What's new

Fondue Set?

Hello Mess Hall friends! SWMBO mentioned thinking a fondue set might be fun to have for the family. I'm curious if anyone has recommendations for such an item. A little about how it would be used.
Not looking to host large parties. This will be for the immediately family on fun evenings.
Family consists of SWMBO and I, along with a 11 and 6 year old. Kid friendly design is an important factor.
NOT using with oil to cook raw meats. This will be for cheese/chocolate only.
As we have kids, something that is easy to clean afterwards is also desirable.

I see there are electric options, though our table does not really have an ideal location for plugging something in. Maybe if it has a long-ish cord.

I'm honestly completely clueless here. But if you have some insight, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have seen some that operate sitting on a small burner like a chafing dish does. I'd get a small camping stove like one that uses Gaz/Bleuet cartridges and use a small saucepan and forks.

We received an electric one as a wedding gift in1977. It has gotten a lot of use. We keep an extension cord handy. Ours has a non-stick interior so it’s easy to clean. Cheese fondue: French bread and apples or pears, has become our Christmas Eve dinner.

Do remember with the kids that the tradition is that if your food falls off the fork and into the pot you have to kiss everyone at the table

Ok..I really like the rule about the food falling off the fork. That will definitely be implemented.
The campstove is an interesting alternative. I'm not sure it'd be well received, as SWMBO is barely comfortable around our gas stove. 🤣

We got one as a wedding gift also. Don’t remember the brand. It’s a non stick sauce pan with an electric warmer. Came with a notched ring you set on top of the pan to hold the forks. It’s good to have the separate pot so you can start the cheese on the stove . Then move it to the warmer when is ready.

we found a recipe that uses jack cheese ,kids love it.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
It's kind of hard to go wrong with any of the electric ones.

You also can use a small crock pot. There are 1.5 quart model is a bit big for a fondue pot, but not terribly so, and it can come in handy for other uses. Of course, as your kids grow up, it might not be enough!

Top Bottom