What's new

Flying with your wetshaving gear

Carry on weight allowances keep getting less and less. By the time you account for the weight of the bag you’re not left with much more than enough space for a weekend away. I generally pack my chosen travel kit as checked baggage. If it’s one or two nights and I can get away with carry on, I will generally forgoe the shave gear. I’ve never lost a bag and generally carry travel insurance. While not cheap, all of my travel gear is replaceable.

D697C9A7-6DAD-481A-A954-DE711334E847.jpeg

I fly with: badger brush in a travel tube, shave stick (currently DR Harris Marlborough), AS balm in a tube (currently PDP no. 63), EDT in a travel atomizer (usually L'Occitane).

If checking, I will bring a less precious DE such as GC or Lupo and some blades. I will often bring a tuck of Feathers even if I'm not using them just for used blade slot. If carrying on, I will bring single blade disposables. Bic metals are my favorite but the bic yellow plastic ones are easier to find.

Carry on weight allowances keep getting less and less. By the time you account for the weight of the bag you’re not left with much more than enough space for a weekend away. I generally pack my chosen travel kit as checked baggage. If it’s one or two nights and I can get away with carry on, I will generally forgoe the shave gear. I’ve never lost a bag and generally carry travel insurance. While not cheap, all of my travel gear is replaceable.

View attachment 1203540
Love that setup. Very cool.

I fly with: badger brush in a travel tube, shave stick (currently DR Harris Marlborough), AS balm in a tube (currently PDP no. 63), EDT in a travel atomizer (usually L'Occitane).

If checking, I will bring a less precious DE such as GC or Lupo and some blades. I will often bring a tuck of Feathers even if I'm not using them just for used blade slot. If carrying on, I will bring single blade disposables. Bic metals are my favorite but the bic yellow plastic ones are easier to find.
I can't shave with a Bic disposable for the life of me. One stroke and the thing is chok full of gunk, impossible to rinse off. I own several Gillette Techs that I bought for cheap. Disassembled, I hope it's not cause for concern. But then again... You never know when the security agent likes it, and declares it dangerous, in order to confiscate it to his private stash. Any TSA guys on here to give us the inside scoop? 😁

When flying light with only cabin luggage, I take a Merkur 933CL travel DE safety razor (without a blade) broken down, with the various pieces (two head pieces and three (an extra small section) handle pieces) distributed around the cabin bags with which I am travelling (small cabin bag, small wheeled case, Bagket jacket bag) and buy DE blades (five pack or a single from a local barber) when I arrive at my destination (not so useful when on a multi-stop trip). I have not yet tried taking a bladeless shavette or bladeless ring razor (both using a half DE blade) in my hand luggage, since I have always assumed that a baggage security officer would regard these as a potential 'weapon of threat' even without a blade (has anyone got one of these through security either without issue or through argument?). Even when travelling with checked hold luggage, I am loathe to take a straight razor or kamisori when staying in a hotel, in case it gets dinged accidentally by a room cleaner, should I forgetfully leave it lying about in the bathroom. The accompanying shaving kit is all of small travel size, including a Simpson Wee Scot brush and Arko shave soap in a small twist-up (glue stick) container.

I keep my razor in my hand luggage. Without a blade. I show the razor to security. They inspect it and let me through. When I get to where I'm going I go to a drugstore and buy whatever blade they have.

I travel with a Micro Touch cartridge razor, one or two 16mm badger brushes in travel cases, choice of shaving soap in small cosmetic jars, and very small plastic bottles of after shave (Bootleggers, Clubman, and Aqua Velva). The after shave bottles a repurposed bottles from hotel amenities. It works for me.

lasta

Blade Biter
On short trips, I take no shaving gear.

Most hotels have Bic type disposables. The nicer ones might even send you up a Mach 3/Fusion.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I remember when I was staying in Bengbu, Peoples Republic China at the Howard Johnson hotel. I was doing some work there for the PLA Navy. My room had a Dorco disposable supplied. I had brought a DE razor with me. I had forgotten to bring some DE blades with me.

I contacted the hotel's concierge and asked if there were any razor blades available. Ten minutes later there was a bellboy at my door with a selection of about half-a-dozen DE blades on a cushion for me to choose from. I loved staying at that hotel.

Last edited:
Bare minimum for carry on is a 75ml Proraso travel tub a 19mm Mühle STF some travel size AS and up until now either a Gillette Blue II (borderline usable) or a Bic Metal (excellent).

This Christmas I got a P II/Trac II that is waiting for its first trip. The first few shaves were good and close.

For checked luggage/car travel it’s a Gillette Super Blue and whatever I’m currently using.

6FEB9728-08EE-416A-B831-3435EB9B9AD6.jpeg

BFE8D6D7-4165-4C2E-AB39-B4464D0C7650.jpeg

0D9779CB-B5ED-4E3A-9B75-55971F10DD03.jpeg

I dont think your going to get a well packed razor and brush damaged in a checked bag. A guy rummaging through a checked bag for valuables won't think much of your $200 razor, they just dont know the value. On carry on I actually put my razor in my pocket with out a blade. When I go through TSA I put the razor opened with my keys in the little tray. I have placed a blade in my Dopp kit in a sewing repair Sucrets tin with buttons, needle and thread with no problem. I even had security open the box quickly and shut it. If they find a blade I'll shrug and say I forgot. That said I'm a very pale ginger that flies under most radar.

Top Bottom