granny's house as a little kid she would make refried bean tacos. The refried beans where fried usually in butter or a bit of Crisco. The corn tortillas were always heated in a cast iron pan and topped with real butter then the beans. That's it. It was so simple but delicious. In homage to Granny we cooked them in her cast iron pan...here we go:

This is Granny's version...the wife ate these two.

20200709_080450.jpg

20200709_080626.jpg

...and I ate these...a little chili tepin peppers for a surprise when you bite into it.

20200709_081132.jpg
20200709_081141.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom