What's new

Flying with handguns? I have questions...

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
So these are probably stupid questions but...
1) Chamber Flags. Good idea or bad? I'm torn because on one hand they are flagged to show the chamber is clear but on the other hand there is something in the chamber.
2) I plan on taking my STI and a glock for a back up for training. If I place the STI in its factory soft case and the glock in its factory hard case andplace BOTH in a Pelican with locks am I good to go in inviting trouble?
3) Should I snap a picture of the declaration when I place it in the case and before I close it up?

As for ammo... I'm just gonna leave the ammo at home and buy when I get there. Seems easier!

Check with your airline, read what the TSA says. Shortt version is, “can’t get a finger inside the case“. Putting a lock on every spot available is a best Practice. probably don‘t need the Glock case inside the pelican, unless you think I t’s more stable that way. Ammo has to be in original packaging boxes, so no loose/bulk handloads. The quantity descriptor is highly subjective.

verify mag sizes comply with local laws, etc. to include connection flight spots if you get an unexpected overnight.. And if you’re going to a restrictive state, state registration requirements (NJ/NY for sample) or if the pistols are even legal in those states (CA, I’m looking at you.)

nikonNUT

Check with your airline, read what the TSA says. Shortt version is, “can’t get a finger inside the case“. Putting a lock on every spot available is a best Practice. probably don‘t need the Glock case inside the pelican, unless you think I t’s more stable that way. Ammo has to be in original packaging boxes, so no loose/bulk handloads. The quantity descriptor is highly subjective.

verify mag sizes comply with local laws, etc. to include connection flight spots if you get an unexpected overnight.. And if you’re going to a restrictive state, state registration requirements (NJ/NY for sample) or if the pistols are even legal in those states (CA, I’m looking at you.)
Honesly, it's just so I don't have to fiddle with the foam so much :lol1: My main concern, and I can't find any information to the contrary, is having two pistols in one case. I don't see why it would be a big deal but I don't want an unscheduled prostate exam in a TSA back room. Asked the the TSA via e-mail and waiting on a call back from Southwest...

EDIT: Seems pretty cut and dry...
"Firearms may be checked and will count toward the two-piece free baggage allowance for each fare-paying passenger. We allow multiple firearms to be transported inside one hard-sided case."

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
You may want to see if you can ship ammo directly to your shooting event unless you can be absolutely assured that ammo of sufficient quantity will be available when you get there, perhaps pay for it in advance. No need for chamber flags that I'm aware of.

nikonNUT

Good point! I really don't want to overnight 1000 rounds of 9mm plus the ORM-D charge so I'l call and reserve a case!
EDIT: And done!

nikonNUT

So I was over thinking. They didn’t even ask me to open the case. Just taped the declaration to it and said “Have a safe flight!”

Top Bottom