What's new

FNG here checking in

Just wanted to say thank you all for creating such a great community and a wealth of resources. I've lurked here for awhile, but finally registered when I saw the Scotto sample deal I couldn't pass up.

A little about me:
I'm 27, married with one kid. Read an article about 6 weeks ago about the benefits of using a brush/DE combo and how it could reduce irritation from shaving. I have a pretty heavy case of dermatitis in my mustache/goatee area that gets exacerbated when shaving.

So I went out and bought a $2 puck of williams and a $6 CVS boar brush to get me started. Immediately I saw the benefits even while still using my Fusion cartridge razor. I began the hunt for a DE. I felt kind of silly ordering one online (mainly because of the wife's reaction to the act of ordering a razor), so I kept looking and looking. Finally I called my grandmother and she sent me my grandfather's Gilette adjustable and his Ever Ready brush from circa 1950.

I learned several important lessons about a DE that first night that I should've checked here for guidance first.
1 - my $6 CVS brush was $6 for a reason. Mid-application, the middle third of the brush just came off. Some on my face, mostly in the sink. Had to rinse my face off and start over.
2 - Using the same scalding hot water that you use for the soap/brush as a rinse for an all metal razor then directly applying said razor to your face is a bad idea. It burns like a ****. Warm water is just fine for rinsing.
3 - If you have any bumps on your face whatsoever, a DE will find them and eradicate them without prejudice. Those bumps will bleed.
4 - Definitely should've used some shave balm without alcohol though. Shooee that stung.
5 - The adjustable part of the adjustable DE does not work like hair or beard clippers. The higher the number, the LESS room for error one has. Tore myself up a little bit that first night, but checked here and learned my lesson.

Got the samples from Scotto today.

Just shaved with the Nancy Boy. Based on my prior experience of can foam, can gel, williams mug soap and proraso - if proraso is a steal @ $5.99/tube I'd gladly pay $40 for a jar of NB. Absolutely incredible. Silky smooth, easy lather, good coverage, light on the fragrance. Can't wait to compare it to the other cream samples.

As far as decants go, Blenheim bouquet may damn well be the best thing I've ever smelled. Seriously, you owe it to yourself to get ahold of at least a sample if you haven't tried it.

Thanks again to all who make this community what it is.

cblalock said:
As far as decants go, Blenheim bouquet may damn well be the best thing I've ever smelled. .

Amen, brother! Although, I think it's a tie with 1870.

Welcome to B&B! Glad to see you're on your way to many acquisition disorders.

Well FNG(we are talking about the same thing aren't we?LOL), you've done it now. It's pointless to resist my young apprentice. There is no turning back and who would want to? This is one of the best "discoveries" any gent could stumble upon. It's too bad it's come to that. I was lucky. My first shave was with my Dad's Gillette DE. Most fellas these days have never seen one live and in technicolor till they hit these forums and order one.

Two pieces of advice because you've already grasped the basics. First of all, prep and blade/technique. Warm water splashes or soaking with a wetted wash cloth if you're like me and have tough beard hairs. This goes a long way toward making the actual shaving a lot easier. Blades. Keep one that's sharp. The truth is, no one razor and blade combo is universally the best. Your Gillette adj. is as good as any so before you try another razor, try a variety of blades in what you've got. After trying the Feathers in an adjustable, I have found the ideal balde for ME in that razor. Always give a new razor/blade a couple of weeks(using more than one blade!)before deciding it's good or bad. Despite what you'd think, you CAN get a bad blade right out of the box. I've managed to get one from every brand I've tried. If you're getting butchered two shaves into a new blade, chuck it and try another. You'll soon discover what works for you and what doesn't.

Aftershave. While there is no end of discussion about shave lathers, aftershave products are the holy grail of the wethshaver. I've only used one that I would rate excellent+ and it has been reformulated so I don't use it anymore. A/S products are also the most expensive per oz. as well other than colognes but they are not necessary to shaving, only smelling good. These want a goodly amount of experimenting I think. Remember, every gents face and skin is different and a rave or negative review may be of little use to you though usually a strong consensus one way or the other on a product by long timers is decent enough barometer. The n'th degree we discuss things like latherability and lather stability are sometimes being discussed in minute detail. Most of the good name products are actually VERY close to each other in perfromance and you're unlikely to see a huge dropoff between say Trumper, AOS, Truefitt, and Castle Forbes. At least with creams. Hard soaps are a different critter and the lather can be a bit different. Play around with the creams for a few weeks til you get the urge to branch out to soaps. Don't worry, it WILL happen.

