What's new

Fly Fishing

Do you fly fish?

I've just started researching what gear I need to purchase as a beginner. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

There is a whole lot that could be suggested, but what kind of fish will you be pursuing and in what kind of environment? Generally speaking a 6wt rod is a good middle ground rod that can catch most everything that swims in cold or warm water, but if you have something specific in mind then a different weight rod might be called for. No need to go expensive either there are plenty of good entry level rods that won't cost you an arm and a leg. Depending on your budget.... $-$$-$$$ Some faves are, for rods, cabela's , redington, and TFO. reels , I fish warmwater so a reel is not as important as with trout and saltwater, but I like large arbor reels and there are plenty of good inexpensive ones around. Line will run you from $35 to $50 bucks pretty much whatever you get. buy weight forward in what ever weight your rod is first, helps with learning to cast. The rest is personal and I suggest KISS if you follow me. Mainly have fun with it don't get all serious and forget to enjoy what your doing.

I bought a rod/reel package deal at Cabelas for about $100. I thought it would be complete junk, but I needed a 3 weight. I actually really like it, especially for the price. Might be the way to go if you are just testing the waters. Prob need a heavier rod for an all purpose, though.

Thanks for the input.

I will be fishing primarily for trout in freshwater streams and rivers. I would like to fish for steelhead in the fall but I'm sure that may require a heavier rod, maybe not.

Thanks for the input.

I will be fishing primarily for trout in freshwater streams and rivers. I would like to fish for steelhead in the fall but I'm sure that may require a heavier rod, maybe not.

Hey Birddog,
Where are you located? I've got a nice Orvis 8 wt setup that would work well for you. I'm about an hour SW of Portland.

Enjoy the ride,
Jay

The usual recommendation is a 5wt or 6wt for trout; 5wt will be a little more sensitive, 6wt a little more powerful for longer reach. When I lived in Ohio, I usually fished with a 5wt; now that I fish more out west, I've moved to a 6wt. I had a Redington Wayfarer 5-piece 6wt that I loved until the top section broke. Redington made good on the warranty and replaced it with their top-end 4-piece (they didn't make a five at that point); I was definitely happy with them.

I live in Oregon, and ideally I'd like to have a variety of weights. Since our local streams are varied in size, with one river that is 100 feet + wide in places, a 6 wt may be the best option for me as a beginner.

I just started very recently. With the exception of little cheap-o kiddie reels that don't cast more than three feet when I was a kid, I've never fished before. I have my sights set on catching a snook, so I went to the local Bass Pro and talked to the people there, who did an excellent job of hooking me up with a 9" 8 weight saltwater setup that came in just a hair over $100, backing, line, and leader already loaded up. So far I've only caught a channel catfish and a small jack, but it's been fun and has gotten me investing in a spin setup.

Top Bottom