What's new
    As per our long standing policy of not permitting medical advice on the forum - all threads concerning the Coronavirus will be locked.
    For more info on the coronavirus please see the link below:
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/summary.html

Flu Shot

Will you get a flu shot this year?

• Yes

Votes: 23 15.9%
  • Yes, I have for several years

Votes: 91 62.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have before but not this year

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • No

Votes: 9 6.2%
  • Not only no, but hell no!

Votes: 13 9.0%

• Total voters
I'm old, have a chemo compromised immune system and it is free. I get a sore biceps for a day usually after the shot. As someone has already mentioned, I'll time it for late September to get well past March, assuming something else doesn't tag me before then

Doc4

I'm calling the U.N.
Moderator Emeritus
I had a Doctor in my Doctor's practice tell me not to get the flu shot until October
Curious. Do you remember his reasoning?

My mother, who is 88 years old has already decided she is not getting the Covid19 vaccine when it comes out. She is convinced they are putting RFID chips in it so the government can track you. SMH
Tell your mother that even the guy who believes in Bigfoot is laughing at her.

Rumor has it country’s in the Southern Hemisphere pretty much avoided this years flu season - what with everyone sanitizing and wearing masks to fight off COVID-19. You might just not need to have a flu shot this year.

FarmerTan

George Bailey Fanboy
Curious. Do you remember his reasoning?
He said that there is a better chance of there actually being a treatment in the shot for the latest strains of influenza in it the later it's produced.

He is not a native to this country, so there is the possibility that his native country got "old stock", so to speak in his childhood. I know that is not as likely here in the states, but when I used to give out both flu shots and TB tests I had to write down both the lot number and the expiry on the vial.

Free advice: when receiving any injection, relax the muscle as much as possible. I've had patients that have actually bent needles with a stiffened deltoid muscle! I can only imagine how their arms must have felt the next day!

He said that there is a better chance of there actually being a treatment in the shot for the latest strains of influenza in it the later it's produced.

He is not a native to this country, so there is the possibility that his native country got "old stock", so to speak in his childhood. I know that is not as likely here in the states, but when I used to give out both flu shots and TB tests I had to write down both the lot number and the expiry on the vial.

Free advice: when receiving any injection, relax the muscle as much as possible. I've had patients that have actually bent needles with a stiffened deltoid muscle! I can only imagine how their arms must have felt the next day!
I can testify to that fact. I have piriformis syndrome and they attempted to treat it by dry needling the muscle. After the physical therapist bent four of his needles she gave up. The muscle was under constant tension and the only way to relax it was muscle relaxers like flex Erik, or deep massage therapy, and I mean deep.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Contributor
I've been an ICU RN for 34 yrs. The Flu shot is required, but they give you the option of not taking it and wearing a mask during Flu season, which I have done for many years. I have never had the flu and I stay healthier wearing the mask than my co-workers who get the shot. I'm not an anti-vaxer per se, but I have little trust in the flu shot's effectiveness. I guess I was wearing the mask before it was cool (not)! I am a big believer in Vitamin C. There are those who suggest that high dose Vit. C is not supported in the medical studies as being effective, but it works for me. I take 1000 mg every day and I take it twice a day during flu season. If I feel anything viral coming on, a cold, stomach virus, a cold sore, whatever, I take 2 gms three times a day the first day, a total of 5 gms. the second day, 4 gms. the next day, then 3gms and then back to my base line dosage. It seems to knock out a cold or other viral illness in a couple of days. By the way, I use the Ester-C brand, more expensive but it does not irritate your stomach at high doses like the inexpensive sour tasting Vit. C can.

ackvil

In the past, our doctor said the same thing with the same reasoning. However, this year he said to get in ASAP.

I'm a teacher so I will get it to protect myself from the germ vectors - sorry, students. My wife is a health care worker and always gets one (it's required).

Top Bottom