Last, the colognes. Blenheim suits you yes? What a wonderful world of scent awaits your nose. Wait till you sniff Flois 89, Trumper Eucris, Trumper Spanish Leather, Penhailgon's English Fern, etc. These British colognes are a bit different than the continental style colognes from France and the designer U.S. scents. To me, the continental stuff is more "perfumey", and the designer stuff smells more synthetic. That is TOTALLY subjective on my part so sniff for yourself. I warn you, those English scents can become addictive. This from a guy who didn't wear cologne for over 20 years because it smelled like overdone shampoo to me. The stuff from Trumper, Truefitt, Penhaligon's, Floris, Taylor, D.R. Harris are my favourites. Okay, enough from me. I'm sure others will chime in with better advice. Welcome aboard and check your credit card.

Regards, Todd

If you happen to be lucky enough to live near a Penhaligon's then you MUST stop by...you are in for a real treat. Their scents are very well done...and if you aren't near one then send them an email...they will send out samples to you. I guaranty that you will enjoy some of their other scents...

Welcome...

Phog Allen said:
Aftershave. While there is no end of discussion about shave lathers, aftershave products are the holy grail of the wethshaver.

I forgot to add this in my original post, but I've been using unscented Nivea shave balm since that first night. So far it feels good and is readily available at Target/Wal-mart etc. I'm certainly open to suggestions from the pros though.

Last, the colognes. Blenheim suits you yes? What a wonderful world of scent awaits your nose. Wait till you sniff Flois 89, Trumper Eucris, Trumper Spanish Leather, Penhailgon's English Fern, etc. These British colognes are a bit different than the continental style colognes from France and the designer U.S. scents. To me, the continental stuff is more "perfumey", and the designer stuff smells more synthetic. That is TOTALLY subjective on my part so sniff for yourself. I warn you, those English scents can become addictive. This from a guy who didn't wear cologne for over 20 years because it smelled like overdone shampoo to me. The stuff from Trumper, Truefitt, Penhaligon's, Floris, Taylor, D.R. Harris are my favourites. Okay, enough from me. I'm sure others will chime in with better advice.

Regards, Todd

Methinks this could get expensive. Not that I'm complaining, but the wife may ;-)

A simple way to see if they are BSing is to cut down your 100g bar to the same size as their 55g bar. Now weight them both. If they weigh the same then they are lying. If their bar weighs more, then it has greater density.

Or if you want to spare your 100g bar you could just measure all three sides of both bars. Multiply the height * width * depth to get cubic centemeters and then devide the grams for that bar by the cubic centemeters to get a grams-per-cubic-centemeter for each bar.

It would be interesting to know if they are being truthful.

Welcome! That Blenheim is intoxicating indeed. The 1870 didn't float my boat the first time around, but I may have to try again.

Welcome Cblalock and happy shaving.. watch out for these gents tho.. they will empty your savings account!!

Bear Hugs!

Sue (Mama Bear)

Mama Bear said:
Welcome Cblalock and happy shaving.. watch out for these gents tho.. they will empty your savings account!!

Bear Hugs!

Sue (Mama Bear)

Mama Bear! We don't empty other peoples' savings accounts (though any and all donations to my shaving fund are welcome), we merely just direct them the the appropriate places to empty their accounts by saying things like "Have your tried soap X? It's amazing, great lather, so slick, wonderful scent!" And of course everyone who reads that is obligated to go out and try said soap to find out if the hype is justified. See the difference? :wink:

fuerein said:
Mama Bear! We don't empty other peoples' savings accounts (though any and all donations to my shaving fund are welcome), we merely just direct them the the appropriate places to empty their accounts by saying things like "Have your tried soap X? It's amazing, great lather, so slick, wonderful scent!" And of course everyone who reads that is obligated to go out and try said soap to find out if the hype is justified. See the difference? :wink:

You've lived too close to DC for too long my friend. You have seemingly perfected the bipartisan two-step. :wink:

cblalock said:
You've lived too close to DC for too long my friend. You have seemingly perfected the bipartisan two-step. :wink:

Wow and I only moved out here last June, so just over a year. I acclimated to DC fast! Wait, is that a good thing? :confused:

Top Bottom