What's new

Floppy Chubby 2

I am on a quest for the largest knotted brush I can enjoy with a nice short loft and good backbone, for face lathering goodness.
I recently purchased a Simpson's Chubby 2 in Best Badger on the BST, after having read for months that many here find the Chubby to be the ultimate face latherer.... but this brush is WAYYY too floppy for me?!:sad:
I am trying to understand how this is possible. Do the other more expensive grades of Badger this brush is offered in have superior backbone?
This is my first Simpson brush- my other two go-to brushes, a Rooney Heritage XL1 and a Rudy Vey TGN 26mm knot/48mm loft are both great performers and stand up to my lathering pressure with no problem....
When I took this Chubby out of the box, I was sooo happy- the size is beautiful, nice dimensions for me.
Help!

I've never had one but that seems very odd for someone to call a Simpsons chubby floppy... Could it be a brush that was loosely packed as a defect?

I've never heard of a Simpsons Chubby to be floppy. Something does not sound right. I have a Chubby 1 in both Best and Super and they are not floppy at all. Awesome face lather brushes with the Super having softer tips. Simpsons 2-bands have more backbone than the 3-bands, but the 3-bands are by no means floppy. I recently had a Thater 4125/0 22mm 2-band finest silvertip fan and thought that was floppy. It immediately went on the BST after my first shave.

Can you post some pics please? Would love to offer insight. The Chubby brushes are pretty low lofted, so floppiness is not a term you hear. I find that their best certainly blooms out on your face, but this is different than being floppy.

didn't it come with a bottle of little blue pills you need to use prior to beginning lathering as part of the simpsons care instructions?

Lol @ Jon.

I actually find the chubby to not have enough backbone as well. I wouldn't call it "floppy" per se, but i don't think it stands up enough to be an outstanding face latherer. The size is great though!

I think your definition of floppy is different than others. If the 1XL and the Rudy Vey which is lofted pretty low in comparison are your preferred brushes, the chubby will definitely feel floppy although most wouldn't call it that. My chubby 2 is definitely floppier than my heritage brushes but rather than calling the chubby floppy my heritage brushes are referred as having more backbone. At the end of the day it's all relative. I think that's what you're seeing here.

Last edited:
I too would love to see pictures (top view) of said brush. It sounds to me like the "pressure" your brushes stand up too might be a bit excessive if the chubby seems floppy.? I don't really know. I will say that a three band chubby will have a little sway in the knot when lathering roughly, but it is definitely not floppy. A two band chubby 2 in super might be what you seek in a brush.

I wonder if the issue is just difference in terminology use.

To me, a brush is floppy if, when wet, it "flops" back and forth and doesn't stand straight up or hold a definite shape. What I am understanding the OP to be saying may be more of a lack of backbone, in that when he face lathers the brush spreads out more than his preference.

Just thoughts.

Top Bottom