What's new

Flight of the Ferns

Fougere has always been my favorite scent. Living in western Washington my whole life. My favorite scent is going out in the forest and breathing in that natural forest air.

The Fern fougere soap I have is Saponifico Veresino Felce. I guess it's considered a cologne fougere. As it's based on Houbagant Fougere Royal.

Will have to add some more of these to my rotation. So I'm glad you posted the scent reviews.

Just out of curiosity. Which of these would you say smells closest to a western Washington forest?

I'm gonna guess it's DG TSM fougere

You guessed it! However, Stirling's Varen is surely not far at all from the TSM at barely more than half the price, with Stirling's excellent (IMO) mutton tallow base. Surely you wouldn't go wrong with either!

I'm getting SV Felce Aromatica, CBL's SIR Fougere, and NO's The Trail! Loving the suggestions folks! Plus, I just saw that B&M released their Angelique and Gothic Fougeres at Maggards. So much good stuff!

If anyone wants to post any follow-ups with any of those scents that I did not post, please feel free! One thing I found interesting was comparing the accords my (admittedly feeble) nose could detect with the scent notes from the perfumers that they had actually blended in. In a couple cases it actually created crazy cross-over scents that may not have been the original intent of the perfumers, but nevertheless came out. I still swear I can smell a little cucumber from Stirling's Varen before I lather it up, not that I'm mad about that...

Asylum Shave Works Royal Fougere is great, it is made by Wet Shaving Products for Bullgoose shaving. The soap is the same as their Formula T soaps as far as I know.

I have two fern scents and they are both top notch:

Penhaligons English Fern - Expensive, but lasts a really long time. The scent is fairly strong here and is more of a cologne scent. Great lather that builds easily.

Martin de Candre Fougere - My all-time favorite soap. The scent is relatively light, but is probably the best of all my soaps. Performance wise, it's outstanding. It's VERY expensive, but lasts forever (my jar looks like I've never even used it).

Great write up, @BF&E. The Barrister & Mann Fern is my favorite from the ones mentioned. Have you tried Wholly Kaw Fougere Parfaite? It is close to the smell of Brut to give you a reference. Great stuff.

What excellent reviews.
Thanks!
I was looking at Green Man yesterday; now the TSM sounds interesting.
I’ve only been in a Washington rain forest twice.
The scent and experience was filled with awe and appreciation.
It seemed like Yoda would emerge from the ferns onto the trail.
Especially so now with the local and Colorado wildfires.

Top Bottom