What's new

Florida Marlin Fishing

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I've been thinking about going to Florida next spring to do some marlin fishing...the last time the wife caught a marlin was over a reef that I forget the name of in Cozumel several years ago. That sucker was about 500 pounds.

I've been looking at Marathon in the keys, but the only place I've been in Florida is the Pensacola area. Looking at a 3/4 day off-shore trip instead of reef fishing, but I may be wrong.

Any suggestions, or maybe another country after I get my passport renewed?

I have fished in Marathon and the Keys many times. However, I have never fished for marlin - although I have wanted to try it. My brother-in-law and I usually fished out of Marathon or Islamorada, FL. We usually fished for grouper, snapper, We booked a number of different charters which usually cost about $750 to $1,000 for a full day. We haven't been back there for about five years so I can't give you any recommendations.

As I recall, the best marlin fishing is in the summer months.

If you are willing to travel to Mexico, Cabo San Lucas has excellent marlin fishing. My youngest son when there on vacation and booked a marlin fishing trip for a lot less than what we paid in FL.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Looked a Cabo, Isla Mujeres, St. Thomas, Marathon/Islamorada. Seems like the fishing charters are cheaper in Mexico but the airfare is twice as high as to the Keys. Pretty much a wash.

I thought that maybe the restaurant food prices in St. Thomas may be like the Caymans (you need to bring two suitcases full of money) but they don't seem too outrageous. If I went to Isla Mujeres I could hop the ferry from Play del Carmen over to Cozumel one afternoon and visit some friends. I'll need to do some more checking but it will be next year before I go anywhere.

I have been to St. Thomas numerous times but never for fishing. There are many local restaurants that are reasonably priced.

The Keys are beautiful.
Are Marlin good to eat?
I never caught one.
I should fish more (I live in Florida, Gulf coast).

Last edited by a moderator:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I mispelled keys and could not figure out how to fix it. ...

Under your post...after you've posted it...there will be a "Report", "Edit", and "Delete" thing at the bottom. Click edit and a window will pop up and you can correct it like that. I think you can edit for 45 minutes after you post.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I only had billfish once, swordfish, at a restaurant in the Caymans. Didn't care for it too much, but I don't like firm textured fish that much. It tasted good though. I did have some turtle at a restaurant by the turtle farm there and it was great.

Top Bottom