What's new

Focus R48 Razor first shave advice

Just had my first shave with my new Focus R48. I had read every post here on B&B and watched every video I could find about this razor before I bought it and felt my first shave would be fine.

And I still ripped my face up!
Why?
The blade was not seated on the posts right and was set too far forward, not by much, like 0.005 inch.

Do yourself a favor if you get one of these razors and use small piece of Scotch tape (1/2in. x1/4in.) and tape the blade to the top cap after you set it in place.
I did this after I finished the shave with a mild DE razor and used an after shave balm to soothe my burning face. The R48 was now so mild and smooth I used it to touch up my shave with nothing on my face but the now set in after shave balm.
If you read the other post about the R48 you'll find that some people tried it once and gave up. It may have been the blade was not in place, if it is off just a little it will tear you up.

I will let my face rest for a couple of days and do a second shave and I'm sure it will be far better than the first.

The R48 is by far my favorite razor. I love it for the closeness and comfort I get as an everyday shaver. Not that great on multi day growth but I have other razors for that. For day-after-day can't be beat; at least for me.

But I hate the blade loading process! I wonder why they could not have put some pins for the blade shoulders like the RR Eco does.

I am definitely going to try your tip and see how it works for me.

Funnily enough, they put pins in the R50, but not the R48. I use my R48 for when I need something really mild and have had some irritation on my neck. I found that German Wilkinson Swords work really well, and that is when I have the least issues assembling the razor with no blade issues. YMMV

Just had my second shave (First "Real" Shave) with the R48 and I am not at all disappointed with the razor. I would recommend it to someone who is used to cartridge razors and advise that there is still a learning curve.

I went from an electric razor for over 40 years to DE razors 4 years ago along with SE and injector razors. My go to razors are a Gold Gillette Executive Fat Boy and a Merkur Progress Long Handle. My Schick Adjustable would be my go to razor if not for a lack of blade selection.

I tried a cartridge razor about a year and a half ago, a disposable Gillette Mach III for sensitive skin, and got maybe the best shave I've ever had. I had to do 5 passes with 3 touch ups but got a BBS shave and no irritation. Too much plastic and price put me off that razor though.

The R48 gave a little razor burn but as I said there is a learning curve. You need to use some pressure on the head and too many passes can cause burn.
I used an Astra SP blade and Cremo Classic shave cream, smooth blade and slick soap.
I feel this razor is going to get a lot of use for a long time to come.

Guide pins would be great but it looks like the cap and base plate are made from cast aluminum and retooling the die may cost too much.

As for using the tape you may find it a little tricky at first to get it in the right place but once it's there so is the blade. After my shave I took the cap off to wash off the soap and dropped it on a towel, the blade stayed in the cap. That little piece of tape makes a big difference with this razor.

Bonus!!! One of the 6 tooth brush holes in the old wall mounted soap dish is big enough for the handle to fit through. Prefect storage place as none of the newer tooth brush handles will fit there.

Last edited:
If the blade is not correctly seated, the shave is awful! I find GSB fits correctly every time.

Top Bottom