What's new

Floris N0.89

Been using this fragrance now for about 4 months and absolutely love it.
Anyone have any experience with the other scents from Floris and want to share which one should be my next pick up?

Floris Santal is my signature scent (or at least one of them.). It’s the closest thing to Gucci Envy that you can still get. Envy was my go to for years until I walked into a Sephora one sad day in the late 00s only to be told it had been discontinued.

Santal is missing the ginger but replaces it with (I believe) a white pepper note. Very mature, elegant, and unimposing.

have only a couple floris shave items, enjoy them!

floris aftershaves.jpg

I have never understood why Floris Special No. 127 is not more popular and not at least as popular as No. 89, but it is not. So I may not be a reliable person to opine on this. To me the 127 is close to 89, except citrus substituted for rose. I remember liking the 127 better. It has been a while since I have had either. Frankly, I do not love the 89. To me it smells a little dated. There are other roses scents I like better. The 89 rose seems a little "dusty" or dried out or something to me. But many folks like it and it is a classic. I do not have much of a view of the other Floris scents. For a while many seemed imitative of other popular scents and not as good to me. Some of the vintage Floris scents, no longer available, were wonderful. Sandalwood (not Santal) and, as I recall, Vetiver. Very pure example of their type.

Very different. 88 is a sweet, intense Otto rose, plus incense, plus other modern and Eastern elements. Funereal. 89, more a very traditional Brit scent, rose, tea rose, I suppose, centric. 89 seems a part of traditional scent making. 88 is unique. Modern.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I've enjoyed No.89 for years. I currently have the aftershave, the aftershave balm, and the EdT. I've also had the shaving soap and the shower gel at times. Terrific products. I own Floris Elite in aftershave and EdT, but I like 89 better. Finally, I have JF in aftershave and EdT. My least fave of the three, it doesn't have that classic feel. It's like 23 other Green Irish Tweed knockoffs. For expensive GIT knockoffs, I think Trumper's Freshman is much better.

Over the years I've also enjoyed Floris Santal, and New Mown Hay remains my all time sentimental fave fragrance. At some point I'll try Special 127, but I haven't as yet.

I have never understood why Floris Special No. 127 is not more popular and not at least as popular as No. 89, but it is not. So I may not be a reliable person to opine on this. To me the 127 is close to 89, except citrus substituted for rose. I remember liking the 127 better. It has been a while since I have had either. Frankly, I do not love the 89. To me it smells a little dated. There are other roses scents I like better. The 89 rose seems a little "dusty" or dried out or something to me. But many folks like it and it is a classic. I do not have much of a view of the other Floris scents. For a while many seemed imitative of other popular scents and not as good to me. Some of the vintage Floris scents, no longer available, were wonderful. Sandalwood (not Santal) and, as I recall, Vetiver. Very pure example of their type.
I guess it doesn’t hurt that Floris No. 89 is the fragrance James Bond wore (and Ian Fleming). And Prince Philip, I think. It’s the epitome of a gentleman’s fragrance from a time when men were men. These days we are less likely to identify floral scents as masculine, but history and tradition still count for something.

I guess it doesn’t hurt that Floris No. 89 is the fragrance James Bond wore (and Ian Fleming). And Prince Philip, I think. It’s the epitome of a gentleman’s fragrance from a time when men were men. These days we are less likely to identify floral scents as masculine, but history and tradition still count for something.
The connection to Bond is really pretty tenuous as I recall, but I agree that the concept has helped sell some cologne. The net tells me 89 came out in 1951.

I just had a look at notes listed for Floris No. 89 and Special 127 at vary places on the net. None seemed to emphasize the rose for No. 89 and the notes, except for the base notes, did not seem to differ all that much for these two. It has been a while since I have smelled either. Is my recollection off that No. 89 is very much a rose scent? That 127 is very much a citrus scent?

Floris Santal is one of my signatures. I’m very interested in trying No. 89 but there’s no handy place for me to sample (and no time!). I would appreciate is someone who’s familiar with both could compare and contrast the two.

Also, seeing as No. 89 is a rose scent, is it at all similar to Chanel Egoiste?

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I just had a look at notes listed for Floris No. 89 and Special 127 at vary places on the net. None seemed to emphasize the rose for No. 89 and the notes, except for the base notes, did not seem to differ all that much for these two. It has been a while since I have smelled either. Is my recollection off that No. 89 is very much a rose scent? That 127 is very much a citrus scent?
The rose is there but in no sense is it the dominant note. I get rose and carnation in the middle, but more in the sense of a floral talc than a cut rose, if that makes any sense. 89 smells like the soap in a fancy French hotel. Similar in some ways to Habit Rouge, but softer...less sharp.

Top Bottom