What's new

Flying steel

Well, it had to happen someday. I am quite careful with my handling of my straight razor. I usually aim for
a blade with some nice jimps and do my best to keep the scales dry after washing or wiping lather off
after a couple of passes. However, when switching hands today, I dropped my Tanifuji Max-fli 3000. It
slipped out of my hands at about face level and I jumped back in order to spare my body instead of the
blade. (For a split second, I may have even considered trying to catch it!) As it passed through the air in
slow motion, I winced as it hit the sink and took a bounce. It appeared to have only make contact with
the spine and the scales. I took a quick look, could see no obvious damage to the edge and continued shaving.
It felt the same. Afterwards, I inspected the edge more carefully with a 20X loupe and saw no damage
to the edge. I dodged a ..."bullet" Feeling lucky!

Whatever you do dont try to catch it, there will be blood just don't ask how I know.

But I can say you was lucky to keep the razor intact....

I've always been worried about something like that. It is a very scary event, and with wet hands with slippery soap, it is even scarier.
Glad you made it without injury!

I broke my first straight razor this way, it was a sad day for me. Thankfully I also did not try to catch it but it lost a big chip about halfway down the blade, to far in to even make it a shorty.

Well, it had to happen someday. I am quite careful with my handling of my straight razor. I usually aim for
a blade with some nice jimps and do my best to keep the scales dry after washing or wiping lather off
after a couple of passes. However, when switching hands today, I dropped my Tanifuji Max-fli 3000. It
slipped out of my hands at about face level and I jumped back in order to spare my body instead of the
blade. (For a split second, I may have even considered trying to catch it!) As it passed through the air in
slow motion, I winced as it hit the sink and took a bounce. It appeared to have only make contact with
the spine and the scales. I took a quick look, could see no obvious damage to the edge and continued shaving.
It felt the same. Afterwards, I inspected the edge more carefully with a 20X loupe and saw no damage
to the edge. I dodged a ..."bullet" Feeling lucky!

I started reading and figured out right away where this was going and the I saw Tanifuji Maxfli and I started wincing. Didn't want to another amazing japanese razor broken and no longer useable.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I’ve only dropped one razor, on a hardwood floor. But it cracked and bent the nose. Fortunately it was a Gold Dollar!

You shouldn’t be shaving with a straight razor with wet and/or soapy fingers. You can keep your fingers - and the pivot - dry if you practice it and keep a small barber towel within reach. Dry fingers and tang are safer for you and the razor.

Top Bottom