What's new

Flipping DE blades?

I've read enough posts on flipping DE blades to realize that (1) flipping blades doesn't necessarily improve their lifespan and (2) most shavers can't be bothered flipping them, since the blades are so cheap in the first place.

But why is it that blades typically (not not always) have notations on their corners? On Derbies, you'll see a "1" and "2" on the kitty corners of one side, and a "3" and "4" on the kitty corners of the other side? :huh:

$DERB7.jpg

I've seen similar numberings on the Gillette Silver Blue, Polsilver Super Super Iridium, Personna, and Astra.

I believe I read here in a different thread that the numbers are for quality control. Can someone verify that for me, please?

Yes, indeed they are for quality control during the manufacturing. They have no bearing at all for the user.

I'd never flipped a blade before until a few days ago. I'd just finished 28 shaves on a Feather for the One Blade in February challenge, and thought I'd try flipping the blade over just for grins. I was surprised...on the first stroke the blade felt terrible. This might be due to how long the blade was in the other orientation (and without removal from the razor) - 28 days. But it felt like I was shaving with a Merkur, except worse. I stopped after a few strokes and flipped the blade back over, and it was back to normal (very sharp and smooth). As said, this was a unique circumstance with so many shaves on the blade, so it probably doesn't mean flipping would lead to that kind of result for a much younger blade.

I was surprised...on the first stroke the blade felt terrible. This might be due to how long the blade was in the other orientation (and without removal from the razor) - 28 days. But it felt like I was shaving with a Merkur, except worse.

:blink:

I flipped the blade for no reason at all every time I changed razor during and after the challenge - I felt no difference at all. I used and still use the same Black Indian 7 O'clock. I have in the past felt a slight difference on Red IP's and Astras though.

I swap razor normally every week, but not always the blade.

:blink:

I flipped the blade for no reason at all every time I changed razor during and after the challenge - I felt no difference at all. I used and still use the same Black Indian 7 O'clock. I have in the past felt a slight difference on Red IP's and Astras though.

I swap razor normally every week, but not always the blade.

Yeah, I suspect if I flipped every shave it would be fine. I think maybe the fact that I'd been shaving in the one orientation for 28 days straight might have bent the edge over a bit in one direction (I shave with a very shallow blade angle which would tend to cause this). Just a theory.

As said though, blade flipping in normal use should not have any effect at all.

I flip blades for no special reason and I can't even tell you how I got started doing it. Except perhaps I have slight OCD tendencies. It just seems to be the thing to do.

Excuse me now while I get my Prozac prescription filled. :blink:

Timely thread; I was just wondering the answer to this question this morning. My instinct was that it might slightly help blade life but not enough to be worthwhile. Seems I might have been close to the truth.

I thought the numbers represented the other 4 blades you were missing by not using one of those 5-bladed monstrosities. :0

The mystical benefit of blade flipping is a closely controlled secret. In this sub-forum, every few weeks there is another thread very much like this one in which reasonable-sounding people claim that it does nothing whatsoever. That is just what "they" want you to believe! The truth behind blade flipping (combined, of course, with magnets, pyramids, and crystals) is only available to contributors. I don't want to reveal too much (yes, I'm afraid of the blade-flipping mafia), but I have been an ardent blade-flipper ever since joining the contributor ranks.

I flip my blades on most every shave..... I know that it may not affect the shave quality in reality but I have not actually tested it for myself yet..... I do find it sort of comforting in yes. an OCD kind of way....... it's that "maybe it helps it", etc. etc. etc. feeling......

That's what gets me.......

I flip my blades on most every shave..... I know that it may not affect the shave quality in reality but I have not actually tested it for myself yet..... I do find it sort of comforting in yes. an OCD kind of way....... it's that "maybe it helps it", etc. etc. etc. feeling......

That's what gets me.......

Of course you have tested it for yourself. You just said you flipped your blades on most every shave. You said that you "know that it may not affect the shave quality in reality..."

Technically I flip my blades everyday because when I disassemble my 3 piece razors to clean (basically rinse and pat dry) I never bother to remember which way the blade was. Also I change razors everyday so...

Top Bottom