What's new

foil electric shaver first impressions

hey people, so im not a never used when it comes to rotary electric shavers or clippers and trimmers etc,
however ive never used a foil electric shaver and having hardly been using any razors in the last few months i thought i'd try it out

honestly im rather disappointed, its as good as the four headed rotary electric shaver ive got,
it does have this clipper head that you can flick out to use which is handy if you need to trim the hair down before getting it down to the skin with the foil electric shaver,
however i must say its average and thats at best

the brand i got was kemei, which is essentially a knock off of wahl and andis,
ive got kemei detailed and clippers and theyre very good,
so maybe i had high expectations due to that? i dont know either way i wanted to ask is this the general feel with all foil electric shavers or is it just the one i got?

It's been a while since I used an electric for daily shaving (probably 20+ years), but my guess is that the improvements to electric shavers have been modest in terms of shaving efficiency. An electric shaver will probably get you a socially acceptable shave, but won't shave as close as you can get with manual methods (cartridge, DE, SE). I would say a good advancement in electrics is that you can now use many (most?) of them on a wet face with pre-shave product which I would think would really reduce razor burn.

Reactions: saj
Just the one you got. Or not. You got a low or mid-range (cost-wise), relatively older-design foil shaver and got a mediocre - or poor - shave. For you. You might get a better shave with a more expensive, more modern designed foil - like Braun or Panasonic - or you might not. A modern electric is capable of giving you a decent shave, some even rivaling a decent blade shave (the Panasonic for example). And likely quicker, and perhaps more comfortable. But none will give you a shave as close as a blade. Nature of the beast. And none will give you a great shave with several days' growth. An electric is best used shaving daily, or every other day, on short stubble. That's what they're designed for. Electrics vary tremendously with models and designs as far as effectiveness for an individual, and technique varies as well. Older electrics, and older designs, aren't as effective at removing facial hair as modern electrics in general. That's why they changed. And foil shavers will generally provide a closer shave than rotaries, but that can vary by individual as well. And a wet shave with an electric can generally give you a closer and more comfortable shave than dry. Depending. So if there's a reason you wanted to use an electric (speed and convenience for example), you might expand your horizons with a different brand or type of razor - most of the major manufacturers have a generous return policy. If none of that matters, blades have been around a long time (although blade shaving requires considerably more practice and expertise - virtually anyone can use an electric well), and there is much less variability among razors - you put a blade in it and you pull it across your face. You're as likely to get a good shave - with good technique - with a $30 Tech as you are with a $700 Rocnell Sailor. Or with a Gillette Sensor. It's a handle and head, it holds a blade. Not so much with an electric. I personally use an electric every day, either to touch up a blade shave or as a stand-alone if I'm in a hurry or just to change up. Your. Mileage. May. Vary.

Scaramouche pretty much nailed it, but I'll add that, just like wet shaving, electric shaving results are highly dependent on prep and technique. Poor prep + poor technique = poor results. And, for some, electric shavers simply don't work well.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I was introduced to electric foil razors working in the film industry. Makeup artist used them regularly to prep performers. I purchased one after getting a very close shave. I found mine to be very effective and was surprised by the efficiency. I have seen a small amount of talc dusted on the foil to help improve glide and comfort.

It's been a while since I used an electric for daily shaving (probably 20+ years), but my guess is that the improvements to electric shavers have been modest in terms of shaving efficiency. An electric shaver will probably get you a socially acceptable shave, but won't shave as close as you can get with manual methods (cartridge, DE, SE). I would say a good advancement in electrics is that you can now use many (most?) of them on a wet face with pre-shave product which I would think would really reduce razor burn.
yea youre right, not much can really get more effective in terms of the closeness of the shave with eletrics, its more gimmicky stuff for me like different speed levels and led battery displays etc

