What's new

FLU SHOTS ??

just the three worst anticipated strains yearly
Or four strains if you get the quadrivalent vaccine. The "quad" is also available as a nasal spray, but that is weakened live virus, so it can have side effects that are like a mild case of influenza. Many people can not get the nasal spray vaccine (under 2, over 50, weakened immune system, pregnant).

Mine was single dose, and didn't have aluminium or thimerosal ("mercury")...
But - assuming your original post is all correct and up to date in most cases - you're sceptical that these vaccines are designed to "lessen the effects of influenza", as you said in the OP. I'd say they are designed to prevent a person from catching the 3/4 worst projected seasonal strains of 'flu, but that might just be quibbling over definitions.
So,
- What are you sceptical about ?
- What is the end-game, what is the purpose of giving these vaccines?
I assume it's gotta be more than "follow the money". I totally understand scepticism about the power and intentions of centralised authority and government & drug company over-reach.
My worry is yearly injections of liquid mercury begin to add up , and formaldehyde is a known carcinogen .. How much can the body absorb before the toxins have effect ? ...I've only had the flu 3 times in the past 30 years..... I usually never take these shots because of the ingredients. I'm 70 , and this year is predicted to be a bad one, so I took the shot. Old guys get a double dose , and since I'm in California I had to sign a waiver stating I was aware of being injected with liquid mercury......

I'm not sure why they call it a vaccine when you have to have it every year. A vaccine is usually once.
If you decide to get the flu shot ask for the single dose. It does not contain Thimerosal.
Multi dose does.

Had flu a few times. No bueno. Began getting annual shots a couple decades ago. No flu episodes since.
Got pneumonia once. Dr. wanted to hospitalize me. I passed. Maybe not the best idea but I was younger and knew everything. Either way......
Let me tell you about................... SICK. REAL, REAL SICK. I get pneumonia shots now.

My worry is yearly injections of liquid mercury begin to add up , and formaldehyde is a known carcinogen .. How much can the body absorb before the toxins have effect ? ...I've only had the flu 3 times in the past 30 years..... I usually never take these shots because of the ingredients. I'm 70 , and this year is predicted to be a bad one, so I took the shot. Old guys get a double dose , and since I'm in California I had to sign a waiver stating I was aware of being injected with liquid mercury......
You are not being injected with liquid mercury.
Oy vey.

Of course with flu shots, people often forget that it isn't just a case of protecting yourself from the virus, but also protecting the people around you from it too. Healthcare workers all get the flu shot not primarily because they are all weaklings and pansies with little girly immune systems that can't handle a little bit of illness, but because they are in contact with many patients, some who are immunocompromised e.g. premature babies, the elderly with multiple complications, cancer patients taking chemo, transplant patients taking medication that dampens down their immune system etc. It is professionally and morally irresponsible to not take the flu shot and put such patients at risk. So if not for your sake, at least for the sake of others, get the flu shot and don't jump on the anti-vax train of ignorance

Oh good, a vaccine thread. When we reach common ground here lets talk about abortion, global warming, religion and Donald Trump.

proxy.php

My two cents here.
-It's your body and your health.
-If you don't want the vaccine, don't get it. Your reasons are your own.
-If want the vaccine, get it. Once again your reasons are your own.

The way I see it is that if you don't die from the flu, something else will! Here's to hoping it's old age that gets you and not the city bus you neglected to see coming!

I count myself lucky that I've never had the flu. Has getting or not getting the flu shot contributed to this at all? Who knows. I'm not sick and that's all that matters to me.

My two cents here.
-It's your body and your health.
-If you don't want the vaccine, don't get it. Your reason are your own.
-If want the vaccine, get it. Once again your reason are your own.

I count myself lucky that I've never had the flu. Has getting or not getting the flu shot contributed to this at all? Who knows. I'm not sick and that's all that matters to me.
Good answer!

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

I wouldn't trust that website as far as I could throw it. That entire organization is based on false information and strong anti-vaccination propaganda.

Thiomersal, the compound that contains mercury, is just a preservative. It's chemical composition is C9H9HgNaO2S. Yes, the mercury is liquid but it's part of a compound. Thiormersal breaks down into Ethylmercury which then metabolizes out of your system, and does not accumulate. Methylmercury with is what accumulates and is very dangerous.

Yes, thiomersal is poisonous, but so is water in a high enough quantity. Carcinogens and toxins are about quantity, and the quantity in vaccines is well under any danger point proven through testing and medical trials (that's why they are allowed to use it).

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
My take on it.
Get the flu shot, fine
Don't get the flu shot, also fine.

Insisting your view on it is the only one allowed to be held, not so fine.

I've had the flu once in the past decade without ever getting a shot. Once I pass 60 I might consider getting it, but now it's just a hassle for little payoff. Now tetanus and whooping cough, I'm up to date.

Because the flu mutates.

?
Then why call it a vaccine.
Call it a flu shot, booster, flu prevention shot...….a vaccine prevents disease and illnesses for many, many years, most for life. Not once a year.
For the love of God why do they put stuff that is very bad for your health in it. I worked at a mental health facility for 2 years. Very much like a Hospital. I did receive the flu shot for obvious reasons but I always got the single dose that does not contain Thimerosal. Its the same protection so why not limit the preservatives and carcinogenics.

Top Bottom