What's new

Florida Water

Alright. I’m on the fence about trying it. Walgreens is having a 25% off online sale so it’d be $3.

I just don’t want more stuff if it’s not that good. But since it’s old I’m somewhat intrigued

It's a floral citrus, not straight citrus. Sort of sweet. Has a good amount of alcohol. Scent is not very long-lived. Works great as an aftershave. If you don't like the scent, you can always use it for one of it's other uses...like cleansing evil spirits.

My bottle says "cologne" near the bottom of the label. For me, FW is too drying without adding some glycerin for aftershave purposes. A drop per fluid ounce made mine bearable as an aftershave. Florida Water is iconic, much like 4711 eau de cologne and Old Spice Original. Just buy a bottle and enjoy. If you still need more coaxing, go to the Fragrantica website and search Florida Water. It is one of the highest rated scents on their fragrance listing of thousands of entrys. A side note, if by a small chance you don't like Florida Water as an aftershave, use it as a room or car freshener by applying a few drops to a cotton ball. Smells wonderful used that way.

1 bottle of Florida Water
10 cakes of Williams
10 cakes VDH Deluxe

That should hold me over for a decade....

I bet you’re going to love Florida Water. It is a burner right after a shave, but the scent is spectacular! They used to sell it in an aerosol can for room deodorizing but I cannot find that anymore. Very short lived scent as an aftershave splash and longer on fabric.

I bet you’re going to love Florida Water. It is a burner right after a shave, but the scent is spectacular! They used to sell it in an aerosol can for room deodorizing but I cannot find that anymore. Very short lived scent as an aftershave splash and longer on fabric.
Hopefully. If not I’ll sprinkle it on carpets and what not when I clean. Worst case it was only $3 shipped.

I have used it as an aftershave and think it works well. Kind of musky/citrusy. Wife loves it as a refresher on her face before bed. It is not long lasting, true, but we don't use it for anything that needs to last long. If you want to extend the life, reapply at appropriate intervals.

I have the current U.S. version, and also the Peruvian version, neither one come close in scent or potency of the M&L Florida water of the 1960's , today's splashes are really weak.... The third choice is my favorite, TWO GIRLS Florida water, at least it's high proof, almost as potent as the old M&L.... click here: Two Girls’ Florida Water (1898) and here: TWO GIRLS FLORIDA WATER - Fong Ann Hang Enterprises Pte Ltd
I didnt know there was more than 1. I'll see if I like this one before going in on anything else. I need to pump the brakes on stock piling years of supplies...but I guess thats half the fun.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
My bottle says "cologne" near the bottom of the label. For me, FW is too drying without adding some glycerin for aftershave purposes. A drop per fluid ounce made mine bearable as an aftershave. Florida Water is iconic, much like 4711 eau de cologne and Old Spice Original. Just buy a bottle and enjoy. If you still need more coaxing, go to the Fragrantica website and search Florida Water. It is one of the highest rated scents on their fragrance listing of thousands of entrys. A side note, if by a small chance you don't like Florida Water as an aftershave, use it as a room or car freshener by applying a few drops to a cotton ball. Smells wonderful used that way.

This. I add glycerin, and it's always in rotation.

Said to be popular in spiritual circles ...

AA

I didnt know there was more than 1. I'll see if I like this one before going in on anything else. I need to pump the brakes on stock piling years of supplies...but I guess thats half the fun.
Malocchio is right. There are/were different brands of Florida Water.
Florida Water was actually just a generic term for a type of toilet-water in the United States, as was Kölnisch Wasser (Cologne-water) in Europe. It is the earliest term for a cologne used in the U.S., dating back to at least the early 1800's. In the Nineteenth Century, there were many manufacturers of "Florida Water" and each had his own similar floral scent, but they didn't smell exactly the same. Sophisticated perfumers in the late 1800's started to use the term toilet-water, cologne or perfume for their new-style scents and Florida Water fell into disuse. To-day there are only a few brands left that still use the term, and while they are all old-fashioned floral bouquets, they don't smell exactly the same.
By the way, back then all toilet water was "unisex," i.e. intended for use by either man or woman, and technically still true of any Florida Water to-day.

Last edited:
I have both the Murray & Lanman and the Two Girls versions, and I prefer the scent of the M&L. Get the glass bottle if you can find it. It looks great on my bathroom vanity.

Malocchio is right. There are/were different brands of Florida Water.
Florida Water was actually just a generic term for a type of toilet-water in the United States, as was Kölnisch Wasser (Cologne-water) in Europe. It is the earliest term for a cologne used in the U.S., dating back to at least the early 1800's. In the Nineteenth Century, there were many manufacturers of "Florida Water" and each had his own similar floral scent, but they didn't smell exactly the same. Sophisticated perfumers in the late 1800's started to use the term toilet-water, cologne or perfume for their new-style scents and Florida Water fell into disuse. To-day there are only a few brands left that still use the term, and while they are all old-fashioned floral bouquets, they don't smell exactly the same.
By the way, back then all toilet water was "unisex," i.e. intended for use by either man or woman, and technically still true of any Florida Water to-day.

Great info, thanks for sharing. I'm always learning something new on here.

Ordering the 2 girls directly from overseas is interesting. It comes in nice big glass bottles and is relatively cheap as well. I believe $7 a bottle when I bought 2 bottles last time. It does take 3-5 months to ship...... You’ll forget you ordered it by the time it comes.

Top Bottom