What's new

Fly Fishermen check in!

Been throwing a fly rod for 40+ years now. If it is in the water I chuck flies at it.
Been making and building my own bamboo rods for the last ten years or so; ever since my lab puppy ate my beloved Hendrix.

proxy.php

The first bamboo rod I built

and the attached images are of the first cane rod I made (building a rod means one took a rod blank and added the hardware, making, in rod building nomenclature means one created the rod blank as well).

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 195
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Allen G I do like your taste in wraps, Garrison's white silk that goes clear with varnish tipped with red. I used the same scheme on the first bespoke rod I got. It's a one-piece 6 ft. 4 wt. on a blank built be a local maker, R. L. King. R. L. made the blank and mounted the grip and reel seat. I finished up with the wraps. It's a joy to use on little brook trout streams.

Allen G I do like your taste in wraps, Garrison's white silk that goes clear with varnish tipped with red. I used the same scheme on the first bespoke rod I got. It's a one-piece 6 ft. 4 wt. on a blank built be a local maker, R. L. King. R. L. made the blank and mounted the grip and reel seat. I finished up with the wraps. It's a joy to use on little brook trout streams.
Thanks.
My current project is a three piece 6ft, 3-4 wt that I'm going to pair with a simple no drag reel. Something that can be packed very small for camping.

While I learned to tie flies about 20 years ago, I've only been fly fishing about 3 years now. I grew up on the Saginaw Bay in Michigan, so perch and walleye trolling was the fishing of my youth. Now that I live in Maryland, fly fishing is all I have near me... So I'm learning.

I am in Tennessee also I have fished in the Ocoeee river, the Hiwassee river, Clinch river, Holston Rive,r and the Watauga River long with many tributary in the Smokys . I too tie my own fly's, and have a few split cane rods , and old reels I have acquired over the years . I retired in 2009 from the US Army and have been enjoying life and Fishing ,hunting, and making knives of all types .

R. Yates
13 & On Forge

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I am in Tennessee also I have fished in the Ocoeee river, the Hiwassee river, Clinch river, Holston Rive,r and the Watauga River long with many tributary in the Smokys . I too tie my own fly's, and have a few split cane rods , and old reels I have acquired over the years . I retired in 2009 from the US Army and have been enjoying life and Fishing ,hunting, and making knives of all types .

R. Yates
13 & On Forge

Welcome fellow Tennessean!

Check in here to receive your Veteran tag http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/375976-Veteran-roll-call?highlight=veteran+roll+call

Thank you for your service!

Used to throw flys around a bit when I was younger,life got busy and I lost it. Recently found my old vest and reel. Gonna have to give it another shot.
never caught a fish buy the way.

We get 'em all right up on shore. I think rarely over 30 FOW. If you haven't done it before, its also all sight fishing to actively feeding fish.

Hope its OK to recommend my buddy Gary Bulla and his trips. They are the best value in fly fishing that I have found and if you have any interest in big game saltwater fly fishing its a great place to start.

http://garybulla.com/

Another video I put together several years back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROGGBwuevwI

Last edited:
I fish a bit around Taupo (the mighty Tongariro and the T-T), the Hawke's Bay, and the great Hutt River, which flows through Wellington: superb brown trout fishing for miles and miles right in a capital city, only minutes from work.

Unfortunately i have two little boys, so on-river days are few and far between. There will come a day . . .

R. Yates
13 & On Forge

Hello from another 'up in them thar hills' Tennessean.

Hello from Saguenay! Salmon fly fisherman noob. I mostly fish with baitcasters and scanning gear for walleye and pike. My kids will grow up and I will have time again for fishing.

Top Bottom