What's new

Focus on Vintage DEs for 2 Weeks: 4/1 - 4/15

I took a break from DE shaving tonight and went into full shavette mode, but there's a question I've been meaning to ask David (@never-stop-learning): I think you'd mentioned on a thread about "Tech clones" that there's a certain technique you like to use when shaving with a Tech . . . but I was hoping you would offer some further insight. Since this is on-topic in this thread, do you mind spending a few minutes explaining? Thanks for starting a really cool thread. Now, please excuse me while I go drool over that picture of @Mlee's Old Type. That thing looks incredible.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I took a break from DE shaving tonight and went into full shavette mode, but there's a question I've been meaning to ask David (@never-stop-learning): I think you'd mentioned on a thread about "Tech clones" that there's a certain technique you like to use when shaving with a Tech . . . but I was hoping you would offer some further insight. Since this is on-topic in this thread, do you mind spending a few minutes explaining? Thanks for starting a really cool thread. Now, please excuse me while I go drool over that picture of @Mlee's Old Type. That thing looks incredible.

There sure is a lot of vintage eye-candy on this thread. :001_wub:

Original Tech Technique: Before anything else, build a great lather! Then - 1) Start with the handle almost perpendicular to your face. 2) Move the handle down until you feel the blade engage with your beard. 3) No (or very minimal) pressure. 4) Short strokes. Aim for gradual beard removal, not trying to get everything with the first pass. 5. Be patient. Make sure you have lather on the area you are shaving.

Updated Tech Technique: Before anything else, build a great lather! Then - 1) Load a Kai or a Feather blade. 2) Go Steep - Ride the guard, start with the handle almost parallel to your face. 3) Minimal, but appropriate pressure to let the guard stretch the skin a very small amount. 4) Short strokes. You are still aiming for gradual beard removal, not trying to get everything with the first pass. 5. Be patient. Make sure you have lather on the area you are shaving.

I find myself going steep for the main shave and then, on my problem areas, going shallow for touch-ups and buffing.

As always, YMMV.

Hope this helps. :)

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Vintage Gillette flat bottom oc made in England
Fresh Med Prep
Hudson river mahogany synthetic Graydog
Captain's choice
Mash up of last week's soap
PXL_20210412_112124205.PORTRAIT~2.jpg
PXL_20210412_120452587.PORTRAIT.jpg

Updated Tech Technique: Before anything else, build a great lather! Then - 1) Load a Kai or a Feather blade. 2) Go Steep - Ride the guard, start with the handle almost parallel to your face. 3) Minimal, but appropriate pressure to let the guard stretch the skin a very small amount. 4) Short strokes. You are still aiming for gradual beard removal, not trying to get everything with the first pass. 5. Be patient. Make sure you have lather on the area you are shaving.

I find myself going steep for the main shave and then, on my problem areas, going shallow for touch-ups and buffing.

Thanks! This was a great explanation. I have found myself gravitating towards your "updated" method, using a steep angle at first and then a shallow one later for touch-ups. The steep angle early on helps promote a very light touch, and generates nice audio feedback. I appreciated the reminder to try a Kai blade--I have been meaning to do that.

This was a nice, compact summary of good shaving technique, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who will benefit from reading it.

:thumbup1:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thanks! This was a great explanation. I have found myself gravitating towards your "updated" method, using a steep angle at first and then a shallow one later for touch-ups. The steep angle early on helps promote a very light touch, and generates nice audio feedback. I appreciated the reminder to try a Kai blade--I have been meaning to do that.

This was a nice, compact summary of good shaving technique, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who will benefit from reading it.

:thumbup1:

Thank you very much. I appreciate the feedback. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Monday 20210412
Vintage April
Razor: Barbasol Floating Head
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (4)
Brush: Ever-Ready 200 (26mm "Manchurian Finest" Knot)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Martin de Candre Nature
Moisturizer: Nivea Post Shave Balm + Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: RazoRock Unlabeled Project
20210412_204113~2.jpg

A very efficient and effective DE, the Barbasol Floating Head requires your attention. Give it the proper respect and attention to detail and you will be rewarded with an excellent result. :thumbup:

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Monday 20210412
Vintage April
View attachment 1250648
A very efficient and effective DE, the Barbasol Floating Head requires your attention. Give it the proper respect and attention to detail and you will be rewarded with an excellent result. :thumbup:
Good morning my friend,
It's been a long while since I have used the Reds, how do you compare them to the Med Prep blades?

Monday 20210412
Vintage April
View attachment 1250648
A very efficient and effective DE, the Barbasol Floating Head requires your attention. Give it the proper respect and attention to detail and you will be rewarded with an excellent result. [emoji106]
Doesn't get much better than the Barbasol. Think I'll take mine out.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Brush: Parker silver tip?
Soap: Razorock inauguration
Razor: Gillette 1946-47 Aristocrat
Blade: 1948 Gillette thin
After: SW Tres Matreshttps://southernwitchcrafts.com/product/tres-matres-vegan-shave-soap/
the old thin blade was a bit draggy at first but I put that up to not showering before the shave. ATG 2nd pass was very smooth
inauguration, rose and Tres Matres made for a delightful flower forward spring shave.
DSCF9579.JPG

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Tuesday 20210413
Vintage April
Razor: Personna "BBS-0" (England) (Evgeny Koshelev (rusdrunkbear) Ti Handle)
Blade: Feather (2)
Brush: Rudy Vey Persian Jar (Shavemac 24mm Finest)
Aftershave: Bootlegger's El Dorado
20210413_201659~2.jpg

The Personna "BBS-0" is in my Top Tier of vintage razors and also definitely Runs With The Big Dogs in my Den. :thumbup:

Excellent shave! :cool:

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Well today is Wolfman Wednesday 🥰
And it was My intention to follow the prescribed day and also honor the vintage journey of April , so I figured that I would just use two razors and kill two birds with one stone. So I started off with good intentions and everything set up
Rosie was first up and would have the first pass ........ well something happened algo the shave. Rosie was not going away , I could not help myself and she just kept going for all 3 passes . That Rosie what a selfish razor she is 😜
So BBS in 3 and how could I complain
The wolf just sat off to the side and watched , sorry Wolfie
PXL_20210414_121005019.PORTRAIT~2.jpg
PXL_20210414_130839863.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

Brush: Shavemac synthetic
Soap: L'occitane lavande
Bowl: antique find made by alyson
Razor: Brit Gillette Aristocrat #16
Blade: 1948 Gillette thin
After: Avon Wild country from a train
even with a shower the blade was still a bit plucky, gonna strop it before it goes into the new LC for next shave. it's been fun to use a blade that is period correct for my aristocrats. the L'occitane lavande has since lost it's smell and the lather was full but not slick enough for my liking.
vinage.jpg

Top Bottom