What's new
    As per our long standing policy of not permitting medical advice on the forum - all threads concerning the Coronavirus will be locked.
    For more info on the coronavirus please see the link below:
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/summary.html

Flu Shot

Will you get a flu shot this year?

• Yes

Votes: 16 14.2%
  • Yes, I have for several years

Votes: 69 61.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 7 6.2%
  • I have before but not this year

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • No

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • Not only no, but hell no!

Votes: 12 10.6%

• Total voters
I got my flu shot for the year today. I have received the quadravalent in years past, but this year they gave me an over 65 vaccine called FLUAD. It has a higher dose of antigens than the standard vaccine. I have mixed feelings about being in a group that requires high dose vaccines. I’m glad that I can get one, but not happy that I need one.

My wife says she will never get the flu vaccine. She claims they give you the flu...I don’t try to reason with her.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Moderator Emeritus
Contributor
I'm kinda a get it when it so happens I'm in the doc's office when it is available kinda guy. I've had the flu several times over the years.

This year I'm going to do my best to get a flu shot. I really don't want to burden the health care system given what is going to need attention this fall.

ajkel64

I have never had one before. LOTH gets one every year religiously. My uncle has recently gone into a nursing home and they won’t let you visit unless you have had the flu shot and have an accompanying certificate to prove it. I will have to rethink my policy on this as I would like to visit my uncle.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
I have never had one before. LOTH gets one every year religiously. My uncle has recently gone into a nursing home and they won’t let you visit unless you have had the flu shot and have an accompanying certificate to prove it. I will have to rethink my policy on this as I would like to visit my uncle.
I’d say it might be worth it then. I recall when I got it, it had no affect on me at all. Ya know, some folks say “it will make you sick!”. It was like I never got it at all. No reaction.

FarmerTan

George Bailey Fanboy
I got my flu shot for the year today. I have received the quadravalent in years past, but this year they gave me an over 65 vaccine called FLUAD. It has a higher dose of antigens than the standard vaccine. I have mixed feelings about being in a group that requires high dose vaccines. I’m glad that I can get one, but not happy that I need one.

My wife says she will never get the flu vaccine. She claims they give you the flu...I don’t try to reason with her.
Your marriage sounds IDENTICAL to mine in this regard.

I had a Doctor in my Doctor's practice tell me not to get the flu shot until October, so that is what I have been doing for the last few years with no Ill effect. Got the flu and a pneumonia shot last year. Healthiest winter I can recall followed! I think my CPAP machine may have also been a huge contribution to that fact.

Having worked in healthcare for years it was mandatory. I have continued to get an annual flu shot and will every year in the future. As a family we did contact the flu many years ago. No fun, no joke.
I’ve had the flu a few times when I was younger and don’t recall how bad it was. Six years or so ago I came down with the flu and missed two weeks of work. One week sicker than a dog and one week too weak to walk more than a few feet. The next year I started getting the shot and haven’t been sick since.

ackvil

Years ago I got the flu on a business trip to Chicago. I was in a hotel room for three days and thought I was going to die. After that experience, I got the shot every year and have never had the flu again.

My wife is on chemo and has a compromised immune system from the chemo. As a result, I got the flu shot earlier as recommended by her oncologist. She got one, too.

The Knize

Moderator Emeritus
I nearly always get one. I cannot imagine not, frankly. except for my own negligence. I have never had much of a reaction. I did have a reaction to the latest pneumonia vaccine. Nothing that drastic, but enough to discourage me from the second round for that vaccine.

This is not to say that I have not had the flu in the particular season after getting the shot.

It's Hedley

Contributor
Yes, typically the week after Labor Day, but I am a couple of weeks behind this year. I will get it next week as will my wife who is a middle school teacher. I have only had the flu once in the past 40 years, that was this past March. I thought for sure I had COVID, but tested negative for the antibodies. Laying in bed for a week with a 102 fever is not fun, so no brainer for me getting a shot.

The Shingles vaccine is not fun. The 2nd of two shots had me shivering in bed for 24 hours, which apparently is not uncommon. I hope the vaccine works because the Shingles looks brutal!

BigFoot

Androgynous Pistoleer
The Shingles vaccine is not fun. The 2nd of two shots had me shivering in bed for 24 hours, which apparently is not uncommon. I hope the vaccine works because the Shingles looks brutal!
I am holding off on that one with Covid around. I just turned 55 so I am in the recommended age group but I will just cross my fingers until Covid is gone.