What's new

Focus Dynamic R50

So after making the rounds with the hotly debated R48...I decided I really like mine a lot. In fact I keep going back and forth trying to decide between that & my OneBlade Hybrid (another heavily debated razor) I was pretty excited to recently have found out about the R50, and all stainless steel version. Just found, and pulled the trigger on it a little bit ago. Anyone else have experience with this version? Thanks!

Focus R50 Stainless Steel Dynamic Single Edge Safety Razor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Featuring its signature razor head with spring mount to maintain a 25 degree angle, the Dynamic R50 glides across skin, conforming to the natural contour of the face.
I guess that's the "dynamic" part.

So after making the rounds with the hotly debated R48...I decided I really like mine a lot. In fact I keep going back and forth trying to decide between that & my OneBlade Hybrid (another heavily debated razor) I was pretty excited to recently have found out about the R50, and all stainless steel version. Just found, and pulled the trigger on it a little bit ago. Anyone else have experience with this version? Thanks!

Focus R50 Stainless Steel Dynamic Single Edge Safety Razor

I'll be interested for a comparison between the 2.

Since you own the R48, have you had any problems with the screws on the top plate coming loose, and what blades do u use? Thanks!

I use the R48 pretty much every week day. No problems with the top plate coming loose at all. I use german Wilkinsons. Have tried Feathers but for some reason get a closer and more comfortable shave with the Wilkies.

Since you own the R48, have you had any problems with the screws on the top plate coming loose, and what blades do u use? Thanks!

I haven’t had any issues at all with the screws. Loading in general is much easier actually than I had anticipated. I use Feather blades which in the R48 provide a mild and efficient shave.

I use the R48 pretty much every week day. No problems with the top plate coming loose at all. I use german Wilkinsons. Have tried Feathers but for some reason get a closer and more comfortable shave with the Wilkies.
I must've been sold a defective Razor through BST on a different forum because I had to constantly tighten/loosen the screws on the base plate or else it wouldn't take the blade and impacted the shave, I might just have to pick up a brand new R48 off of a trusted site and give it another go

I must've been sold a defective Razor through BST on a different forum because I had to constantly tighten/loosen the screws on the base plate or else it wouldn't take the blade and impacted the shave, I might just have to pick up a brand new R48 off of a trusted site and give it another go

How do you tighten or loosen the screws?

I have been shaving with the R50 for a couple of weeks after having used the R48 for over a year. The R48 was my daily shaver and provided the best combo of comfort and closeness of all razors I have tried. The downside with the R48 was that it was not good on 3 or more days growth and I would break out my iKon X3 when the hairs got too long.

The R50 seems better to me. The geometry of the razor seems exactly the same as the R48 but the additional weight seems to provide a smoother and more consistent experience. And the performance seems much better with longer hairs and I find that I no longer need to use anything else. And it just feels better being heavier.

All in all, I am glad I upgraded and it is now my daily shaver. The R48 is now for travel.

I still foray back into open blades, SEs, and DEs when the interest strikes and I have time. But none give me as good a shave as the R50.

Is the blade held the same way in both r48 and r50? I have the r48 and think I may like the heavier feel of the r50.

I have both the R48 and the R50. They are identical with the exception of the material. The blade is held in exactly the same way.
I have been using the R50 for about a month now and find that I prefer it to the R48. The shave technique is exactly the same as the geometry is the same but I think the weight of the steel gives it a smoother ride over your skin. I also find that the R50 is better at longer whiskers than the R48, perhaps because of the weight as well.

why didnt you like it? i am wanting to try the r48..
Sorry late to reply, just saw this. I didn’t like the R48 due to the inefficiency. No matter how I loaded the blade which can be a pain, the razor barely shaved that I would need the equivalent of a 5 pass shave compared to most others. I thought the Leaf razor was more effective with even one blade and that can use 3.

Sorry late to reply, just saw this. I didn’t like the R48 due to the inefficiency. No matter how I loaded the blade which can be a pain, the razor barely shaved that I would need the equivalent of a 5 pass shave compared to most others. I thought the Leaf razor was more effective with even one blade and that can use 3.
ok and thanks for the reply

The R48 was my daily shaver for awhile.
I think that if I hadn't gone to the Schick adjustable with twin blades, I would still be using it.
The R50 looks intriguing. I like the idea of using half a DE blade.
I wonder how they would do with a Personna 74 blade in it.

I ponder: Is a DE blade snapped in half really SE shaving? Um, no. I wish the genius who thought that up would go away. My comfortable flat-earth of SE injector blades brings me happiness. Go Schick or Go Frick. :c9:

Top Bottom