What's new

Fly fisherman, come on in!

Gents,

I've secured myself a spot on a fly fishing trip in New Mexico in the Fall. I've fished plenty of different ways, but never cast a fly. I know that I'll require an 8' rod because the situation calls for it, but can you help me identify a great deal on some gear?

I was disappointed to see that ye olde auction site is dominated by retailers and the like. Scarcely any individuals just thinning their collection. I'd like to find a higher-end outfit that has been well-loved but needs a good home. If you can offer any suggestions about brands/combos to avoid, or particularly good setups to pursue, I would be grateful.

FYI - I have read through a variety of articles and buyers guides to get me started, so I know about enough karate to get beat up.

Thanks!

~B

First, what is your budget?
Fly gear can cost from <$100 for a full set to the price of new car. And honestly, even a WalMart fly rod will make a beautiful cast and land a champion fish.
ngto.org is the fly fishing board here in the Deep South. Your best bet for honest used gear is to look in their (or a like local trout board's) BST section and pick up your gear from that.

And 8 foot is a good all around rod length. Start with an 5 or 6 weight. Practice casting in the backyard before you get on the river. I learned the old school way with a book under my arm. Don't worry with any of the different kinds of casts until you get the basic overhand down. It's the one you will use 90% of the time anyway.

Bang for the buck new gear, I like Allen reels. I can't give any advice on modern rods; I've been throwing bamboo since I started.
Caylor custom flies has the best price on hand tied flies anywhere.
LL Bean makes pretty good waiters with 100% guarantee.
If I'm not carrying a creel I like those chest pack organizers. If I'm carrying a creel I use it as tackle box.

You need to know what kind of fish, water, etc. you will be fishing.

You have to determine line weight, rod weight and you need to learn how to cast. I've taught people to fly fish in park areas with no trees nearby and I've attached a colourful strand of yarn...safer when learning...that way.

I would recommend you go to a specialty outdoor store...like Cabela, etc...talk to staff who fly fish.

I use both dry flies and wet flies...but I prefer wet flies. I fly fish for trout....but mostly for Northern Pike...their strike can be as my kid's would say...awesome.

Thanks for the tips, fellas! I will definitely check out ngto.org. I probably wouldn't have run into that on my own.

Details. Private trout stream a couple hours from Taos. I know that the streams are fairly narrow and have good growth near the banks. I asked about line weight, and I am still awaiting answer as to 3/4 or 5/6#. For now, either will work the purpose of developing technique and getting comfortable with the equipment.

Budget? If I had $500-700 to spend on gear, I would like to think that would get me pretty far. Yay or nay?

Regards,
~B

Ha - the joke around our fish camp when a new guy wants to get into fly fishing is "How much do you want to spend?" If you have $300, it will cost you $300. If you have $1000, it will cost you $1000!

Sounds like you have a good budget for gear. IM(very humble)O, you can't go wrong with Orvis gear. The Clearwater rod/reel combo is very highly rated and not too expensive. I'm currently using an Access set up that I enjoy very much. Look at TFO and St. Croix. Reddington too. (Sierra Trading post has some good deals at times)

I would stick with a 5wt. rod, for the simple fact that you can do a lot of different fishing with it. Small creeks, rivers, smallmouth, largemouth, pan fish, trout. 8ft is fairly standard.

Cabela's makes a nice vest, and you can probably find some decent fly boxes there as well.

Not sure if you will be wading? I can't comment on too many brands of waders, having just ventured in to the breathable stuff in the last few years. I had a pair of Cabela's picked up for around $100 that lasted about three years (my rubber red balls were retired due to weight, not worn out after 10 years of regular use...)

Don't skimp on fly line, leaders or tippet material.

Keep the questions coming!

Take a casting class before you buy anything.
Worst thing you can do is drop a wad of cash and try to teach yourself....a bad habbit is sooooooooo hard to correct.

Try casting some different rods. I've been casting for years and can't get good loops with a slow rod to save my life.

Excellent. Glad I reached out to this group. It never disappoints.

This sounds a lot like golf. Doesn't matter if you've got the best clubs on the market if your swing sucks (which mine does). And to your point, Rockit... different rods may be a better fit for my frame and level of athleticism, for example.

Great news, though! My local fly shop offers free lessons EVERY saturday morning. The proprietor of said shop told me to come as often as I'd like, and they will work at my speed to get me going. I am quite certain this is a tactic they use to get people to buy gear there. And it makes sense because the alternative is to patronize the other shop that charges for lessons.

I happen to love mom & pop shops so I will be sure to take advantage of their free lessons, and purchase some goodies from them, too.

Thanks,
~B

.. different rods may be a better fit for my frame and level of athleticism, for example.
There is just a "feel" each rod has. Like a razor...what works for one guy may barely work for another. I'm lucky that my dad is a fly fishing FANATIC. He has 120+ rods at any given time (always trading/breaking/buying new etc) and I could use any of them. For me, a rod with some spine and a fast action makes all the difference in the world.

Matching the line to the rod is importamt also. The flyshop will be a big help.

I suggest you take advantage of the free lessons and practice afterwards. You are lucky to have a local shop. I had a fabulous fly shop near my home when I lived in Baltimore. Unfortunately, a big BASSPRO came to town and his business failed in about a year. I would also suggest you go for the 5 wt rod which is a pretty versatile rod. The 3 WT could be your second rod once you get into it ;-)

Congratulations fly fishing is a massive rabbit hole to fall into. I have fly fished my whole life though I am but 27. I have also worked in fly fishing shops for about 12 years, but do not any more. There are a number of really good value lines out there. a standout to consider for rods is the Echo line. These rods are designed by tom rajeff, who is one of the best casters around. I have a few of these rods and have been amazed by their performance for their cost. They also have really great customer service. I have cast many rods from every big brand out there, and while these rods do not cast like a $1000 rod, they are very, very nice. Also I like the niche rod categories that are offered.

