What's new

FN AR15 Carbine? Or Keep the S&W?

I have a chance to acquire a new FN AR 5.56 rifle for pretty cheap...like around $1,000.00. Issue is, I'm rather content with my S&W MagPul MOE rifle. The 1:8 5R rifled barrel and majority of the internal components are pretty high quality and the rifle has proven most reliable over the years. Many people still sing the praises of the Colt platform. Mil-spec and all that. I'm certain it's a good one. No quarrel. But, keeping in mind not all that long ago, the Colt rifle kind of lost favor with some of the military operators. Seems the high end guys like SEALS, Delta, Rangers, etc. were not enthralled with what Colt was giving them. FN then picked up the ball and everyone seemed happy once more.
Colt has the contract again but only half. FN kept the other half...so who knows?
I own both FN and Colt firearms (albeit handguns) and am totally satisfied with the quality of both manufacturers. But as the asking price on the FN rifle is reasonable my question, will be to any FN owners...is there that much advantage to replacing the S&W with it? No, I surely have no need for two ARs.
9AB93B24-D23E-4F54-9553-DA99C50D2178.jpeg
7E4E5CA9-5C9A-48B8-ADCA-ED00FC630599.jpeg
E1E1667B-45B2-4D00-A5C7-13E899EF2BAE.jpeg
08CEA94E-386E-43DA-950F-D2254CA8FFC7.jpeg
5E73DB07-7532-424F-9457-0A91538DCD9C.jpeg

My thought is keep the S&W AR15. If you want something new then get a red dot, or some mags and ammo. Wait we are talking about the original S&W 15 and not a sport? If it’s the 15 I would keep it. S&W has a great warranty, and is good to go.
Btw I have S&W, Ruger, Sig,colt, etc. I no longer have a FN. just so happens some one wanted a trade and I was offered something I couldn’t refuse. I haven’t replaced it as it’s really no loss over the others.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Listen, pal....

If you are asking purchase advice around here you already know the answer. Get it. Have both. Never mind the fact that you are asking, which is indicative of wanting to purchase the item. But you are asking on B&B, the #1 forum for no restraint.

Get it.

Ha I just gave restrain, and reason of doing so (mags, ammo)! However since you mention it, it’s not my $ do as you wish and but it.

However if it were me red dot, mags, ammo!!
Listen, pal....

If you are asking purchase advice around here you already know the answer. Get it. Have both. Never mind the fact that you are asking, which is indicative of wanting to purchase the item. But you are asking on B&B, the #1 forum for no restraint.

Get it.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I would also say get the FN and keep the S&W. You got the S&W on a great deal so keep it. And you can't beat the quality of the FN, plus the 1:8 barrel will shoot the gammit from light 55'rs to heavy 77'rs.

Get both. I have a S&W and it would look real nice upside an FN. If I couldn’t have both and could afford it, it would be the FN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
No experience with FN, but I'm sure the quality is there. To me, the modularity of the AR platform almost demands that you have more than one. Although you may initially end up with two nearly identical carbines, you could buy or build another upper in a different caliber or barrel length and swap uppers with the S&W and shoot a Grendel or .350 Legend or what ever.

Get the FN. Primary and a backup. Maybe put a Low Power Variable Optic on one and leave the red dot on the other.

Or

Get just the Low Power Variable Optic, buy some ammo and take a class with the new optic on the S&W. With the right scope, mount and some witness marks, a repeatable zero despite removing the optic should be quite achievable.

F167349D-50C2-4232-8E15-AA99C464CC48.jpeg

Decisions, decisions.....
Well, it's out of stock at the moment. Perhaps the final decision will be at hand when it's available again.

Seems to me you need a good bolt action in 25-06 that'll reach out and touch stuff when you're walking the lonely power lines home.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Do you have an AR-10? If not you need to get the FN and S&W in 7.62 as well.

Just trying to be helpful Tim. :whistling:

For those long distance situations, I'm good. Browning A-Bolt .30-06 and Browning BAR .300 Win Mag get it done

4DA79900-FBD4-4CA4-9B64-7DBF2D2EC821.jpeg

7.62x39?
Actually have a Ruger Mini-30 that I truly enjoy. Got that base covered.

18DC8D87-9B7E-4A8D-94CD-9AFABF38813A.jpeg

Still too...have that new Colt Python to deal with in the future. Thinking that's gonna be a real long shot though (pun intended).

I already have two world class grandchildren and a wonderful son.
Sorry. No more room left in the pickup.🙁
4A043F01-0390-4C4A-8954-5EEFA493859C.jpeg
8410A841-30EB-4672-868D-B994B1E1CCF9.jpeg
BD83189D-9BC2-4C26-A65E-6AF8AB7DF03A.jpeg

Top Bottom