Just the one you got. Or not. You got a low or mid-range (cost-wise), relatively older-design foil shaver and got a mediocre - or poor - shave. For you. You might get a better shave with a more expensive, more modern designed foil - like Braun or Panasonic - or you might not. A modern electric is capable of giving you a decent shave, some even rivaling a decent blade shave (the Panasonic for example). And likely quicker, and perhaps more comfortable. But none will give you a shave as close as a blade. Nature of the beast. And none will give you a great shave with several days' growth. An electric is best used shaving daily, or every other day, on short stubble. That's what they're designed for. Electrics vary tremendously with models and designs as far as effectiveness for an individual, and technique varies as well. Older electrics, and older designs, aren't as effective at removing facial hair as modern electrics in general. That's why they changed. And foil shavers will generally provide a closer shave than rotaries, but that can vary by individual as well. And a wet shave with an electric can generally give you a closer and more comfortable shave than dry. Depending. So if there's a reason you wanted to use an electric (speed and convenience for example), you might expand your horizons with a different brand or type of razor - most of the major manufacturers have a generous return policy. If none of that matters, blades have been around a long time (although blade shaving requires considerably more practice and expertise - virtually anyone can use an electric well), and there is much less variability among razors - you put a blade in it and you pull it across your face. You're as likely to get a good shave - with good technique - with a $30 Tech as you are with a $700 Rocnell Sailor. Or with a Gillette Sensor. It's a handle and head, it holds a blade. Not so much with an electric. I personally use an electric every day, either to touch up a blade shave or as a stand-alone if I'm in a hurry or just to change up. Your. Mileage. May. Vary.
you know much about the brand i got kemei?

lot of barbers are raving about this brand as its a chinese knock off of the andis and wahl brands

the one i got seems to be one of their top foil shavers in their range,
but saying that i got no idea how it would compare to the brausn or panasonics of the world, so yea i'll give you that for sure

i did get the kemei brand due to me having the same brand clippers and detailers so i thought it would compliment the existing stuff i got nicely

yea like you say could just be a matter of YMMV

Scaramouche pretty much nailed it, but I'll add that, just like wet shaving, electric shaving results are highly dependent on prep and technique. Poor prep + poor technique = poor results. And, for some, electric shavers simply don't work well.
i assume you mean prep when it comes to wet electric shaving?

I was introduced to electric foil razors working in the film industry. Makeup artist used them regularly to prep performers. I purchased one after getting a very close shave. I found mine to be very effective and was surprised by the efficiency. I have seen a small amount of talc dusted on the foil to help improve glide and comfort.
yea that was what i was going to ask in my above post,
when i used to go barbers and whenever they used to shave my hair, they used to always use talcum powder pre shave, whats the purpose of that do you know?

i assume its to help to get a bit more friction or to help raise the hair maybe?
not entirely sure if im being honest

i assume you mean prep when it comes to wet electric shaving?
I suppose for wet also, but I was referring to dry. Wash face really well, dry, and then for me something like Lectric Shave or the powder preshave (I think one is called Remington Shave Stick) makes a big difference. Talc would probably work just as well. And, just like wet shaving, a light touch is key.

I'm not familiar with your shaver, but I do know that Norelco, Braun, Remington, and I think Panasonic all offer 30-60 day money back guarantees on their shavers.

I’ve used a couple different electric foil shavers many years ago. They work great on my cheeks where the grain is uniform. The problem is several areas on my neck have irregular growth where direction of the grain goes all over the place. On these areas the foil shaver always misses some hairs, even if I keep going over it many times until I start getting irritated. Nothing beats a a DE wet shave for me overall.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
My first shaves were with a 2 bladed razor, then 3 bladed, then a 5 bladed razor. As long as the blades are still sharp, they do a great job of shaving. But they don't stay sharp for long, and go dull fast on course hair I discovered. I was spending so much money on replacement blade cartridge packs per year, I decided to switch to electric.

I then began with Norelco rotary electric shavers. They did the job technically, but I found they still took just as long to shave, didn't get anywhere near as close of a shave as a razor did, and provided me skin irritation. I discovered that I have sensitive skin, so dry shaving, just no way around that I suppose. I kept using a rotary shaver for many years, cause thats all I knew.

Then a couple years ago, I decided to try out a foil shaver, and got the Panasonic Arc4 shaver. Its a good shaver, perhaps not the best, but I didn't pay several hundred dollars for it either. Its louder then a rotary shaver by a considerable amount. Having said that however, it does produce a much closer shave, practically as good as a razor almost.

But since I have sensitive skin, skin irritation is still an issue. I discovered that if I applied a thin layer of non foaming shave gel, it helped the shaving to go smoother. Additionally, it also allowed me to get an even closer shave, without skin irritation. The only thing with using a shaving gel, is you are forced to have to clean out the shaver with water afterwords.

But thats no big issue for the Arc4, as its a waterproof shaver. But then you got to make sure to let it dry completely after, and then apply a couple drops of oil on the blades, before putting it away. So if your asking, which kind of electric shaver do I prefer? I prefer foil shavers for the reasons stated above.

