What's new

foil vs rotary

Yes, folks will collect anything. Where did you find them? The Norelco I used in the 1960s was a two head shaver where the top popped open to brush out the cuttings. The shaver was made of two plastic parts the lower one was gray and the top part was white.

One of the ones I won is similar to that, except it has an off switch.

My grandpa shaved with something similar to that, he had been using it for decades until he died. As far as I know that's all he ever used.

One of the ones I won is similar to that, except it has an off switch.

My grandpa shaved with something similar to that, he had been using it for decades until he died. As far as I know that's all he ever used.
I can’t remember if it had an on/off switch. My father used the previous model which was all one color plastic, beige and the head wasn’t hinged but snapped off for cleaning. It didn’t have an on/off switch.

I can’t remember if it had an on/off switch. My father used the previous model which was all one color plastic, beige and the head wasn’t hinged but snapped off for cleaning. It didn’t have an on/off switch.

I've seen a few videos of guys tinkering around with them. Alot of them still work OK for shaving. I'm definitely not going to trying shaving with it till I give it a good looking over, though.

I've seen a few videos of guys tinkering around with them. Alot of them still work OK for shaving. I'm definitely not going to trying shaving with it till I give it a good looking over, though.
I would invest on a new set of cutters before shaving the first time.

I would invest on a new set of cutters before shaving the first time.

I got one of the shavers today and I just polished the blades on a mirror with some plastic polish.

Here's a picture. I tested it out on my arm and it seems to shave OK, though the heads have more drag than a modern rotary shaver, so it will definitely benefit from preshave. It is also a bit louder and feels heavier in the hand. I'll test it out tomorrow morning.

norelco.jpg

I got one of the shavers today and I just polished the blades on a mirror with some plastic polish.

Here's a picture. I tested it out on my arm and it seems to shave OK, though the heads have more drag than a modern rotary shaver, so it will definitely benefit from preshave. It is also a bit louder and feels heavier in the hand. I'll test it out tomorrow morning.

View attachment 1043407
Except for the noise of the motor, replacing the blades would make it as good as new for one of the three head version.

I tried out the shaver. It works fine and delivers a decently close shave, although not as close as a Braun foil. Not quite as comfortable as some of the more fancy Norelcos with the comfort heads, though.

I tried out the shaver. It works fine and delivers a decently close shave, although not as close as a Braun foil. Not quite as comfortable as some of the more fancy Norelcos with the comfort heads, though.
Terrific! Have you figured out how old is this model Norelco? Obviously, it’s not going to shave as close as a modern Braun shaver. It would be interesting to compare it to Braun shaver of the same vintage. Prior to somewhere in the 1980s, Braun was prohibited from using their brand name in the US as was Phillips. Braun shavers were first produced by Ronson under licsence after WWII and then the Eltron brand.

Terrific! Have you figured out how old is this model Norelco? Obviously, it’s not going to shave as close as a modern Braun shaver. It would be interesting to compare it to Braun shaver of the same vintage. Prior to somewhere in the 1980s, Braun was prohibited from using their brand name in the US as was Phillips. Braun shavers were first produced by Ronson under licsence after WWII and then the Eltron brand.

Based on old TV ads I've seen, I believe the shaver dates from the late 80's or early 90's. It has no lift-and-cut. My guess is it's a budget model.

I'm comparing the shave to the Braun Pocket, which hasn't changed in shave performance much since the 90's. It's always been a relatively close shaver since I used my first one as a hand-me-down back in the late 90's, albeit slow and potentially rough/irritating and requires a light touch.

That extra info about BRaun is good to know. Do you know any links to electric shaving websites? I want to learn more about various models, maybe information about spare parts and so on.

Based on old TV ads I've seen, I believe the shaver dates from the late 80's or early 90's. It has no lift-and-cut. My guess is it's a budget model.

I'm comparing the shave to the Braun Pocket, which hasn't changed in shave performance much since the 90's. It's always been a relatively close shaver since I used my first one as a hand-me-down back in the late 90's, albeit slow and potentially rough/irritating and requires a light touch.

That extra info about BRaun is good to know. Do you know any links to electric shaving websites? I want to learn more about various models, maybe information about spare parts and so on.

These are cool reads I came across when I first really got into Electrics:

Why did reciprocating slotted-head shavers die out except on larger Braun or Panasonic shavers? And why did rotary shaver attain popularity in their place? Was it merely a noise issue?

As a teen I had bad problems with acne and ingrown hair on my face, and my dad actually wanted to find a slotted-head shaver for me because it wouldn't cut so close, but by the time they were being phased out (late 80's early 90's). I ended up using a Norelco travel shaver. I didn't touch a blade again until college.

These are cool reads I came across when I first really got into Electrics:

Thanks for the history links. I hadn’t realized that Remington also made screen type shavers. It looks like the original model 40 had slots. I remember the battery powered Lektronic version but it also appears to have slots instead of screens.

