What's new

Flush Cut Pliers

Random question for you guys. I'm trying to find some flush cut pliers for pinning my razor scales. I haven't seen anything I like in the local hardware stores. I was looking online, but with out holding them in hand I have no idea how quality they are. Anyone have a brand or style they like? What gauge wire should they be able to cut? It seems most of the flush cut pliers are marketed towards electrical applications. I mostly have been using nickel pins if that matters. I appreciate any input.

I find I'm leaving a little too much with traditional. So I have to do some file work before peening. I figured some flush cut pliers may help with that.

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Types_of_Tools/Pliers_and_Cutters/StewMac_Fret_Cutter.html

$31rRYPOQelL.jpg

That is something that I would have never thought of. Those would be perfect though. Thanks for the recommendation!

The fret cutters from StewMac are good, but pricey. You can take a cheaper hardware store nipper and file/grind the top to get a flatter cut a lot cheaper.

I personally prefer a traditional cutter. I don't know of any cutter that will leave a perfectly sheared cut with no distortions. A little bit of filing of the remaining "stump" allows for clean up , getting a good surface, and some wiggle room depending on how much dome I want on the pin. Also a traditional cutter almost has a built in depth gauge which eliminates eyeballing a flush type cutter. If you cut too low ,,, oops. If you cut a bit too high then you'll file anyhow. But I did use one once and used a second washer as a depth gauge but ultimately it was all a PITA with multiple steps which didn't save on anything.

Harbor Freight has a flush cutter that works both on brass & steel pin material. Less than $5.00 if I remember right.

Slawman

Thanks for all of the suggestions. If I can get a set cheap enough, maybe I will give them a try. Otherwise I will stick with the regular cutter and a little extra file work. I always worry about filing too much and hitting the scales. I guess I could always put a little tape on the scales to be safe though.

I use side dikes . Works just fine. Linemans plyers would work good too. Mycarver is correct, your cut of the rod will leave a sharp wedge point. It is easy to remove with a file

I am not worried about the wedge point from cutting the pin. Those file off easy enough. I was more worried about not cutting the pin short enough and needing to file the excess down to the point of being able to peen the pin nicely.

But that's MrBrians and my point exactly. With a conventional cutter it automatically acts like a depth gauge . Lay the cutter against the scale, cut and file off the wedge and you're pretty much there.
Even with a flush cutter there is no guarantee you'll be spot on where you make your cut and in all likelihood you'll have to file anyway. And really,,, a 1/16th brass rod takes very little effort to file.
I'll do up to 30 razors a month which is doing this 60 times. If I thought there was a better or easier way I'd do it.

This little sketch shows the cut, the wedge to be filed off and the remaining height that is very close to the amount you'll end up peening.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 54
A quick mock up. How much filing will this take? 4-6 strokes? It'll end up perfectly square and will mushroom nicely. Too many examples of peening with cracks and distortions around the edge of the peening.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 48
I understand what you are saying, that was just not the experience that I have had. Maybe the pliers I am using are a little higher, maybe I did not have them flush enough against the scales, maybe there was an issue with the wedge, or maybe there was some other issue. I have had to file more than just the point in order remove enough to get the pin nice and tight. As I mentioned in the first post, I have been using the Nickel - silver rods, not brass. I will keep at it, I learn more each time I do one. Thanks for all the advice.

I use Vise Grip FD4 flush cutters for unpinning - they work great. There is a little bit of a learning curve but they work well for me.

Top Bottom