What's new

Flying - Disposable Razor Suggestions

So, how does a two blade cart shave compared to a three blade cart? So a Trac II or Sensor2 versus the Mach 3. Is that too many variables with the Sensor and Trac both shaving differently?

So, how does a two blade cart shave compared to a three blade cart? So a Trac II or Sensor2 versus the Mach 3. Is that too many variables with the Sensor and Trac both shaving differently?

If we're going that far then there's also the Atra. The Atra is the counterpart to the Trac II. It is two bladed as well, but the head pivots. Personally, I only recommended the Trac II because it has a non-pivoting head. And therefore it shaves similarly to a DE, in the fact that you have to adjust the angle as you shave. Once you give up that piece of control to the razor head, you've lost control of your shave.

I've used the Atra and it is OK, but I do not really like the pivoting head at all.

I've also used the Sensor 2 blade, Sensor 3 blade, and Mach 3 and can't stand any of them. They all tear me up and give me horrible irritation. And this is post DE so even shaving with good products and good techniques, I still get irritation.

Don't be a snob!

Gillette's carts and razors work great, for travel as well as home!

travel set aos truefitt hill opus unscented august 9 2014s.jpg

I liked the flex-ball Gillette before switching to DE shaving, but that’s pretty much as expensive as carts get... I was not a fan of dollar shave’s razors but was planning to try Harry’s.

I have to travel by bus every week to another city. This is new to me. First I wanted to carry a DE but then again I do not want to loose my safety razor.
So I carry arko stick, cheap balea boar brush and disposable razor.
Works great.
I highly recommend twin blade disposables, if you need to have a fast shave you can get a more than a decent one pass shave, and if you have time to do 2 pass shave 2 blades won't do much damage to your skin.

I like ST2, Gillette GoodNews disposable and 2 blade dorco disposables.

J

Just pick up a cheap $5 Gillette Tech, all the joy of DE, and if you lose it, no biggie.

Actually I have cheap Rimei, but haven't used in a year or two.
Good thing about disposables is that last pack I bought minutes before departure for like 2€ for 10 razors.
OP is flying so it's better for him to take dispoables or cartridges

32 responses in and it seems to keep coming down to one of two things:
Gillette Guard
Or
Twin blade disposable/cart

I personally am still for the Gillette Guard. It may not give the easy BBS of a twin blade but it also doesn't give the easy PFB of a twin blade. If you want something that is available most places go for the twins but you can order the Gillette guard from a number of places online in bulk for cheap. You can get a pack of 96 guard carts for around $25. Most guys who use the guard as intended, 1-2 pass wtg and maybe xtg passes, report upwards of 100 uses from a single cart.

I liked the two blade cart for the Gillette Sensor but they can be hard to find in some locations. A standard disposable like the Good News works in a pinch as well.

I liked the two blade cart for the Gillette Sensor but they can be hard to find in some locations. A standard disposable like the Good News works in a pinch as well.
good thing about goodnews is that they don't have lubricating strip

My father worked for Gillette and when he passed I inherited many, many razors, not all Gillette but various types and brands. Over the years I have purchased many more different razors. I use them all, rotating them as the spirit strikes me. I truly enjoy the variation. I must say that the cheapie Gillette Guard provides a wonderful shave comparable with many of my high end razors, vintage and new. It's difficult to admit that such a cheapie razor performs so well, but the reality is: that it in fact does, at least for me. I can do a quickie shave with little prep and achieve a DFS shave or do a proper prep and literally have a BBS shave.
Every time I use the razor, I am amazed at how well this low end cheapie razor performs. The other advantage is that the carts seem to last for a ton of shaves. I literally lose count, but it's somewhere around 20 to 25 shaves per cart and it would be easy to stretch that number by many additional shaves depending on your comfort level. Just for fun, I actually used one for somewhere around 50 shaves and it was still going strong. Not as smooth as the first dozen or so, but still acceptable. The Gillette Guard is literally amazing.

@DonMac -- I've been vacillating about trying the Guard and you tipped the scale in favor of doing so. I'm adding a package as an Add-On to my next Amazon order.

@DonMac -- I've been vacillating about trying the Guard and you tipped the scale in favor of doing so. I'm adding a package as an Add-On to my next Amazon order.

I was also vacillating. I'm now convinced. However, I still have tons of cartridges for my Mach III left from my cartridge shaving days. And since I only use them when I travel by air, they will probably last me the rest of my life. Fortunately I've turned my 14 year old son onto DE shaving so I assume they won't be used by him unless he is traveling by air as well. Even so, I'll probably include one or two Guards as an add-on in my Amazon order just to try it out and compare it to the Mach III.

At one time in 2013, while testing the Guard for its longevity, I have taken one cartridge up to 130 shaves.
Between 1 to 30 shaves I got a DFS.
Between 30 to about 60 got CCS.
60 onwards SAS.
At the last 130th shave, the cart was still going strong & had life still in it. Tossed it due to sheer boredom.

Today, if I use a Guard, I'll toss it after 55 to 60 shaves. I want at least a CCS.

Top Bottom