What's new

FOCS Users: I need your help

Is this aligned correctly? I haven’t had the same great results that everybody seems to have with theirs. It’s been less than 24 hours and my face already feels like a cactus again. I can try to take better photos if needed.
0C664867-42BC-42EE-B3B9-C77FAC7F3D2D.jpegAC530270-2E60-4250-AE1B-61AE4DEC9C15.jpeg37E80C4B-3783-4054-BCF5-E989A3531252.jpeg

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The alignment is correct. It looks indeed odd though. This uneven blade exposure from above is also not the case with every slant.

As I usually shave rather with a STEEP angle, which caused me quite some problems with the Blackbird OC lately, there are also slants that want to be at 45° or ride the cap: The Razorock Wunderbar for instance. It doesn't even shave at all at a steep angle.

Edit: The "FOCS" is also called "Lo Storto" which translates to "the crooked" for a reason. Not only the head/comb seems twisted. :blink:

Yes. The blade should line up with the baseplate teeth (not the cap), which it is doing.

Shaving steep, i.e. riding the guard (the open comb teeth) is usually the best way with slants (and Fatips in particular) IMO. Or to put it another way — keep the handle close to your face.
Thank you for your help. I’ll keep working on it

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Been wondering about that mask for some time. Now after reading your post it hit me it might be some kind of a preacher head wear. :lol:
What do you preach? :c1:

It's such a cool looking album cover. :cool:

From Wikipedia:

"Trout Mask Replica sold poorly upon its initial release in the United States, where it failed to appear in any charts. It was more successful in the United Kingdom, where it spent a week at number 21 on the UK Albums Chart.[4] In recent years, however, Trout Mask Replica has been widely regarded as the masterpiece of Beefheart's musical career, as well as an important influence on many subsequent artists.[2] Its highly unconventional musical style, which includes polyrhythm, multi-octave vocals, and polytonality, continues to polarize audiences and has given the album a reputation as one of the most challenging recordings in the 20th century musical canon. It was ranked number 60 on Rolling Stone's 2012 edition of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time list, and has appeared on the "best of" lists of many other publications."

Last edited:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Trout Mask Replica is a very interesting album. Fast and bulbous!

With reference to the FOCS, I may be making an iconoclastic suggestion but once you've tried the tips above you might consider shimming the blade. A second blade (used, with 1mm of the edges trimmed off each side) under the working blade (between blade and baseplate) will open up the blade gap just a tad and pep up the shave. Or source some Kai DE blades -- slightly thicker and wider than others.

That won't work for all faces or even for all FOCS razors -- but for my skin and the razor I have a shim works like a charm.

O.H.

That looks fairly well aligned. For me, FOCS took a while to enjoy. It was good and then rough and back and forth for a while and now it's mostly good. It's a good razor but I still prefer some others over it.

I had a FOCS but never had very good results from it so I sold it. Open combs just don’t work for me for some reason. Lots of love around here for the FOCS, but it wasn’t for me.

Hopefully you’ll get it figured out after some more use. It is a cool looking razor. I had high hopes for it but it wasn’t in my cards I guess.

Top Bottom