My first shaves were with a 2 bladed razor, then 3 bladed, then a 5 bladed razor. As long as the blades are still sharp, they do a great job of shaving. But they don't stay sharp for long, and go dull fast on course hair I discovered. I was spending so much money on replacement blade cartridge packs per year, I decided to switch to electric.

I then began with Norelco rotary electric shavers. They did the job technically, but I found they still took just as long to shave, didn't get anywhere near as close of a shave as a razor did, and provided me skin irritation. I discovered that I have sensitive skin, so dry shaving, just no way around that I suppose. I kept using a rotary shaver for many years, cause thats all I knew.

Then a couple years ago, I decided to try out a foil shaver, and got the Panasonic Arc4 shaver. Its a good shaver, perhaps not the best, but I didn't pay several hundred dollars for it either. Its louder then a rotary shaver by a considerable amount. Having said that however, it does produce a much closer shave, practically as good as a razor almost.

But since I have sensitive skin, skin irritation is still an issue. I discovered that if I applied a thin layer of non foaming shave gel, it helped the shaving to go smoother. Additionally, it also allowed me to get an even closer shave, without skin irritation. The only thing with using a shaving gel, is you are forced to have to clean out the shaver with water afterwords.

But thats no big issue for the Arc4, as its a waterproof shaver. But then you got to make sure to let it dry completely after, and then apply a couple drops of oil on the blades, before putting it away. So if your asking, which kind of electric shaver do I prefer? I prefer foil shavers for the reasons stated above.
although im not sold on foil shaves i am still keen to try out a panasonic or braun, one of the bigger names but cant take the to try spending a decent amount on one if it doesnt pan out...

It’s very much a YMMV thing, I know that foil shavers are supposed to cut cleaner and be gentler on the skin, but for me it’s the other way around. Even the most expensive foils (the last I used was Braun 9) just feel like they tear my face to shreds, at the same time I am getting a great shave with an older, entry level rotary Norelco that my son didn’t like.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

It’s very much a YMMV thing, I know that foil shavers are supposed to cut cleaner and be gentler on the skin, but for me it’s the other way around. Even the most expensive foils (the last I used was Braun 9) just feel like they tear my face to shreds, at the same time I am getting a great shave with an older, entry level rotary Norelco that my son didn’t like.

Because of that skin irritation, is why I am changing things up a bit. I've already mentioned that I apply a shaving gel to my face before I bring the Arc 4 to my face. What is new however, is how I am going to post treat my face after a shave.

Because of some great advice that I got here on this site, I ordered a couple of products that will hopefully help me out. From Phoenix Artisan Accouterments, I picked up a bottle of star jelly aftershave. Its supposed to provide the benefits of the alcohol you'd get in a aftershave splash, but with the benefits of a aftershave balm as well.

It was also recommended for me to use a 100% raw shea butter, comes in a 15 ounce tub. Its a skin moisturizer primarily, so something to keep sensitive skin like mine from drying out. We can easily be overwhelmed by so many products out there, and so many varieties of them.

But the point is to try out different things, to see what works. I am just glad this site is here, I like to help people as much as I like to be helped by others. Good luck! :)

Having used many different electrics over the years, actually just about any of the name brands, other than Braun. Nothing against Braun, just never bought or given one, the Panasonic Arc series seemed give the best shave. I actually used a tiny bit of shaving gel (like Edge for instance), which provided some lubrication to both lubrication to the head/blades, and yielded a smoother, closer shave. - It also eliminates any chance of razer burn.

My preference was to wet shave with it, unless I was in a hurry. Actually still use it to trim the ear lobes and nose hairs, which is more difficult with a blade. For 'dry' shaves, AFTA Pre-Electric worked really well, but leaves a lot of 'dust' (corn-starch or whatever) in the head, that you need to clean out.

Most of the low end brands never seemed to shave well, and although I tried 3-4 different Norelco razors, they never seemed to shave as close for me, with exception of the Nivea model, but still not as good a shave as the Panasonic models.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Hi to everyone! I'm fairly new to the forum. Have a simple DE razor. Want something advanced. I was searching for some advice so I'm here. I also found this review. 11 Best Electric Shavers for Sensitive Skin: In-Detail Reviews (Spring 2022) - https://bathroomer.org/electric-shaver-for-sensitive-skin/ Looks interesting to me. It's said how to use an electric razor and how to maintain it. What do you think?
Should I use an electronic razor on a daily base?
And what should I start with?

I have the Panasonic Arc 4, which is the predecessor to the now famous Panasonic Arc 5. Keep in mind, Panasonic Arc 5 foil and blades packs are very expensive. Its one of the main reasons why I chose the Arc 4.

