What's new

Floppy Brushes Work Great !!

I have been using my floppy Vulfix 374 quite a bit lately. I still enjoy using my simpsons best badgers. I have a Wee Scot and a Chubby 1. I have been using the Vulfix 374 with Proraso and Arko but lately have been using it with triple milled British soaps like DR Harris and TOBS. I get a great lather with this brush no matter what soap I am using. The softness of the brush feels excellent !!

I love floppy brushes too!
I currently use a Kent BK 8 and it kills any soap I put to it.
Long live the floppy brushes!

The main advantages to denser brushes are backbone and the ability to pick up more soap faster. But ALL shaving brushes can be made to work if you know what you're doing, and it's not exactly rocket science. Floppy brushes don't hog lather like dense ones do, and for that reason I have kept 2 or 3 in my collection.

Of course, to make a floppy brush pick up soap faster and give it a bit more backbone, all you have to do is move your grip to the base of the bristles and adjust accordingly.

Yeah, I like a floppy brush occasionally too, for times when I just want luxurious softness - for me it's a Frank Shaving silvertip that does the trick.

I have been using my Kent BK8 almost exclusively, except for today when the Duke insisted on its turn.

To load a hard soap with a floppy brush, just turn the soap bowl/holder upside down and stick the brush (bristles up) into it and load....

Works every time if your brush is too soft for hard soaps

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got done playing & making test lathers with some supposedly hard to lather soaps, modern Williams & Cade. I whipped up an amazing lather using a brush said to be floppy, the Vulfix 2234. Just proper loading time & you can get any brush to work on any type of soap.

I just got the Kent BK4 (wich is supposed to be floppy). This brush makes an amazing lather with Tabac or Muhle soap.

Last edited:
The brush I use is pretty old and I've had it for years. It lost it's ability to stand up a few years back and it still works fine. I use the same brush everyday and will probably not buy another anytime soon.

I have the same brush, only as the T&H Carlton, in rotation with a Berkley Best and TGN 22mm Finest restore. It's fun to take one soap through each of them, get them working and enjoy the different face feel of each.

There are lots of folks obsessed with dense brushes. I have a floppy (Dovo olive handle) and dense (Rooney 1/2) brush. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. I like the floppy brush for creams, and the dense for soaps. The exception is stick soaps, where I like either.

My dad always used on old floppy badger Brush or an old long loft EverReady. When he taught me to use soap and brush he said "Light Touch and a wet brush. Your trying to make shaving cream, not scrape a layer off the puck or dig a hole to China". I think that lesson is why I don't have issues with floppy brushes and hard soaps when I face lather. I love floppy brushes

They feel surprisingly different to me. Even though BK8 is much larger brush, it has better backbone and stronger hairs than 2234. Also, it's very efficient if you don't mind the bigger knot. 2234 is more playful if you know what I mean. It's soft, soft, soft with thiner hairs. But its density feels exactly what you need from such a brush. It splays a lot but kinda hugs your face instead just spreading the hairs. It realy makes you want to play longer with it on your face. Both have incredible flow through and lather release. I understand people call them floppy because of the relatively lower density but I can't call them moppy because of the good water retension and lather release.

Last edited:
Top Bottom