What's new

Floid Black: It's pretty awesome!

My wife and I are 32, and she just doesn't care for the scent of most "legendary" aftershaves, such as Old Spice, Clubman, Speick, etc. She much prefers more "modern" fragrances. Well it just so happens that I was in the process of ordering some new splashes a few weeks ago, so I added a bottle of Floid Black to my shopping cart. The reviews I could find were mixed as far as scent goes, and probably leaned toward the "this smells horrible" side. But I took a gamble, and I'm glad I did.

I am not good at describing scents, so take this with a grain of salt and don't let my horrible description deter you from trying it. Like some have said, it has a fairly "sweet" and "fruity" scent in the bottle, but it mellows out as soon as I splash it on and develops into what I think is a wonderful fragrance. The fruity side of the scent brings to mind a candied fruit cocktail, if there is such a thing. Now I know you're probably thinking "who would want to smell like a candied fruit cocktail," but I told you I'm not good at describing scents; I promise it's not as bad as it sounds. On the other hand, there is something else that balances it out quite nicely, and I don't know how to describe it other than manliness. If you're into fragrances, I would say it's like Creed Aventus in that it has "fruity" or "sweet" notes to it, but it is overall a very classy, manly scent. I read a few comments that compared it to Axe or other modern "fresh" fragrances, but I cannot disagree more. It doesn't smell like any Axe that I've ever smelled. I would say it's a middle-of-the-road fragrance; it's modern enough that you won't smell like an old man, yet classy enough that you won't smell like horny teenager. It is not subtle, however, so it's definitely one of those "a dab will do ya" situations. And the scent lasts for a solid two to three hours on me. The best part though is that I finally found an aftershave scent that my wife and I both like.

Better yet, it is an amazing performer. My other two favorite aftershaves (so far) are probably Speick and Myrsol Agua Balsamica. I would put the Floid Black somewhere between those two in terms of performance, which says a lot. There's a healthy enough alcohol sting to let you know it's there, but it's not too much. It also has a rich, long lasting moisturizing effect, much like Speick. In fact, it left my face feeling so smooth and moisturized my wife thought I had used some kind of balm or lotion. Heck, had I not applied it myself, I probably would have though I had used a balm. I've been using it for about two weeks now and I am still fascinated every time I use it. Needless to say, Floid Black has quickly risen to the top of my favorites list. So if your looking for a non-old man aftershave, I would highly recommend you try it. Actually, given the performance, I'd recommend it regardless of the scent.

Nice! I had this in my basket in one of the online shops and will probably order it tonight. You and I probably have similar tastes, can't wait to try it. Any others you would recommend? I am going to also try Veleiro Aftershave splash as it seems the middle of the road as well. You can look at my other thread about Clubman and VIBR. Those didn't go to good.

How would you describe the smells of Myrsol Aqua Balsamica? How's your wife like the smell of it?

Last edited:
How would you describe the smells of Myrsol Aqua Balsamica? Speck splash or balm? How's your wife like the smell of those two? Lol so many questions don't mind me.

I'm probably the wrong one to ask to describe scents, but I'll give it a shot. If you read the reviews of Agua Balsamica they say it smells like rosemary and thyme. I don't know what those smell like, but that's probably correct. All I can say is it smells like a combination of fresh cut flowers and greenery combined with some spices or something. It's definitely an "old school" floral-type scent. It's very pleasant and I honestly like it. But it's just too "old" for my wife, since she obviously can't appreciate it for its skincare qualities like I do. The Speick is kind of similar, at least to my nose. It is said to smell like the plant it is derived from, but, again, I have no idea what that's supposed to smell like. It's another "old school" floral scent to me, but it has a more cologne-type quality to it, if that makes sense. It reminds me of the cheap cologne my grandpa used to wear, but not necessarily in a bad way. Like the Myrsol, I quite like the scent of Speick, but my wife doesn't. However, I will continued to use both the Myrsol and Speick regardless of my wife's preferences. But on those days/nights I'm looking for "romance" I will definitely be using the Floid Black.

