What's new

Fluffy or flat lather?

When mixing creams/soaps for shaving what result of mixing do you find works best for you?

For me, I found that through experimenting with lather building using different amounts of water, my best results came from using a lather that had very little water used.
At first, I thought that having copious amounts of lather resulting from tons of mixing with a good amount of water was what should be used, but I found it to be too thin for cushioning the face. I'm talking about the kind of lather where it is frothy and bubbly...like the head of a cappuccino.

I have gradually been using less and less water to the point where my face prefers the lather to be almost like a thick batter - flat.

What have you guys found with your lather experimenting?

I like to make my lather as slick as possible, adding water and mixing until right before it gets foamy/frothy. I'll use a thicker-dryer lather if I haven't shaved in 4-5 days

I have found that less water works best but do not overdo it. If your lather dries on the face before you have the chance to remove it you have gone too far and might cut yourself. I start with drier brush and then add a few drops so lather is as slick as it can be while still thick. Practice makes perfect.

I enjoy a flat, thick lather - much like the top of my latte.

Typically I use less water than I should, but it works for me.

I face lather. Makes it easy for me to control the wet or dry of the lather plus you can get real slick by doing that. Great cushion also.

Rub the lather between your fingers. It should be slick and a little resistive to motion. It can be way too resistive and not very slick, or it can be way slick but not very resistive. You want to aim for the middle. My lathers tend to be a shade light on water.

Sounds like the posters here have a good handle on it!

Thanks for the replies guys. Glad to see I'm doing things the way the majority sees it...with less water and thicker lather.

Depends on what I'm using. If I'm going to be using the DE, I prefer it middle of the road, probably a lot more water than you are talking about. On the other hand, if I'm using a straight razor that day, I prefer a LOT more water, as I don't need cushion, I want slickness.

The person who suggested adding glycerin is probably spot on for your tastes, as the feel is the exact opposite of what I like in a lather.

One soap you might seriously consider that I think you would really enjoy is Mystic Waters. With little water it's flat as you describe it, and very yogurt-like in consistency, but it can be loosed into fluffy slick lather with a bit of water.

Top Bottom