What's new

Floris shaving soap

I've used a couple Floris soaps; just a guess, vintage 2010 or so.
Great scents, but just don't lather quite as well as others, such as DRH or C&S.
OTOH, their shave creams smell and lather great.
Their shop in Picadilly is a destination not to be missed if you are ever in the area!

floris soap.jpg

I had a NOS puck of Floris 89 that I got in a trade. One of the best scents in shaving. Just amazing. Also one of the worst performing shave soaps ever. Hopefully it has been reformulated.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
^^^ That. I was given a puck of Elite for Christmas, smells divine, lather is almost non existant. Obviously the people that sell it don’t use it. Shame really, it could be the best shaving soap in the world but they don’t seem to care about its really poor performance.

HELLO FLORIS !?!?

I recently purchased a NOS Floris 89 in a wooden bowl. The soap was still in the original wrapper. I have been impressed with both the scent and performance. After reading the many negative reviews I was surprised too. I like the smell and the soap produces a thick creamy lather. Very pleasant to use IMO.

I got one a couple of years ago because of its great smell. It is the absolutely worst performer of all the two dozens or so I have in rotation. Actually, it's the only one being kicked out of my rotation completely. Don't buy it!

I believe Floris was one of the traditional tallow soaps that changed to a sodium palmate base. Others that use the same base are GFT and T&H. I find the soap, like most, to have an ugly lather but once you get past that it's actually a very slick and protective lather even if thin looking. I would probably recommend that you find something else but if you are interested in seeing how a thin lather can actually be one of the best it might be worth a try.

I've never tried Floris though I am very keen to. The price and comments like those above have so far put me off.

That said, I see it once again compared to T&H and I have to say I have had no issues with their soaps at all.....

Released in 2019.

Apsley Ingredients:
Potassium Palmate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Palmate, Glycerin, Aqua (Water), Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Palm Kernel Acid, Parfum (Fragrance), Sodium Chloride, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Panthenol, Limonene, Hydroxycitronellal, Citronellol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool.

Is that an old or newer formula? If it's newer then there is hope yet for the tradtional UK soaps.

Released in 2019.

Apsley Ingredients:
Potassium Palmate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Palmate, Glycerin, Aqua (Water), Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Palm Kernel Acid, Parfum (Fragrance), Sodium Chloride, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Panthenol, Limonene, Hydroxycitronellal, Citronellol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool.

So definitely a newer formula with potassium hydroxide rather than sodium hydroxide lye as the primary it seems.

My father used the old Floris shaving soap for years; it was what family members used to get him for Christmas and birthday presents. However, despite being the most conservative man then living, he told people to stop getting it for him after they changed the ingredients.

Top Bottom