What's new

Fly Tying

Funny how color can become an influence on performance with trout flies. The Purple Haze also is well-known as a great performer. Other purple-colored flies are also effective sometimes. Yellow, orange, pink, and red are also effective at times. Yellow and orange are favored in Western North Carolina. Pink is effective in some streams in Virginia. I tip a lot of my flies with hot spots in fluorescent colors. Works.

I need to revisit fly tying.

on of my fave patterns that I use on a farm pond.

img4c44f0040ecc9.jpg

camo

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
This is a question for you fly fishermen: I have never done it. Closest I have been to it is maybe a cane pole and a "popper" that I caught some pan fish with.

Question: do you know anyone that just ties flies for fun/relaxation/hobby?

Sitting around arguing with the War Department gets old in the winter, lol!

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
I have known a few guys who had to stop fishing for age-related mobility issues who continued to tie flies. I do think there is a relaxing aspect to it that is therapeutic. I tie flies all winter, and although I am thinking about fishing them in the spring, I often think it is a separate hobby. I have tied enough flies to see me through several years of regular fishing, but I do like trying to make another one better or more perfect each time I sit down at the vise.

FarmerTan

I have known a few guys who had to stop fishing for age-related mobility issues who continued to tie flies. I do think there is a relaxing aspect to it that is therapeutic. I tie flies all winter, and although I am thinking about fishing them in the spring, I often think it is a separate hobby. I have tied enough flies to see me through several years of regular fishing, but I do like trying to make another one better or more perfect each time I sit down at the vise.
Thanks!

I obviously need to buy a book! Wonderful work.
Thanks! The pictures hide tons of flaws haha. YouTube videos are very helpful but I still lioe book references for some stuff. Skip Morris has some good books for beginners as well as some devoted to specific types of flies (dries, nymphing, foam flies). Lots of great references can be had for cheap. Been getting alot of mine used from thriftbooks for cheap :thumbup:

FarmerTan

Thanks! The pictures hide tons of flaws haha. YouTube videos are very helpful but I still lioe book references for some stuff. Skip Morris has some good books for beginners as well as some devoted to specific types of flies (dries, nymphing, foam flies). Lots of great references can be had for cheap. Been getting alot of mine used from thriftbooks for cheap :thumbup:
Cheap because these young whipper snappers just Google everything! Get off my lawn! Go fish or something!

Nice work and nice photography! Buggers catch fish anywhere, anytime!
Thanks! Definitely will. Had good luck drifting small streamers last trip so I figured I should stock up haha. The photo difference was from a new toy I got in the mail the other day. A ring light that is designed to light up the fly but not the background. Pretty neat! Made a huge difference. Almost makes me look like I really know how to tie :lol:

received_526356214761880.jpeg

Top Bottom