What's new

Floris Soaps

Thursday morning I used my Floris JF soap in a wooden bowl to shave with. I've used it a couple of times before, but now with a bit of experience under my belt, all I can say is "wow"!

12 hours later, only a trace of stubble. With it's "clean" aroma, I have gotten one of the best shaves ever!

Any one else using Floris soap on a regular basis?

Randy

Randy,

Today was a Floris JF soap day for me as well.

Great lubrication, super close shave, dense lather. It is clearly one of the best soaps I have used and definitely worth a lot more than the price paid at Marshalls.

Randy, Floris is one of the best shave soaps available in the market. Too bad that they are so expensive. A few folds have reported finding the soap at Marshalls at a great price.

I am pleasantly surprised to read this thread. I bought a puck in 2009 which was an absolute disaster in terms of lather (if you look back in the threads back then you will see that there was a batch of soaps from Floris that were surprisingly awful). I wrote to Floris and voiced my complaints. They exchanged my puck for a reformulation which was infinitely better than the first one but still lacked the thickness of lather and the protective qualities of for example Tabac. Am I to understand, that yet further improvements have been made?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I think they were talking about the old tallow based versions. The later re-formulations were hit and miss. I was lucky and had a couple that performed very well.

The latest formula in the blue box is great in terms of lather, scent strength and post shave feel. The formula before that in the various colored boxes (tan, beige, etc) were too strongly scented so I sold them as soon as I received them. I also have a vintage puck, with the fancy scroll imprint, which I believe is tallow based and it is as good in all departments as the current formula but doesn't have much scent left.

The latest formula in the blue box is great in terms of lather, scent strength and post shave feel.

Well now. You surely got me interested! So far Floris has been one of the few soaps that I have been lingering about to buy actually. Can I see slow hand raising up among the crowd saying- buy with with confidence gents!?:001_cool:

I am going to pass for now. Nevertheless, if you are eyeing a British soap with a great scent, I would recommend that you buy Czech and Speak Oxford and Cambridge. Now that is a great soap!

C & S Oxford and Cambridge shaving soap is indeed superb. While sold and branded by Czech and Speake, it is manufactured by Valobra, so technically it is an Italian soap, not British.

C & S Oxford and Cambridge shaving soap is indeed superb. While sold and branded by Czech and Speake, it is manufactured by Valobra, so technically it is an Italian soap, not British.

Safe bet then:) I love Valobra. Any recommendations where to buy Czech and Speake online in Europe? Darn- that brand is expensive and sort off put me off when I was in London this January.

You can buy their current formulation of 89 with confidence.

Grayson, I am guessing by your comments you have or had a cake of the #89? I only ask because as most know the first reformulation of Floris soaps was horrid by most counts. I have owned none of the versions so cannot really make a comparison. Floris #89 is one of the best cologne scents I have ever sniffed and a shave soap of that scent has always been a big draw for me. However, the Floris soaps carry a heavy premium and I don't want to make a costly mistake. I know this is a loaded question but which type or brand of soap would you compare it to? I mean, similar to the great French soaps like Institut Karite or Provence Sante? Or maybe more like some of the modern English soaps that worked okay but were maybe not quite up to their old tallow counterparts? I won't even go into the latest incarnation of Geo. F. Trumper soaps but I think you get the drift. Thanks.

Cheers, Todd

Top Bottom