Keep in mind, a foil shaver will provide you a closer shave then rotary shavers, but it shaves off some skin to do it, thats what causes the redness irritation on ones neck. Before I converted over to DE shaving after coming to this site, I was using my Panasonic Arc 4.

In order to fight against razorburn, what I did, is I applied a good layer of shave gel to my face, after I had already washed my face first of course. This helped greatly, as it helps the shaver head to glide across your skin. And because the shaver is waterproof, its designed to handle that, then just wash in the shave head, foil, blades in the sink when done to clean it out.

Now, keep in mind, I have sensitive skin, so thats why its also easy to get razorburn. Now, I've never used the Panasonic Arc 5 before, so I don't know how good it is. But its built off of the same process as the Arc 4, so I don't expect it to be that much different. Its supposed to have a faster motor I guess.

But like I said, shaving head costs are like way up there, over 50 bucks, closer to 80 bucks. So, when it comes time to replace them, its gonna be a huge investment. I will say however that, Panasonic does make high quality electric shavers, and I do like my Arc 4, as long as I used a shave gel on my face first of course.

But like I said, I converted over to DE shaving now, I just feel better after a DE shave. And you know what? Even if I manage to knick myself with my DE razor, I still feel better then being electric shaved, know why? Cause no razorburn! My skin isn't turned into a red mess of pain.

The whole process of DE shaving is just incredible, especially in the facial lathering process. But, if your dead set on sticking to the dark side, and using electric shavers, I do recommend Panasonic.

Before you ask, yes, I have used Norelco electric shavers, the rotary ones, that is what I used to use back in the day before I got my Panasonic foil shaver. I don't recommend Norelco's, they simply do not last, you use them for a couple years, and then the motors just die on them.

Plus Norelco charges a ton of money for their higher end stuff that is supposed to be quality, but I've read the bad reviews where people said their 300 dollar shaver died after a year or two, so ya. Anyways, thats all I really have for you.

Hope it helps! And...Good Luck! :)

Hi to everyone! I'm fairly new to the forum. Have a simple DE razor. Want something advanced. I was searching for some advice so I'm here. I also found this review. 11 Best Electric Shavers for Sensitive Skin: In-Detail Reviews (Spring 2022) - 11 Best Electric Shavers for Sensitive Skin: In-Detail Reviews (Spring 2022) - https://bathroomer.org/electric-shaver-for-sensitive-skin/ Looks interesting to me. It's said how to use an electric razor and how to maintain it. What do you think?

Should I use an electronic razor on a daily base?

And what should I start with?
Probably a more updated site for reviews:

As for your question, an electric shaver is not necessarily "more advanced" - it's just a different way to shave. Blades have been around for a few centuries as shaving implements (actually millenia) for a reason and the fact that they're still around is a clue. An electric will (likely) give you a faster shave, is more convenient, and sometimes more comfortable. With less likelihood of slicing your epidermis. But they won't give you a closer shave, and not necessarily more comfortable. An electric razor can give you as bad a shave as a bad blade shave, depending on your skill and technique, or as good as a good blade shave (again not as close). As far as whether you should use an electric razor, only you can answer that - and only after you've used one.

There are a number of good threads here on the use and maintenance of electrics, and ShaverCheck has some great reviews of what's currently out there - today's electrics are far from your father's (or grandfather's) old Remington. Several manufacturers, but the Big Three are Braun. Philips Norelco and Panasonic (with maybe Remington thrown in as a Big Fourth). Two basic types of electrics - foil or rotary - and a huge range of prices and models. Read through the threads, check out reviews, and pick one (or two) to try - the major manufacturers have generous return policies (they really do want you to be satisfied). And electric/blade are not mutually exclusive - I use both routinely. And while you can't shave dry with a blade (although it would be a noble experiment), you can shave wet or dry with many electrics, and I use all of my electrics with the same software and hardware as I use for my DEs - soap, brush and scuttle. You can also use an electric to touch up a blade shave, and get the best of both worlds. The main caveats for electrics are 1) It may take some time for your skin to adapt to using an electric, or to adjust to a different electric. Manufacturers usually recommend about a month, although my experience is you'll notice a difference in a couple of weeks. And 2) Electrics are designed and work best on a short beard, as in usually daily shaving. If you wait for your beard to grow out and shave once a week, an electric may not be the best choice. Give it a try - the worst you can lose is a little time, and it may open up a new shaving world for you!

Top Bottom