What's new

Floris & T&H Samples

I received samples of several Floris samples and the entire Truefitt & Hill lineup from Brittney (plus some extras). I will post a followup after I get into them, but initial impressions is that I really like the T&H samples - nearly all of them. The Spanish Leather smelled great, the Trafalgar, Grafton, Clubman, and Freshman were all excellent as well. The Limes smelled like a margarita :biggrin: but still excellent.

Sliding over to the other thread, trying Quercus today. Not bad but doesn't seem to be lasting. Many of the Penhaligons are smelling a bit similar to me after dry down...

I really like the T&H line of colognes. Based on the samples I received I bought the Spanish Leather and Grafton. I also really like the Trafalgar and Freshman.

The only one I did not like was the 1805. The Limes smelt great but lasted about ten minutes before completely disappearing without a trace.

water said:
I really like the T&H line of colognes. Based on the samples I received I bought the Spanish Leather and Grafton. I also really like the Trafalgar and Freshman.

The only one I did not like was the 1805. The Limes smelt great but lasted about ten minutes before completely disappearing without a trace.
Hi Water,
Have you ever tried the Clubman?

Absolutely Ron. I had practically forgotten about the Clubman scent; when I read your post I grabbed my sample and was reminded how nice it is.

If someone offered to give me one T&H cologne for free (aside from the Spanish Leather and Grafton which I own) I think I would choose Trafalgar. However, I certainly would not be upset if I had to take Clubman or Freshman. I would love to see any of those three available in next month's decant club offerings.

What do you think of Freshman and Clubman Ron?

James

water said:
Absolutely Ron. I had practically forgotten about the Clubman scent; when I read your post I grabbed my sample and was reminded how nice it is.

If someone offered to give me one T&H cologne for free (aside from the Spanish Leather and Grafton which I own) I think I would choose Trafalgar. However, I certainly would not be upset if I had to take Clubman or Freshman. I would love to see any of those three available in next month's decant club offerings.

What do you think of Freshman and Clubman Ron?

James
I call it the delicious dilemma.. I think that Freshman is probably my favorite of those that do not have a matching cream and balm. I am ambivalent about the Spanish Leather (love it and then leave it). Now Clubman is really the issue.. I enjoy it, but not as much as Freshman. It is difficult to decide.

Two samples into the T&H colognes. This is taking a while... The first one I tried was the Spanish Leather. I liked it, the wife liked it (finally!). After another couple tries, I will likely buy this one. It did seem a bit more "deparmenty" if you know what I mean? I can't really put a finger on it, but it definitely felt newer or more "synthetic" than the Penhaligon's colognes. It had great staying power but was not overly strong. This is a warm, leather, woods and light musk kind of cologne. It is very pleasant but maybe a colder weather type of cologne.

I am trying the 1805 today and I don't really care for it. It is a very fresh scent and smells very clean - overly clean to me I guess. It seems a combination of a bit strong sandalwood with marine or ocean type characteristics. The smell is not bad, but it is not something I am really looking for. It has excellent staying power so far. I think I will pass on this one though.

The T&H Spanish Leather was reformulated recently, and I agree it is now more "departmenty". I had a bottle and sold it. Others, however, love it, so as usual YMMV

Two more down... I tried the T&H Grafton and the Floris JF. I better had liked the JF because I bought it sight unsmelled from the Floris sale. :smile: THe JF is nice and was one of the scents I was looking for when I started this whole thing. But it has been on about 5 hours now and had faded quite a bit. The initial is really orange and citrus and the dry down was continued orange with some amberish smell - very nice, but feels like a colder weather cologne for some reason. I think I will like this one - glad I got it on the cheap.

My recall on the Grafton is fuzzy.... I have been wearing different colognes each day so they are starting to run together. This was Saturday I think, and I recall really liking it from the time it went on until it was completely gone after about 4 hours (sigh). It is a little hard to tell how much cologne is going on with the samplers, so repeats will be required (for this and all the ones I narrow down to). So, here is the pattern emerging:

Yup, yup, yup:
Penhaligon's English Fern
Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet
Floris JF
Floris Santal
T&H Grafton

Pretty good, but...:
T&H Spanish Leather (just something weird about it).

Not bad but not right now:
Penhaligon's Quercus
Penhaligon's Endymion
Penhaligon's Douro

Ugh:
T&H 1805

What I am looking for are 3-4 (or 5 or 6!) colognes for regular rotation. I still have Trumpers samples (if they ever arrive, geez) and the rest of the Floris line to go through. Are the ones above looking too similar or am I playing the field so far?

Nice post, Dennis. I think we have similar tastes.

I agree on the JF. In warm weather, it smells like battery acid on me, but in cooler weather it is lovely.

You might want to consider a crisp, classic, traditional mens fragrance in your rotation. Something like Atkinson's English Lavender, Harris Arlington, or perhaps Acqua di Parma.

Scotto said:
Nice post, Dennis. I think we have similar tastes.

I agree on the JF. In warm weather, it smells like battery acid on me, but in cooler weather it is lovely.

You might want to consider a crisp, classic, traditional mens fragrance in your rotation. Something like Atkinson's English Lavender, Harris Arlington, or perhaps Acqua di Parma.

Thanks Scotto - I requested a sample (well, all of them) from DR Harris so we will see. I can't find Acqua di Parma or Atkinsons on the web. Do you know where I might be able to get samples of these or find their parent companies?

I don't think it likely that Harris will send you samples, but you never know. PM me if you have interest in samples of the others. If you want to buy outright, you can get the Atkinson's at Someplaceintime.com, and the Harris at various places. Not sure on the Acqua, but I am sure a web search will yield you results easily.

Definitely try to get your hands on a sample of Acqua di Parma. Since receiving my B&B decant it has rocketed to the top of my favourites list.

Although it starts out almost too "lemon-y" (think Pledge), that only lasts a couple of seconds before it winds down into a beautifully clean fragrance with hints of citrus. Very classy scent.

Top Bottom