What's new

FMC Alternative ?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Although I stocked up on Frog Morton Cellar, possibly a lifetime supply, just wondering, is there a near match alternative in what's currently available?

Not that I am aware of. FMC was pretty distinctive. If you're a big fan, you were wise to stock up.

Hopefully I end up detesting it as I only have 2 3.5 tins.
I think that's about what I have as well. I enjoy it, but I can't smoke it often. I think my last tin was open for about two years. I won't feel like I've lost anything important when it's gone.

I think that's about what I have as well. I enjoy it, but I can't smoke it often. I think my last tin was open for about two years. I won't feel like I've lost anything important when it's gone.

I can only say the same.
In fact, I didn't even buy more when I heard the news and I had the time to do it when it was in stock. I have two 100g tins and one of them has been open for a year already and I would say has the better part of half left.

I'm not a fan of the topping/casing or whatever it is. It tastes nice, but it's more like a super sweet cheesecake to indulge in a couple times a year.

To the OP,
Have you tried Peter Stokkebye English Luxury? It's not quite the same. But a little close, imo. It has the sweetness but lacks on the whiskey flavouring.

Not a real similar blend, but I think SG Bothy Flake is one of the better whisky-flavoured latakia tobacco's out there. Maybe worth a shot.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@KaeJS , yes I have some PS English Luxury on hand in my cellar. I may have smoked some, not sure. I bought a few English bulk tobaccos last year at one time, some I haven't tried yet.
@Wilfredio , I haven't tried SG Bothy Flake yet, but I'll put some in my next cart if its available.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
@KaeJS , yes I have some PS English Luxury on hand in my cellar. I may have smoked some, not sure. I bought a few English bulk tobaccos last year at one time, some I haven't tried yet.
@Wilfredio , I haven't tried SG Bothy Flake yet, but I'll put some in my next cart if its available.

I am sitting on 10 100 gr tins of FMC. I wonder what would happen if you take the wooden barrel cubes from the empty FMC tins and thru them in with some PS English luxury for awhile if anything?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I am sitting on 10 100 gr tins of FMC. I wonder what would happen if you take the wooden barrel cubes from the empty FMC tins and thru them in with some PS English luxury for awhile if anything?

How strongly does the stave smell? I wonder if you could just top an English with some whiskey?

OkieStubble

How strongly does the stave smell? I wonder if you could just top an English with some whiskey?

The stave smells just like the tobacco to me. I don't know if i know how to top an English with whiskey. I know how to chase the English with whiskey?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
The stave smells just like the tobacco to me. I don't know if i know to top an English with whiskey. I know how to chase the English with whiskey?

I haven’t done it either but..

You would put some whiskey, maybe Johnny Black for the peat, in a spritz bottle. I might dry out the English a bit before spraying it with the Whiskey. Mix it up a bit then jar it up to meld up the flavors. Or put it in a press and make a Krumble Kake!!

I have a sneaking feeling McClelland topped their blend with flavoring and threw in the stave for marketing?

Darn I really need to crack one of my 2 tins of FMC to try it myself.

OkieStubble

You would put some whiskey, maybe Johnny Black for the peat, in a spritz bottle. I might dry out the English a bit before spraying it with the Whiskey. Mix it up a bit then jar it up to meld up the flavors. Or put it in a press and make a Krumble Kake!!

I have a sneaking feeling McClelland topped their blend with flavoring and threw in the stave for marketing?

Great idea.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

While the block in the tin was partially a gimmick move, I believe they claimed to have aged the tobacco in barrels. I am not sure they had a reputation for falsehoods.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
While the block in the tin was partially a gimmick move, I believe they claimed to have aged the tobacco in barrels. I am not sure they had a reputation for falsehoods.

Well to be fair their website only claims the blend is “enhanced with stave cubes”, so in reality they don’t really say how and from what the whisky flavor comes from. The idea of the flavoring coming from the stave may have been my misunderstanding.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Well to be fair their website only claims the blend is “enhanced with stave cubes”, so in reality they don’t really say how and from what the whisky flavor comes from. The idea of the flavoring coming from the stave may have been my misunderstanding.
I wish I could point to where I read about the barrel aging, but it escapes me right now.

Top Bottom