When I first read those it made me really wish Braun released something like the "heritage edition" shaver that Remington has out now, i'd snatch one up right away. The only reason I havent picked up the Remington heritage is because it's $100+ for a device with minimal bells and whistles that is priced based solely off its looks and "cool factor" and (best case scenario) performs just as well as their highest end shaver which is cheaper. Remington does have their "vintage dual close" shaver that is only about $70 but it doesn't look as comfortable or cool as the heritage.

When I first read those it made me really wish Braun released something like the "heritage edition" shaver that Remington has out now, i'd snatch one up right away. The only reason I havent picked up the Remington heritage is because it's $100+ for a device with minimal bells and whistles that is priced based solely off its looks and "cool factor" and (best case scenario) performs just as well as their highest end shaver which is cheaper. Remington does have their "vintage dual close" shaver that is only about $70 but it doesn't look as comfortable or cool as the heritage.
Maybe this will become a trend in the industry. It is a very cool looking shaver. Unfortunately, the worst reliable electric shaver I ever owned was a Remington foil shaver which I trashed about six years ago. First the battery charge function died within a couple of months and Remington did replace it quickly. The real problem was that the cutters would corrode after cleaning the shaver under running water. As the cutter blades began to fail I had to press the screens harder to get a shave and they would tear. At the end I was replacing cutters at lest every month to six weeks. Eventually, I threw it in the trash and bought a Panasonic ES8103. The Panasonic’s cutters and screens lasted the entire five years and I never had to replace them until the end. At the end the Panasonic’s trimmer had failed, the battery wouldn’t hold a charge for a week and the cutters became dull. I replaced it with a seven series Braun shaver in April.

Check out this link for more Remington Heritage shavers Amazon.com: remington heritage shaver - https://www.amazon.com/s?k=remington+heritage+shaver&crid=ZZBNFXRHITVR&sprefix=Remington+herit%2Caps%2C188&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_15

Why is it so hard to replace the batteries on rechargeable shavers? It seems like an anti-consumer and wasteful practice to have them soldered into the shaver.

That's mostly why I have tended to stick to either plug-in shavers or travel shavers that take AA batteries.

I guess if you shave every day, it's probably not such a big deal, you are getting more use out of the shaver during its lifespan.

Why is it so hard to replace the batteries on rechargeable shavers? It seems like an anti-consumer and wasteful practice to have them soldered into the shaver.

That's mostly why I have tended to stick to either plug-in shavers or travel shavers that take AA batteries.

I guess if you shave every day, it's probably not such a big deal, you are getting more use out of the shaver during its lifespan.
My guess is that most of the rechargeable shavers are waterproof and once the consumer opens up the case the waterproofing may no longer be as secure as it was before breaking the seal. That’s probably a liability issue for the manufacturer. Another reason is simply obsolescence to get you to buy a new shaver. If the rechargeable battery will last five or more years the manufacturer has probably come out with a new and improved version which the customer may want.

As an example, Braun’s seven series shavers have been out for a few years with various models. I have one and it works just fine. However, Braun now has a series eight shaver which has a few improvements or features. The series 7 battery lasts 50 minutes and the series 8 last 60 minutes of charge time. The series 8 has a better located trimmer and they removed the “Power Level” selection which doesn’t seem to make any difference in the shave speed or quality. Another feature on the 8 series is a power switch lock and the same type of battery power level indicator from the nine series. The power level indicator on the seven series only indicated full, half full and recharge while the new one shows more levels. I don’t think the motor is any different and the cutter/screen cassette looks similar in design but is of a slightly different shape. Therefore, you can’t replace it with a 7 series cassette.

Am I going to buy one? Of course not. But, when Phillips came out with the lift and cut heads I’m sure lots of customers who had been using a Phillips Norelco shaver might upgrade to get that feature.

I agree with what @Flyboybob said about this

The waterproofing argument makes sense, I suppose. But they started soldering in batteries long before shavers became waterproof.

I suppose it was also an issue about reliability. I'm sure if they didn't solder the batteries in, there would be a possibility of the device not working due to something as simple as a bad connection.

Years ago I did try a midrange Panasonic and I liked it but it's gotten old now and the battery needs replacing soon (I only will do a few shaves before you must plug it in- a safety feature I guess). It shaves fine but... I am not about to spend $70 bucks on a new shaver. So, I am debating what I do about it.

The waterproofing argument makes sense, I suppose. But they started soldering in batteries long before shavers became waterproof.

I suppose it was also an issue about reliability. I'm sure if they didn't solder the batteries in, there would be a possibility of the device not working due to something as simple as a bad connection.

Years ago I did try a midrange Panasonic and I liked it but it's gotten old now and the battery needs replacing soon (I only will do a few shaves before you must plug it in- a safety feature I guess). It shaves fine but... I am not about to spend $70 bucks on a new shaver. So, I am debating what I do about it.
If the Panasonic still works you can recharge it every couple of days until the battery dies. You can replace it with a Braun Series 3 for $59 from Amazon. Yes, it’s a safety feature that you can’t shave while charging the battery because the shaver can be used wet.

Can you solder?. Install some new batteries. Or go somewhere like Batteries Plus and have them do it for you. It's not that expensive.

Clayton

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom