What's new

flight or riding lessons

Well gents, it looks like I'll soon find myself in a favourable position: I will have some time on my hands as well as a little extra money. I quite like learning new skills. And I've also always wanted to learn to fly and ride a motorcycle since I was young.

So, I've been doing some research into the two, but was wondering what your experiences of taking flying lessons and/or learning to ride a motorcycle were like?

Thanks.

Well, I certainly wouldn't try combining the two...

Coming from a motorcycle background I can tell you it is not at all like riding a bicycle at first. Most people forget to use the clutch when they stop and stall the bike. When you get up to speed (~50kph (~30mph)) the tires act as gyroscopes and will keep the bike steady, assuming there's traction. This makes for some ridiculously fun high speed turns where you look to your side and you're nearly face to face with the road. Again, you need to be 100% sure there's enough traction to pull that stunt. When you're at highway speeds you have to countersteer, which means pushing the left handle will move the bike left and pushing the right handle will move the bike right. It's more intuitive than you think.

Oh, and invest in some good gear because it's cheaper than a hospital visit or funeral if you're in an accident. Bare minimum is a helmet and a good bike jacket. Recommended is boots, gloves, jacket, pants and helmet. I highly recommend Joe Rocket as a brand, it literally saved my life by keeping a few bones in.

Edit: Get some sunglasses too. They'll protect your eyes if the visor pops off your helmet in an accident. Again, experience talking.

I've only dreamed of learning to fly...

But, that would definitely be my choice if I had the opportunity. And, thanks to some recent changes at the FAA, it has become a lot cheaper to get a license (sport pilot license that is).

Sport Pilot is a new classification with some significant restrictions. And the big news is the new classification of sport planes. This all makes it quicker and cheaper to own & fly your own airplane. Here is a link you might want to check out...

http://www.sportpilot.org/

Edit: I just noticed you are in Canada. But, Canada has a similar program, I believe.

Last edited:
Another part of it is how often I'd fly or ride too. I live where I wouldn't be able to ride for a good portion of the year, and flying isn't as easy to just 'go for a spin around the block'. And then there are the costs of course...

Another part of it is how often I'd fly or ride too. I live where I wouldn't be able to ride for a good portion of the year, and flying isn't as easy to just 'go for a spin around the block'. And then there are the costs of course...

Flying also lets one expand his range of travel. There would be many more places within easy range for that long weekend getaway...

Learning to ride a Motorcycle is easy and inexpensive (compared to flying) so I'd go with the flying lessons!

Learning to ride a Motorcycle is easy and inexpensive (compared to flying) so I'd go with the flying lessons!

+1 :lol: I'd say it depends on whether you're planning to buy a motorcycle or plane. Flying lessons would be awesome, but only if you have the money to invest in getting your own wings. Learning to fly someone elses plane, and then having to rent/borrow/steal it to have fun would be difficult. At least with buying a motorcycle, some good gear and an approved rider-safety course, you'd be saving some money, and get the "around town" aspect of fun covered.

I'm sure we'd all love to be in your position. I'd say go for both, if you can! Enjoy, and be sure to post pics of either. I suggest learning to fly in a smaller airport/club type setting, versus a flight school. I learned to fly gliders at Post Mills Soaring Club, in Post Mills, VT. Great friendly, relaxed atmosphere, and real world knowledge of flying skills, not just the text book stuff.:biggrin:

Since you're in Montreal, I found this link. This may prove helpful in deciding:
http://www.laurentideaviation.com/training/

As far as experience goes. I started small, I think this is the best way to go. Getting comfortable with sailplanes/gliders gives you the knowledge of basic airplane controls without having to worry about fiddling with the engine, prop, carb heat, magnetos, ect. Then, its a fairly easy step-up to powered flight. As for motorcycling, I've only tried it in a parking lot on a friends' bike. It was heavy and awkward at first, but not impossible. If you can balance it and pick it up when it falls, then you're on your way.

Last edited:

In Quebec if you get yourself a bike older than 25 years old you can plate it as vintage and save an incredible amount of money. But then you can't (technically) go on the major highways.

My dad an all his friends do this, I've got my learner's permit and should sign up for lessons soon but don't have the extra cash right now.

Just buy an older Honda motorcycle, get some gear, get the permit, and try not to kill yourself. If you can get in then take the MSF course. Above all, stay alert and assume that people are going to do dumb things (they will).

For planes, consider an ultralight, they're cheap(er) and reportedly easier to fly than their non-ultra-light counterparts.

With the right attitude and training, both of these are safe recreational sports.. except that in flying, usually you're the only guy trying to kill yourself; in motorcycle riding, there are times when it seems that every single person in a car is trying to kill you.:mad3:

In one way I'm leaning towards flight lessons just because it seems it'll be easier to learn now when I have the time, and learning to ride would work around my schedule more easily. I just want to run over all the possibilities in my head because of the cost(s).

For those who have flying experience how easy is it to fly when you don't have a plane yourself? Rentals would add up quickly I'd assume...

lets just say i did not get my pilots license in the end because of expense.

background for me is my father had his own planes while i was younger (he still has one that i never did any training in but have flown a few times), i learned to fly via instruments before i could see out of the windows of the plane. this was actually insanely beneficial as most people never get an instrument flight rating because they never really learn how to fly by instruments alone. flew with my father a lot as a kid all across texas and oklahoma did everything but the radios, talking to control on the radio turned out to be the hardest part of flight training for me.

started my flight training officially at 15 in my fathers cesna 182 and a club plane that was a cesna 172. I did not care for the 172 so much. things with training went pretty well used private instructors, the flight school here kind of sucks big time and since we had access to 2 planes it ended up being cheaper or about the same price. i pretty much aced all expectations on the actual flying part i had to do a ton of work on radio communications and learning how to understand the people in the flight towers and trying my best for them to not get ticked off at me. written part was a bit complex never took the written test but i had to do a lot of the ones they used in the past to practice.

written covers pretty much everything from FAA regs to basic mechanical knowledge on the type of aircraft you will be getting licensed in. i hear it is a beast. got up to the point of doing my solo cross country flight (there was an incident with that but that's another story), did about 10 or so more hours of flight training but in the end i had to make a choice between a license or going to college i picked college (and in now in student loan debt anyway).

it is terribly fun i have always loved to fly and find it very relaxing for the most part and thrilling if you feel like making it so... just make sure you are not caught doing anything against FAA regs they will nail you for it lol. on a side note i did also take a 1 hour lesson in a robinson 22 (helicopter) and that was a blast but knew that was not an affordable option.

been up in gliders, single and twin engine planes, ultralights, gyro copters, helicopters and even had the airforce drop in when i was at an airport they let me climb inside a jet used for fighter training (no they did not let me fly in it thought ; ; ).

as far s bikes go only experience in driving them is off road style and very little at that. if you have any directed questions about flying just let me know i will try to answer.

I gave serious thought to getting my pilot's license back in the 70's, when you could get a new airplane for the cost of a luxury car. The problem I had was that I wanted to fly into areas where such things as rental cars were rare, which meant that I was effectively stranded once I got to the airport.

If you are looking at motorcycles, I have four words for you -- RESEARCH, and MOTORCYCLE SAFETY FOUNDATION. First, decide what sort of riding you are going to do -- offroad, street, or dual sport. Then research that type of riding and the bikes. If you are fortunate enough to live in an area where you can practice off the street, get a small, docile bike and have a friend teach you the fundamentals of slow speed riding. Once you have a handle on that, go take the MSF's safety class. This will teach you some of what you need to know to survive, and in many cases will qualify you for your motorcycle certification on your license. It may also save you money on your insurance.

When you get your license, remember that the first hundred miles are the most difficult, but that the thousand miles after that are probably the most dangerous, because you are nowhere near as skilled or knowledgable as you believe yourself to be.

Great replies guys, thanks! My only concern with flying is that once I get my recreational license, I might lose everything I've learned if i don't keep it up. WIth a motorcycle it seems easier to get back into it.

Great replies guys, thanks! My only concern with flying is that once I get my recreational license, I might lose everything I've learned if i don't keep it up. WIth a motorcycle it seems easier to get back into it.

This is true. You have to keep current. Plus you'll probably need a flight physical of some sort, which also needs to be renewed. I wonder if you can even rent a plane anymore, the way airport security and the paranoid people are running things...Let us know! You could always do both! :biggrin:

And I agree with the above, it does seem that talking to the Tower and Ground Control people is the most stressing and tricky part of flying. It was for me at Spartan School of Aero, where I attended for a semester. If you can find a smaller, uncontrolled airport to learn, I recommend it. Then again, dealing with ATC at the start might be easier...

Part of what is holding me back from flying is that once I get my license, then what? I'll be able to take friends and family out for sightseeing and flights, but otherwise with the cost of rentals I don't know how often I'd go up and fly around. A motorcycle in contrast seems a little more practicable then.

Top Bottom