If you haven't tried Speick I would definitely pick up a bottle of that. Speick seems to be somewhat of a benchmark when it comes to aftershaves, and there's a reason for that. I also really like the Myrsol Agua Balsamica, but I haven't used it enough yet to know whether I like it as much as the Floid or Speick; it is right up there with them though. Captains Choice Bay Rum and Lime were really good performers, but all I could think about when wearing them was that it smelled like Christmas (even the lime). Some really like the scents though. If you like or want to try out a highly mentholated splash, get the Joris Osage Rub. It's only $6 for a huge bottle and it is getting a lot of use from me right now. Those are the only ones I've tried that are worth mentioning.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I'm basically looking for some more modern scents after a few not so modern. Bay Rum is not doing it for me, so I'll probably skip. I'll probably try Speick some time though. Right now the two I enjoy are Proraso splash and Aqua Velva Ice Sport. Probably tip the performance to Proraso.

I have been eyeing this aftershave for some time as I really enjoy modern scents as well. Another aftershave you should look at is Adidas Dynamic Pulse. Modern, sport, inexpensive (~$5), and great performing. There's usually a bottle at Wal-Mart for a pre-purchase sniff.

Great find!

Just curious, what modern fashion designer labels for shoes or bags and perfumes does your wife prefer?

Thanks for this. Floid Blue is my favorite a/s, and I've got a bottle of Suave too and I like it a lot. I've also had a sample of the Italian Genuine. All three of those are relatively similar. I had heard the Black was very different from those, but have not had a chance to smell it yet. Maybe when I finish off my bottle of Suave I'll replace it with Black

Great find!

Just curious, what modern fashion designer labels for shoes or bags and perfumes does your wife prefer?

She's not a fashionista or anything like that, but I know she has one or two large Louis Vuitton purses/bags (not sure what you would call them, but they're much larger than the average purse). I don't keep up with name brands, but I do remember that name. And she doesn't wear perfume because most of it gives her a headache, especially the more "bright" scents. That's another reason why I was so glad to have found the Floid, it doesn't bother her because it's a fairly "soft" or less "sharp" fragrance, if that makes sense.

She's not a fashionista or anything like that, but I know she has one or two large Louis Vuitton purses/bags (not sure what you would call them, but they're much larger than the average purse). I don't keep up with name brands, but I do remember that name. And she doesn't wear perfume because most of it gives her a headache, especially the more "bright" scents. That's another reason why I was so glad to have found the Floid, it doesn't bother her because it's a fairly "soft" or less "sharp" fragrance, if that makes sense.

Hmmm, Louis Vuitton...can't get much more legendary than that, eh?!

As far as scents go, they say, young noses are sharper than older noses.
This can explain some of her adversion to stronger, deeper scents and preference for lighter, citrusy ones.
Sounds like you're a lucky guy in any case!

@lpdb185 Thanks for this review. I like fruity. When you said this, it piqued my interest. I then looked online and someone else described it as pineapple. Right up my alley. I just ordered a bottle from West Coast. $21.

Floid Black smelt like pears to me, it smells the same as the balm but much stronger.

I wasn't a fan of Floid Black, i used it a few times then sold it on. Floid Genuine & Vigoroso i went off of with about 1/3 of each 400ml bottle left.

Suave smelt quite similar to Vigoroso, but less of a kick.

Blue is my favourite aftershave, it's the only Floid splash i still use (I have a few bottles and the EDT's), the balm does it job well though even with the scent.

I received my bottle of Black. I didn't think it smelled fruity like but I do really like it. It has a more modern, "goin out to the club" scent. That sounds strange but Blue has an old school time warp scent. The Black maybe a slight sweet, pear someone said, OK.

Bottom line, I really like it and is now in my rotation. Thanks ipdb185 for the recommendation.

Last edited:
Got the black a week ago or so. Love it, I smell pear/pineapple with a masculine finish. Doesn't seem to last too long, maybe 2-3 hours. It's definitely in the rotation, highly moisturizing for a splash with a very slight stickiness feel which doesn't bother me.

I just tried some Floid Black today and I love it. I agree with what some have said that it has a hint of pineapple scent. Good stuff.

I just tried some Floid Black today and I love it. I agree with what some have said that it has a hint of pineapple scent. Good stuff.

Glad you like it. I posted this because I had read a few negative posts regarding the scent. However, I think the scent is fantastic, and the performance is even better, IMO.

Top Bottom