What's new
    As per our long standing policy of not permitting medical advice on the forum - all threads concerning the Coronavirus will be locked.
    For more info on the coronavirus please see the link below:
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/summary.html

Flu Shot

Will you get a flu shot this year?

• Yes

Votes: 16 14.2%
  • Yes, I have for several years

Votes: 69 61.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 7 6.2%
  • I have before but not this year

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • No

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • Not only no, but hell no!

Votes: 12 10.6%

• Total voters
I got my flu shot for the year today. I have received the quadravalent in years past, but this year they gave me an over 65 vaccine called FLUAD. It has a higher dose of antigens than the standard vaccine. I have mixed feelings about being in a group that requires high dose vaccines. I’m glad that I can get one, but not happy that I need one.

My wife says she will never get the flu vaccine. She claims they give you the flu...I don’t try to reason with her.
This made me laugh. I get the flu shot every year—they bring in nurses to my office at the start of flu season and anyone who wants it can get it. But I laughed because my wife refuses to get a flu shot because she also believes it will give her the flu!

This made me laugh. I get the flu shot every year—they bring in nurses to my office at the start of flu season and anyone who wants it can get it. But I laughed because my wife refuses to get a flu shot because she also believes it will give her the flu!
My mother, who is 88 years old has already decided she is not getting the Covid19 vaccine when it comes out. She is convinced they are putting RFID chips in it so the government can track you. SMH

Yes, typically the week after Labor Day, but I am a couple of weeks behind this year. I will get it next week as will my wife who is a middle school teacher. I have only had the flu once in the past 40 years, that was this past March. I thought for sure I had COVID, but tested negative for the antibodies. Laying in bed for a week with a 102 fever is not fun, so no brainer for me getting a shot.

The Shingles vaccine is not fun. The 2nd of two shots had me shivering in bed for 24 hours, which apparently is not uncommon. I hope the vaccine works because the Shingles looks brutal!
Yikes. I’m on the waiting list for that one. There is apparently a shortage on the vaccine.

At work I had to get one , no flu vaccine, then you had to wear a N95mask all the time!!!
Got it one year and as usual my arm hurt and did not feel OK. Nurses there told me I was a wimp, and I just said: if you did not get any side effects you got a fake one. Sure enough, a month later a mass email, people that got a vaccine at certain dates got a defective one (basically NO vaccine). So in they went...all these nurses and then they all had sore arms and felt not OK... . I said: and now who is the wimp.....

At work I had to get one , no flu vaccine, then you had to wear a N95mask all the time!!!
Got it one year and as usual my arm hurt and did not feel OK. Nurses there told me I was a wimp, and I just said: if you did not get any side effects you got a fake one. Sure enough, a month later a mass email, people that got a vaccine at certain dates got a defective one (basically NO vaccine). So in they went...all these nurses and then they all had sore arms and felt not OK... . I said: and now who is the wimp.....
I noticed that mine started throbbing a few minutes after the injection. I guess I got a good one.

The Knize

Moderator Emeritus
The Shingles vaccine is not fun. The 2nd of two shots had me shivering in bed for 24 hours, which apparently is not uncommon.
When did you get it. As I think I have said before, I am holding off on that one. I just do not think that kind of reaction is the way it is supposed to go. I thin you are right that that reacton is not so uncommon and hadMy wife's physician about a year ago said to hold off on getting it because of problems they were having. I suppose the idea is the early adopters are sort of part of a beta test, and eventually the manufacturer will tweak things so there are fewer side effects. I did have the previous version shingles vaccine. No doubt that shingles is something worth trying to avoid.

I will probably hold off on getting a COVID vaccination, too. Not to get political, but I think the approval of such a vaccine has potentially gotten way too political for me to trust that the typical safeguards have been adhered to, and I do not want to be a lab rat. I am very good about social distancing, etc.

Anyone besides me remember swine flu? Anyone sorry they did not rush to get that vaccine earlier than they did? Anyone still get that vaccination after the Guillain-Barré syndrome cases started coming out that were unquestionably caused by it?

