What's new

Folliculitis

Status
Not open for further replies.
do any of you guys suffer from folliculitus and if so what do you do 2 cure it. have been to doctor about it all he suggested was using a single blade razor. antibiotics didn't work. have not been to a dermatologist because my insurance doesn't cover it

$uploadfromtaptalk1413393195170.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a dermo-doc prescribe benzoyl peroxide. This is available OTC (lower strength)...I use OXY® Maximum Action but I'm sure there are others out there.

If antibiotics didn't clear it up, then it's probably not folliculitis. It could be surface rash, allergic reaction, acne, or ingrowns as well. Mine has always cleared up within a few days of starting antibiotics. That being said, if it is bacterial, benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid washes should help, but for me they take a lot longer to start working.

If antibiotics didn't clear it up, then it's probably not folliculitis. It could be surface rash, allergic reaction, acne, or ingrowns as well. Mine has always cleared up within a few days of starting antibiotics. That being said, if it is bacterial, benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid washes should help, but for me they take a lot longer to start working.

It start s to clear up on antibiotic but comes right back with a vengeance

Do you have to shave you head?
My head does that too, but not to that extent, when I shave my head closely.

Keep it clean. I use Witch Hazel, try not to touch it, or pick at it. At night, before bed, clean the infected area with an Iodine solution, or Betadine, followed up with Witch Hazel. The Witch Hazel will moisturize it too.

I have suffered from this condition for over twenty years! I have scalp folliculitis and as you know the infection spreads from one follicle to many. Six years ago I had visited a dermatologist and I was given several oral antibiotics along with lotions. The infection would clear up but would return usually in the span of two or three weeks. My folliculitis isn't extreme but that's because I don't shave my scalp. I know that everyone's condition will differ. I have learned the hard way that shaving my scalp made the condition horrible.

Within the last four years I have shaved my scalp twice with terrible results. The first time I had used a cart dual blade razor. The next day I had a terrible breakout of infected follicles. Last year I shaved my scalp with hair clippers thinking that it would not cause any harm. I avoided putting any type of blade rubbing right on the skin. Even with hair clippers I had the worst breakout of infected follicles I had ever seen. I have grown tired of seen dermatologists because I do not get long lasting improvements. IMO some cases of folliculitis are very difficult to treat.

I decided to shampoo with either Selsun Blue Medicated (extra strength) or Neutrogena T/Gel shampoo. These two shampoos have lessened this terrible affliction significantly to the point where it is under control (but not gone). I absolutely can not shave my scalp with any blade nor hair clippers. You might be successful cutting your hair short with scissors, I know you won't like this alternative but I think it would help. The point is to not rub or cause any form of abrasion on your hair follicles.

Also, folliclulitis might spread to your beard area or any part of your body that has hair follicles. I will occasionally have one or two infected hair follicles on the beard area and they are quite painful. I use Bump Patrol on the occasional infected follicle on the beard area, I would never use Bump Patrol on the scalp.

One of the classic outbreaks of folliculitis occurs on the lower back of the scalp (as I see in your picture).

Last edited:
I experience the same from time to time. Main reason why I made the switch from cartridge to de /se was the problems it caused. A sharp blade and single edge coupled with witch hazel has really worked wonders for me. No more bumps /blemishes

I'm not a mod or steward (and correct me if I'm wrong) but I think the photo in the OP should be put inside spoiler tags.

Thanks,
Mike

EDIT

Please see the following thread:

<url=
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/346846>Is-this-ok</url>

And while we're on the subject - if you feel the need to post a picture of that cyclops zit you've got in the middle of your forehead, or the gashes from your encounter with a scary sharp blade which left you dripping blood into the sink, or the curious pattern that has developed on your feet from the South American Nail Fungus you caught on vacation - would it be too much trouble to ask you to at LEAST put the picture in a spoiler?...

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm not a mod or steward (and correct me if I'm wrong) but I think the photo in the OP should be put inside spoiler tags.

Thanks,
Mike

You are NOT wrong Mike.

Also gents - B&B is a great place for advice on shaving creams and razor blades and your favorite tea, pen or cigar - not so much a place for medical advice.

While many may have the OP's best interest at heart, there's no way to tell if the advice given is from a Doctor, a Nurse, a Janitor or a mischievous 15 year old in his moms basement.

We don't do medical advice here fellas. Sorry.
To the OP - please seek advice from a Medical Professional. If that's not possible, then do ask your question on a forum suited for dispensing medical advice...

A word to the wise;
Take everything you read there with a pound of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom