What's new

Floris No. 89

Hey guys,

I was looking around at the Floris website and thought that No. 89 might be something I want to try. I've heard mixed reviews on basenotes. Some say it is an oldie, but goodie. Others describe it as smelling like a funeral parlor.

Anyone ever try it?

Tried their sample. I really liked it and would consider buying it. Right after I buy JF, Endymion, and Tam Dao. They do give out wonderful sample packs at no cost.

I wore some of my sample last night. It goes on strong and sharp, but for me, after a while it turned very sweet after a while, almost powdery.. Very different than when you sniff it out of the bottle. Not sure I would buy it.. My favorite is Elite..

-Mason

It is rather subtle, and to your perception disappears quickly; only to return every now and again.

I agree with masonjarjar that it's life cycle is different than a sniff of the bottle. So I am guessing that it is a very body chemistry centric scent, either it works or bombs.

For me, I love No.89, has a certain elegance to it. Florals and a woody/powdery base.

YMMV

I like the EdT. It is a very classy scent. Reminiscent of a gentleman's club (English, not American :biggrin1:) to me.

I am a fan of it...it is a classic scent, perfect for the office. I have had many compliments while wearing it. That said it is on the more conservative/mature side. Get a sample a give it a try.

Daniel

Hey guys,

I was looking around at the Floris website and thought that No. 89 might be something I want to try. I've heard mixed reviews on basenotes. Some say it is an oldie, but goodie. Others describe it as smelling like a funeral parlor.

Anyone ever try it?

Send them an e-mail and they'll send you samples of their entire mens line.

==Tom

Request a sample. That said, I found 89 to be too powdery for me, but then my Floris favorites are Santal and JF, and their vetiver.

I always confuse No. 89 for Elite when it comes up for discussion. Having said that, No. 89 reminds me of the signature Brut fragrance. I don't like Brut, but I do like No. 89. Strange, I know.

Yes, request samples. Despite all the positive reviews on it, I did not care for it. Not a bad scent, but to me it smells an awful lot like Pinaud Special Reserve.

I called Floris and they said they were out of the No. 89 samples :frown:

They are sending me the men's collection, nevertheless. I also requested the women's collection to pick out something for my wife.

This scent is not for me. I really wanted to like it but it never grew on me. If you are interested in a rose scent than you should try C&S 88.

I'm in the "too powdery for me" camp, and I can somewhat understand why it might evoke notions of the funeral parlor. Still, it's well liked by many. I have a sample of it that I'm willing to part with if you like. PM me if you want to arrange something.

Fragrance-wise, they sent me Elite, No. 89, Vetiver, and Santal, but not JF, which disappointed me. They did send the JF cream/balm, but not the EDT. :frown:

edit: Thanks masonjarjar for offering to send a JF sample! The people on this board really make it a great place.

Thanks guys. I went ahead and purchased a bottle in honor of my new job.

Now if I can only choose between Truefitt's Spanish Leather (the stuff my wife adores) or Hammam to ask for Christmas. :drool:

Thanks guys. I went ahead and purchased a bottle in honor of my new job.

Now if I can only choose between Truefitt's Spanish Leather (the stuff my wife adores) or Hammam to ask for Christmas. :drool:

Hamman? Tell me about Hamman. If its like Spanish Leather, I'm interested.

Hammam Bouquet smells nothing like Spanish leather. It is totally different!

Many men have poo-pooed it. Others adore it. Some say it smells like slutty. Others, such as myself, say it smells like a toweloff in a Turkish bath, complete with rosewater and talc.

It is from a time when men were not afraid of wearing floral scents.

OK, I've tried 89 twice and find myself in the "too powdery" camp.

You know, its great to have a like or not experience. Allows one to move on to try another of the many fine fragrances that are out there.

Maybe Kinze 10?

Top Bottom