What's new

Fly Fishermen check in!

Checking in from Central PA; Spring Creek (home waters of Joe Humphreys) and Penn's Creek. Brown and Rainbows. Brothers meet at different streams every few years.. been to the Frying Pan in CO, Kelley Creek in ID and lately Rangeley Lake area in ME....

Been working on my Czech Nymphing over the past year, although I seem to fall back on the straight line nymphing techniques I was taught (and failed to master) so many years ago.

My username might lead one to assume...
Fly fishing is my favorite thing. I tie a lot too.View attachment 391864

I dunno...that seems a little too tidy to be a real tying station....lol

I spy, a JVise, a LAW, and a Nor-Vise. I find Nor-Vises a bit strange for my taste, love LAWs (but will likely never own one unless he starts production again), and will be ordering my JVise this spring.....which do you like best?

I dunno...that seems a little too tidy to be a real tying station....lol

I spy, a JVise, a LAW, and a Nor-Vise. I find Nor-Vises a bit strange for my taste, love LAWs (but will likely never own one unless he starts production again), and will be ordering my JVise this spring.....which do you like best?

You know vises!

I like them all, but since one cannot buy a new Law...
I've only had the Nor for a month and it is a blast to tie on. I highly recommend the Nor-Vise. It will likely end up as my favorite.

The J-Vise is wonderful, you'll love it. I picked mine up used on the cheap; it came with the damasteel jaws and a c-clamp. I had Jay make the base for me.

I also have a Dyna-King Ron Abbey model that is no longer being produced and an HMH Spartan.

All of these vises get used. I use to give tying lessons (beginning-intermediate level) several times a year. I almost always take a vise or two with me on fishing/camping trips so that I and anyone else can twist up a few flies.

Last edited:
You know vises!

The J-Vise is wonderful, you'll love it. I picked mine up used on the cheap; it came with the damasteel jaws and a c-clamp. I had Jay make the base for me.

Cheap? And with the damasteel jaws? I may cry myself to sleep tonight...you lucky bastard!

It's been about 3 years since I have been on the rivers, dog trialing takes up most of my time in the spring and fall. I am also a huge tying fanatic. Here is my set up in my man-cave, under my one of my pipe tobacco cabinets:

Capt, that is one sweet man-cave!

Toirtis, by cheap I mean for less than what the damasteel upgrade costs. I wasn't in the market for another vise, but couldn't pass on the deal. I paid more for the Spartan. Sweet dreams.

I've been a fly fisherman for close to 35 years, mostly trout but also bass, panfish, and saltwater. Not sure what next season will bring. A personal matter this year has put fishing way down on my list of priorities. I barely think about it any more, which feels very strange.

Gadabout, we knew you fished by your username and avatar. We also knew you are of a certain age for the same reasons. I hope you're back on the water next year. I've missed several years due to personal reasons. I almost liquidated my gear. I am so grateful to be able to fish again.

Last edited:
Thanks Old Trout! I did my fair share of rod building too, but too many hobbies, and not enough time. I still have a few RL Wintson blanks I started, but I never did finish.....

I've been a fly fisherman for close to 35 years, mostly trout but also bass, panfish, and saltwater. Not sure what next season will bring. A personal matter this year has put fishing way down on my list of priorities. I barely think about it any more, which feels very strange.

I hope you get the personal matters in order and get back out on the water next year!

When I was in school out east, I worked in a fly shop and fished a lot of the steams in New England. For the last 16 years I've been saltwater fly fishing along the Gulf Coast for redfish, speckled trout, tarpon, snook, jack crevalle (or jackfish down here), and anything else tempted by my flies.

I still have my lighter rods, but they don't see much use these days....

Checking in from Beautiful British Columbia. Living in the Vancouver area now, but spent the better part of my life in the extra beautiful South Okanagan. Been fly fishing (mainly for trout) in the lakes and rivers of central BC since around 1984 or thereabouts. I have hit some of the rivers in Vancouver area over the last few years. Nothing like fighting a 15lb wild salmon on a fly!
The eyes are not as good as they used to be, so I am trying to get my 16 year old interested in tying flies...
Have not gone out as much as I would like to over the last 3 or 4 years. Too much work, not enough play these days! New Years Resolution is to get out on the water more often in 2014 with my son!
Cheers!

My dad and myself took it up about 10 years ago. We mainly fish the Ozarks but I've played in N.W. Tennessee and a little out in Wyoming. We like to hunt for big browns and fortunately for me my misses likes it more than I do!

We don't get to make it onto the water near as often as any of us would like but we always have a good time. Courtney nailed this brownie who came in at 9.5# two years ago in February.

I caught a rainbow similar the first weekend we played with a fly rod on a barb-less hook (catch & release area) and it was a major rush for me.

^^ Very nice! Browns are so awesome.

Rob do you guys use, or ever try, big articulated fly's for those Browns, like Kelly Galloup stuff?

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ Very nice! Browns are so awesome.

Rob do you guys use, or ever try, big articulated fly's for those Browns, like Kelly Galloup stuff?

I have tried fly's similar, but with little to no success. It could be in my presentation of them though sometimes it is just hard to tell.

If memory serves correct that guy was caught on a Sculpin replica similar to this, main difference being darker colors.

My dad and myself took it up about 10 years ago. We mainly fish the Ozarks but I've played in N.W. Tennessee and a little out in Wyoming. We like to hunt for big browns and fortunately for me my misses likes it more than I do!

We don't get to make it onto the water near as often as any of us would like but we always have a good time. Courtney nailed this brownie who came in at 9.5# two years ago in February.

I caught a rainbow similar the first weekend we played with a fly rod on a barb-less hook (catch & release area) and it was a major rush for me.
Sweet brown. I'll swear that looks like a stretch of the Holston.

Top Bottom