What's new

Flying a plane apparently is not that hard

When I was in my early teen my dad had a small 4-passenger low wing plane. A Piper Cherokee. Anyway, he would always let me fly it but it was only following the direction he wanted to go. He never would let me land or take off. Guessing that is where it is tricky. The guy who landed that plane had great instructions and kept a cool head!

Maybe flying a plane with no turbulence or other issues could be like driving a car...sort of. But then there are two other points that come to mind, take off and landing. I would have to guess that the passenger also had a great deal of common sense, and was willing to listen to the voice of experience and follow instructions to the T.

I heard back from two life long friends who have each flown for major airlines for decades. Independently they are not convinced it is legit. Mainly it is the tone of voice of the passenger. Way too relaxed. One pilot noted in his years that others in his cockpit are not that calm under stress and they are professionals with thousands of hours flying. How could a passenger possibly be that calm?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I heard back from two life long friends who have each flown for major airlines for decades. Independently they are not convinced it is legit. Mainly it is the tone of voice of the passenger. Way too relaxed. One pilot noted in his years that others in his cockpit are not that calm under stress and they are professionals with thousands of hours flying. How could a passenger possibly be that calm?
CNN said about the passenger Darren Harrison:

MUNTEAN (on camera): The original pilot in this instance was taken to a local hospital. The new pilot, Darren Harrison, told air traffic controllers he did have some familiarity with flying but only through observation, no formal training or flying experience.

Isn't that amazing - the power of observation and just paying attention in life!
Whenever I train a new person at work, I think - there are very few jobs someone can't just show you (except maybe something like open heart surgery).
Boot Camp Drill Sergeants used to say (in between calling us every nasty name in the book)...
"First I TELL you. Then I SHOW you. Then YOU do it."
Makes me think about folks who have done hours of Flight Sim "games" on their computer....some of them have throttles and pedals and everything.

Flying in the 60s, 70s, and 80s was really pleasant. Terminals and planes weren't jam-packed, quick checkins, people got dressed up, no drunks. My last plane trip was about 20 years ago. The flight to CA was pleasant. The flight backto NJ was packed with a-holes. Never again and to insure I never have to get on another plane, I don't have Real ID or a Passport.

My favorite airplane movie scene is Charles Grodin in Midnight Run. "These things go down."

I’ve been an Air Traffic Controller for the last 14 years and can say with 100% certainty that I could not have done what this controller did.

They are incredibly lucky that he was at work that day. Most controllers have zero interest in flying, in
my facility there are only 2 with some flight experience and a license.

The fact they they had a flight instructor on the other side of the radio is just astounding to me.

Bravo!

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
The passenger that landed the plane may be an LEO or have military experience. Or perhaps have some other job or life experience that has taught him to behave in this manner when under pressure.

Considering that I regularly crash land when playing Microsoft Flight Simulator, I doubt I would fare well in a real landing attempt. I might do a little better in a commercial plane as some of them are so computerized that they can literally land themselves, even in zero visibility conditions. However, trying to figure out all the control switches and knobs would be a nightmare. The first thing of importance would be operating the radio so you would not lose contact with ground control which is you lifeline.

The first thing of importance would be operating the radio so you would not lose contact with ground control which is you lifeline.

Yes, and the next thing is to be sure you are descending. If I recall that is about the first thing the flight instructor said to the new pilot. That guards against a stall which would be game over.

More info has come out and it really does seem legit, truly a miracle. A miracle that a guy with the right temperament was both in the plane and in the tower. Critically and amazingly, the guy in the tower was a flight instructor. I wanted to see that new pilot exit the plane, fall to his knees and kiss the ground!

Top Bottom