Also I would recommend investing in a nice line. In my opinion a properly matched line is the most important aspect of a set up.

Good luck.

I taught myself the basics using a book titled The Curtis Creek Manifesto (ISBN: 0-936608-06-4). It's a great, easy-to-read, and fun reference that covers just about everything you need to get started. I kept a dog-eared copy in the back pocket of my fishing vest for a couple of years, and still refer to it occasionally. When my son wanted to try fly fishing, he received his own copy from his proud father.
One word of advice - practice casting with a pc of yarn or something easily removable from body parts and orifices until you get the hang of it. (It took us a while to get the fly out of my son's nose...)

Thanks for all the advice and insight, fellas.

It has come to my attention that a 3wt is preferred for the fishing we'll be doing. The other comment from the guide related to using a 7-8' rod. So... nothing over 8' for sure.

I don't mind investing in good gear within those specifications unless you folks think it's plain silly. It matches well enough with the bit of fishing I tend to do for smallish bass in ponds and lakes during the summer anyways.

Off to do some research!

~B

Fly fishing is, as my friend Tim says, "The most fun you can have with your clothes on." It has the largest library of literature of any of the field sports and folks have been fly fishing since at least 300 AD. All levels and aspects of the sport, beginer to expert, wrap their challenges in enjoyment. Plunge right in, the water's fine. The guide's reccomendation for the trip should be followed but you may find the 3wt a little light for bass and panfish. A line that light will make using the larger, less aerodynamic flies often associated with bass and panfish difficult. You might want to find out if the guide will have loaner gear for you to use on the trip. If so, you should seriously consider looking to purchase an outfit based on a 5 or 6 wt line that will be more in line with the fishing you'll be doing on your home waters.

Last edited:
Excellent. Glad I reached out to this group. It never disappoints.

This sounds a lot like golf. Doesn't matter if you've got the best clubs on the market if your swing sucks (which mine does). And to your point, Rockit... different rods may be a better fit for my frame and level of athleticism, for example.

Great news, though! My local fly shop offers free lessons EVERY saturday morning. The proprietor of said shop told me to come as often as I'd like, and they will work at my speed to get me going. I am quite certain this is a tactic they use to get people to buy gear there. And it makes sense because the alternative is to patronize the other shop that charges for lessons.

I happen to love mom & pop shops so I will be sure to take advantage of their free lessons, and purchase some goodies from them, too.

Thanks,
~B

Take the free lessons! Nothing will shorten the how- to- cast learning curve faster than lessons and practice.

Standing in a river while waving a stick is, and has been for over forty years, my *favorite thing to do.

*second favorite, actually.

I recommend you stay in the 5-6 weight range regardless of what the guide told you. An Orvis Clearwater outfit is as high end as you need to go at this point. Of course you will need waders, a vest, flies, net, etc. so don't blow your whole budget on a rod and reel. I have been fly fishing for 34 years and I am self taught. Teaching yourself is very possible if you have the passion and drive to do it. On the other hand, if you just think of it as a cool thing that you'd like to try, you'll probably fail. If you can get lessons, get lessons. Make sure you get as much time in as you can before you do this guided trip thing. Go to the library and spend some time with some FF books. Don't skip the chapter on etiquette. It's a great sport and will provide a lifetime of pleasure. Welcome and good luck.

I'll throw an economical opinion out for you as well. I have some high end gear and some low end and rods that I've built, too. I got a cabelas 3 forks setup a couple of years ago and was actually impressed with the quality of the setup for what it cost. I got a 3 weight rod, reel, backing and line for $65. It casts amazingly well, and I would recommend it especially for those just starting out. I still use it over some of my higher end gear when it fits the situation. I know some guys who got the 8' 5 weight and are equally impressed with it.

For what you have budgeted, IMO, you can get a 3 weight rig and a 5/6 if you wanted to. Todays technology has improved to where most of the entry level setups are fairly decent. You don't have to break the bank to get started and see how you like it.

I love Cabelas Traditions II. I use that in a 5W for Bass and trout. I don't do a lot of freshwater I have 8 and 10wts for salt. Either way I think Cabelas makes some decent budget rods.

Here is a little rainbow caught with it.

$IMG_2079.jpg

Last edited:
Dude, no one has given you the right answer yet......

Get you butt to Feathercraft now!! It's an amazing fly shop, and they may have free lessons. BTW, I would never buy a used high end rod unless there is a transferable warranty. I only fish Orvis rods because their warranty is amazing, but there are other great brands. Feathercraft has new and used rods.

You'll want to cast several rods. Even as a beginner, you'll be able to tell the difference.

http://www.feather-craft.com

If your looking in the 3wt region. I build my 3 wts on batson Blanks. For a fast 3 wt. they are killer. There are a lot of private builders out there who use these exclusively. I just finished a 3wt on a cabelas blank and i do like the cast. Much more moderate than Batson but still a great rod. The cast is more important that the rod. whatever you get make sure you spend time with it. Plenty of guys hit the water (literally) without enough practice time in their cast .

If your looking in the 3wt region. I build my 3 wts on batson Blanks. For a fast 3 wt. they are killer. There are a lot of private builders out there who use these exclusively.

Batson blanks are great. I have a 6'6" 2 wt. that I built from their last generation of RX8, and it is awesome. Also, all of my kids are fishing with fly rods built from their forecast line.

Top Bottom