What's new

Floïd AS

Floïd will forever be a stable in my rotation ... Genuine or Vigorous, love the Epsilon remake of the Blue too ...
Any fellow Floïd lovers out there ...?
In fact, the information I can find on the net on Floïd is relatively limited compared to so many other products. Any links to Floïd info will be appreciated (in English, not Spanish, please)

Well, I think the powder/barbershop scent is fantastic, as is the postshave feel of the menthol/alcohol/glycerin combo. There is an old-school feel to this AS that I love, also in terms of the available bottles (has been made since 1920s).
It seems to be an aftershave sold by most online vendors, at least within the EU, and you will also find that many shaving Youtubers have a bottle of Floïd in their den (also in north america).
In practical terms, it really only comes in one version now as far as I am concerned: amber, barbershop powder scent, either in a 400 ml or a 170 ml bottle, both great old school looking bottles with (I think) bakelite cap.
Floïd has previously been available in a "blue" version as well, now discontinued, but a "revival" version is now being made by Epsilon ("Blue Mediteranian", also great stuff). Actually, a more recently introduced "black label" also exists (only available in a 170 ml bottle), I disregard that because it is a more recent invention, and because I think it smells awful (Floïd also makes other cosmetic products that I entirely ignore here; I have tried their AS balm, didn;t like that either).

What is 'famous' is the one scent in old school bottles, but the scent comes in two varieties, "Genuine" and "Vigoroso". I use both. The former italian made, the latter Spanish; the former slightly less potent than the latter, in terms of menthol and lingering of the scent (using both to suit your temperament on a given day).
Given that Floïd is so old, widespread and distinct, I find it odd that there are relatively few reviews of it out there, at least on Youtube, but also (it seems) elsewhere (incl on B&B).
I have been using it now for 4 years as a steady part of my rotation, I keep loving the stuff. Here is a link with a description from elsewhere on the web.

I'm all in. It took weeks but it definitely grew on me with a complexe and lasting scent, a nice feel on the skin and of course because it's an aftershave that my wife can stand if I use it close to bedtime.
IMG_20211125_211941931.jpg

it's an aftershave that my wife can stand if I use it close to bedtime.
If a factor is what your wife can put up with close to bed time, you should consider getting a bottle of the "Genuine" version too. As I wrote earlier, there are two very similar versions: the "Vigoroso" (which seems to be the one you have, from the photo you inserted), and the "Genuine". They are basically identical in terms of scent and feel, except the Vigoroso has a somewhat more powerful and longer lasting scent than the Genuine. The latter is more discreet in other words, and scent does not linger as long as with the Vigoroso. Also, the Vigoroso has a more powerful menthol-kick compared to the Genuine. I have both, and like to pick one or the other depending on circumstances on a given day.

If a factor is what your wife can put up with close to bed time, you should consider getting a bottle of the "Genuine" version too. As I wrote earlier, there are two very similar versions: the "Vigoroso" (which seems to be the one you have, from the photo you inserted), and the "Genuine". They are basically identical in terms of scent and feel, except the Vigoroso has a somewhat more powerful and longer lasting scent than the Genuine. The latter is more discreet in other words, and scent does not linger as long as with the Vigoroso. Also, the Vigoroso has a more powerful menthol-kick compared to the Genuine. I have both, and like to pick one or the other depending on circumstances on a given day.
Thanks for the reply and the tip. It's true that It can be confusing because on my bottle you both have genuine and vigoroso written en it.
I've got a 400ml bottle of it coming my way. I ordered it on Amazon.

There have been some major Floid developments of late, that ought to be announced in this dedicated string:
A new Floid Genuine has been introduced -- ostensible more true to the original 1932 formula than before.
However, the downside is not only that it replaces the Genuine we knew, but also that the Vigoroso apparently is a thing of the past! Yes, there is only one powdery orange bottle of Floid now -- the Genuine ("new formula"). This is still a very nice aftershave, very similar to the Genuine that was before.
For details, see these discussions elsewhere on BB:

Top Bottom