That said, I am for the most part a big proponent of vaccinations, including penalties for those who do not get their children vaccinated. I suppose under that analysis I am all for everyone else getting that COVID vaccine just as soon as it comes out! :)

I would go to a veterinarian and get a animal tracking chip and show her that thing easiest way to explain that it will not fit a narrow gauge needle.
And yeah there is nano tech, which is likely not capable of that either at this moment. but why bother we almost all carry a smartphone anyhow.

now if you would have had serious adverse reactions on former vaccins or medications now that would be a more than good reason not to.

I wait until mid October to get it. The flu shot lasts about 6 months. Flu season typically goes from mid October and can sometimes linger into May. Getting the shot in mid October ensures I will be protected during the worst of flu season. I get one every year for the last 10 years or so and have never experienced any side effects other than a sore arm for about a day. I also have never had the flu in the years I’ve been getting the shot.

When a Covid vaccine comes out, I’ll get one, so long as I know it has been through all of the proper testing.

My wife says she will never get the flu vaccine. She claims they give you the flu...I don’t try to reason with her.
Don't waste you're time. If she has a twin sister from KY, I think I married her, and I'm not sure she's wrong..

In the swine flu hysteria of 1976, my wife, our 5yo daughter and I lined up like cattle for several hours, outside a Florida clinic for THE shot that was to save all manking from the coming pandemic. The pandemic never came, but my wife had a very bad reaction to the shot and was sick with fever for days afterwards. That scared the bejeezus out of us. Thank God, she had no long lasting effects, but from what I've read, there was an increase in Guillain-Barré syndrome from that shot. She has not gotten a flu shot since.

I didn't get another flu shot until I was 65. My pharmacist cousin recommended that I get a regular shot, and not the senior dose. I listen to him, because he's as crazy as I am. Being retired, and somewhat of a recluse anyway, I usually wait until late in the year to see if the shot is effective against the strain. Some years I get a flu shot and most years I don't. This year all shots are a no. If I'm avoiding people to avoid Covid, I don't feel I need for a flu shot. The only shots I get are tetanus and pneumonia. I'm in my mid-70s and never got a shingles shot - never will. I also won't be getting a Covid or flu shot this year. I've posted this song before in the music section, but I'll post it here again just for your wife.

Last edited:

It's Hedley

Contributor
When did you get it. As I think I have said before, I am holding off on that one. I just do not think that kind of reaction is the way it is supposed to go. I thin you are right that that reacton is not so uncommon and hadMy wife's physician about a year ago said to hold off on getting it because of problems they were having. I suppose the idea is the early adopters are sort of part of a beta test, and eventually the manufacturer will tweak things so there are fewer side effects. I did have the previous version shingles vaccine. No doubt that shingles is something worth trying to avoid.

I will probably hold off on getting a COVID vaccination, too. Not to get political, but I think the approval of such a vaccine has potentially gotten way too political for me to trust that the typical safeguards have been adhered to, and I do not want to be a lab rat. I am very good about social distancing, etc.

Anyone besides me remember swine flu? Anyone sorry they did not rush to get that vaccine earlier than they did? Anyone still get that vaccination after the Guillain-Barré syndrome cases started coming out that were unquestionably caused by it?
I got my flu shot and shingles shot on the same day. I would not recommend it. I was a complete mess for a few days.

That said, I am for the most part a big proponent of vaccinations, including penalties for those who do not get their children vaccinated. I suppose under that analysis I am all for everyone else getting that COVID vaccine just as soon as it comes out! :)
I am 55 years young. I too got my flu shot and shingles shot on the same day last year. I believe this is why I felt off for 24 hours with a mild fever. I do not recommend getting the flu shot and shingles shot on the same day. I cannot remember if I got the flu shot the same day as my first shingles shot or my second shingles shot. You get your shingles shots one month apart if you want to plan ahead.