What's new

Floid Black being discontinued

Bad news for Floid lovers. I noticed it was out of stock almost everywhere and hoped that was just a supply chain issue. This morning West Coast responded to my inquiry and said it's been discontinued. I'm a little surprised because it seemed popular. With blue going away (apparently for good this time) I wonder what the plan is at Floid HQ.

Another change in the Floid line up. They changed the formula of the Italian version 2 years ago, discontinued the Blue 5-6 years ago and also moved from a alcohol first formula to an water first formula.

Plenty of other Classic aftershaves out there to try. I’ve moved on and won’t buy another Floid

I'm just totally speculating here without evidence, for what that's worth, but this suggests something may be going on behind the scenes in terms of their marketing and production mentality. Floid is an old, classic brand, yet Floid Black is apparently a clone (more or less) of Creed Aventus. No offense intended to those who like C.A., but that could mean Floid felt pressured to create a "getting with the times" product (given the popularity of Aventus, apparently with a younger crowd in particular, this seems telling as the scent they chose to copy). Maybe sales of the Floid classics had been dropping as more of the Spanish and Italian oldsters pass on. That could explain the unfortunate canceling of Blue. There's also been an anti-alcohol hysteria that's been spreading in regard to aftershaves, especially with the younger shavers, so the switch to water as a first ingredient could be an attempt to appease that crowd, as well. Again, just speculation, but perhaps Floid needs to realize that their market is going to be traditional European barbershops and tradition-loving hobbyist shavers from here on out, so sticking with the classics and classic formulations is the way to go. I'd hate to see them make the "New Coke" error - obsessing over loss to other brands leading to an abandoning of their reliable customer base. Perhaps they could create a subsidiary label under which they can market to hipsters and make some bucks on the side without compromising the integrity of their venerable lineup. Anyway, just some idle thoughts.

Would be very sad to see this one go.. one of my favorites! I'll start the hunt for another bottle.

For the Spanish speakers, does the article below give more valuable intel?

I haven’t seen a post in this forum about it, but Ludovico Martelli, the parent organization owner of Proraso and Valobra, has acquired the Floid brand in late 2020

from what I read in the Italian shaving community, they are planning a relaunch of the Floid brand. Hopefully they bring back theoriginal Italian Floid and the shaving gods willing also the Floid Blue

Would be very sad to see this one go.. one of my favorites! I'll start the hunt for another bottle.

For the Spanish speakers, does the article below give more valuable intel?

No, nothing interesting, just mentions that is more difficult to find it on the stores. Will see if the new owner of Floïd decides to relaunch the after shaves collection (including blue one).

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I'm just totally speculating here without evidence, for what that's worth, but this suggests something may be going on behind the scenes in terms of their marketing and production mentality. Floid is an old, classic brand, yet Floid Black is apparently a clone (more or less) of Creed Aventus. No offense intended to those who like C.A., but that could mean Floid felt pressured to create a "getting with the times" product (given the popularity of Aventus, apparently with a younger crowd in particular, this seems telling as the scent they chose to copy). Maybe sales of the Floid classics had been dropping as more of the Spanish and Italian oldsters pass on. That could explain the unfortunate canceling of Blue. There's also been an anti-alcohol hysteria that's been spreading in regard to aftershaves, especially with the younger shavers, so the switch to water as a first ingredient could be an attempt to appease that crowd, as well. Again, just speculation, but perhaps Floid needs to realize that their market is going to be traditional European barbershops and tradition-loving hobbyist shavers from here on out, so sticking with the classics and classic formulations is the way to go. I'd hate to see them make the "New Coke" error - obsessing over loss to other brands leading to an abandoning of their reliable customer base. Perhaps they could create a subsidiary label under which they can market to hipsters and make some bucks on the side without compromising the integrity of their venerable lineup. Anyway, just some idle thoughts.
hipsters Ruin everything lol
I thought they all had beards anyway.
I see the point as to CA Clone. Ca is so over. Everyone and their brother copies it. I have 3 different soaps from another maker and they all smell like CA. Enough already

hipsters Ruin everything lol
I thought they all had beards anyway.
I see the point as to CA Clone. Ca is so over. Everyone and their brother copies it. I have 3 different soaps from another maker and they all smell like CA. Enough already
I kindly beg to differ. Floid Black doesn't smell like CA, not at all.
Anyway, I bought Floid Black once and didn't like it. So it's not a loss for me, ymmv.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Anyway, I bought Floid Black once and didn't like it. So it's not a loss for me, ymmv.
I haven’t tried it but based my comments on a few who did and had that comparison
How would you describe F black? Why didn’t you like it?

I don't think Floid Black is a direct CA-clone but it certainly has a similar scent profile, albeit sweeter/warmer and spicier. Already worked my way through 2 bottles of Floid Black over the years and I also wear Creed Aventus on a regular basis, they both have a very prominent pineapple note. Floid Black reminds me more of Black XS by Paco Rabanne.

I ordered some soap from PAA and they sent a sample of Droid Black. Great scent. It sent me looking for Floid Black, and I'm sorry to hear this news. That said, I went to PAA's website and there's no mention of Droid Black on it. I'm hoping they're just out of stock.

I ordered some soap from PAA and they sent a sample of Droid Black. Great scent. It sent me looking for Floid Black, and I'm sorry to hear this news. That said, I went to PAA's website and there's no mention of Droid Black on it. I'm hoping they're just out of stock.
PAA tends to send out samples before they announce a release, so give it some time

Does PAA indicate on the sample that Droid Black is based on Floid Black? That would be great news!

I get the feeling that Floid was bought with the intention of re-releasing Floid Blue as well, perhaps Floid black will also be re-considered when production starts.

Does PAA indicate on the sample that Droid Black is based on Floid Black? That would be great news!

I get the feeling that Floid was bought with the intention of re-releasing Floid Blue as well, perhaps Floid black will also be re-considered when production starts.
yes, Droid Black is an hommage(sp?) to Floid Black. The samples they send out in purchased boxes are indeed a sign that the sample scent is coming. My guess would be August timeframe.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I also received a sample of Droid Black. It is a Floid Black homage scent. It's not available yet, but the fact that PAA is sending out samples with their orders usually means it's four to eight weeks away from being offered. I received a sample of their Fresco which I liked so much, I bought when they came out with it. Droid Black is nice, but I don't think it's a scent I would want. But...if you liked Floid Black...then Droid Black is supposed to be a clone.

Droid Black sample.jpg

Last edited:
I also received a sample of Droid Black. It is a Floid Black homage scent. It's not available yet, but the fact that PAA is sending out samples with their orders usually means it's four to eight weeks away from being offered. I received a sample of their Fresco which I liked so much, I bought when they came out with it. Droid Black is nice, but I don't think it's a scent I would want. But...if you liked Floid Black...then Droid Black is supposed to be a clone.

View attachment 1295666

Such a pity that PAA is not readily available in Europe. And the shops that do carry their products, only offer a very limited range. I just tried one of their CK-6 soaps, amazing stuff. Would love to give this clone a try!

Top Bottom