What's new

Food from home

I live in Yorkshire, England. We had some American friends over for the weekend and thought we would make a traditional sunday dinner, roast beef, roast potatoes, Yorkshire puddings, carrots and peas. They loved it. We then had a beer and/or a glass of red wine, put on the movie Love, Actually and all the guys were asleep for the rest of the afternoon.

This got me thinking about food that we miss from our travels.

One food that I miss was from the Outback restaurant in Florida, it was called the blooming onion, a giant onion which was fried and battered.

Another was meatloaf, the US makes the best meatloaf and I miss that a lot.

Another very simple meal was in Hong Kong, a thick well done steak with a jacket potato, filled with sour cream and bacon bits.

Nice memories.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I see Blooming Onion recipes all over the web--can hardly get away from the blessed things. They are good, though!

I'll happily post my meatloaf recipe, too. It always gets scarfed up.

As far as travels go, I also think about some fantastic foods we've had all around. The one that stands out to me at the moment is the epic lunch we had in Beirut. I'll have to think about the number of courses, but it was more than we expected (we didn't know what to expect). We kept thinking that whatever came out was it, but then something else would come out. It was amazing.

Another that stands out was the "Lunch at a Family Home" we had in Dubrovnik. Again, we expected something simple, but it was a flippin' banquet with all sort of folks and a live band. Excellent salad and beef sausages and all sorts of goodies. I also recall being told we would be provided with "a glass of wine" at lunch. Those crazy Croats need to get their prepositions straight. What we got was "a glass for wine," and we all a whole bunch of wine to put in that glass!

Wow. Those fish would be looking at me as I eat them.

If you ever make it to Mousehole in Cornwall the town name is pronounced Mowzel.

Fish tacos in Baja California. Also goat tacos made by a farmer who let us camp on the beach that could only be accessed through his ranch. I caught a striped marlin on my honeymoon in Cabo San Lucas. We took a large piece to a restaurant in town. They cooked it three ways and had all the fixings with fresh tortillas. They charged us $5. It was fantastic.

Chicken Katsu curry Loco Moco on the big island of Hawaii after fishing all day.

Pressed duck and taro in San Francisco on Chinese New Year Many years ago. It was cold and rainy. The shred duck meat was under mashed taro. Like mashed potatoes that was fried crisp. Really hit the spot on a cold evening. Everyone thought it was to heavy of a dish but I loved it. They sent me home with the leftovers.

I lived in Florida for about 10 years. The one thing I miss is the fresh fish - particularly the ones I caught. Silver trout, grouper, and snapper were my favorites.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I miss Polish Boys- a Cleveland specially

y
AFB96E22-7D90-4BD3-84CA-93A0C96C8940.jpeg

Top Bottom