What's new

flexball vs de razor

between the flexball power razor from gillette and those 1950s razors from gillette, which one would give a truly closer shave? do more blades truly mean a closer shave or not? would anyone happen to know since many of you guys say that de razors are somewhat better than modern blades..........?

Sir Donald, I cannot speak to the Flexball power razor, but I have a regular Flexball and have used it several times, especially for short air travel trips; it gave me a clean, smooth shave each time. Certainly not the nostalgia and not quite as close as a DE, or shavette, but quite a decent shave. Just IMHO, although YMMV!

truefitt hill sandalwood gillette flexball art of shaving november 20 2014.jpg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
With respect for me at least you are missing the point in that you conflate a closer shave with a better shave. To my way of thinking, traditional shaving is not about a closer shave, a faster shave, or a cheaper shave. I shave using traditional methods precisely because they are traditional, because it is the way my Father shaved, and every time I shave it reminds me of him. It is like he is with me again in some small way and that makes me feel good each and every day. It is much more than simply shaving; you cannot put a price on that, and that is what makes it 'somewhat better than modern blades'.

between the flexball power razor from gillette and those 1950s razors from gillette, which one would give a truly closer shave? do more blades truly mean a closer shave or not? would anyone happen to know since many of you guys say that de razors are somewhat better than modern blades..........?

For most men, the more modern razors will shave closer. Whether it's a better way to shave will depend on alot of factors.

The flexball power razor is what I used before I switched to DE shaving, and I get MUCH closer shaves using my DE razors than I ever did with any cartridge razor.
Btw, the razor that I used most of this week was a 1958 Gillette Tech; better shaves for me than the modern razor.

I don't know how closely Gillette cartridges shave anymore, to be honest - I haven't used one in a decade or more. I can certainly say that I get an excellent shave from safety razors (smooth enough that I feel no stubble going with the grain in a single pass shave where I'm not hurrying). I also don't get ingrown hairs or similar that I used to get with cartridges.

In fairness, I don't know how good a Fusion cartridge would shave with good technique and lather; excellently, I suspect. But I have no plans to ever go back - I actually enjoy shaving now, get excellent and comfortable shaves, and if I'm being VERY spendy on blades then it's a quarter a blade (Feather or Polsilver Super Iridium).

For someone new to DE shaving, the Gillette Fusion or Mach 3 will give a closer shave with less irritation. It took me over a year of perfecting my technique before I could get a closer shave with less irritation from a DE than I could with a cartridge razor. But no, more blades doesn't equal a closer/better shave (in fact, I get a closer shave from a Trac II than a Fusion), but technique is much simpler with cartridge systems.

Also, before converting to DE and straight razors, I tried every cartridge system that came out. I can confidently say that they've made them as dummy-proof as possible to get a great shave with no weepers or irritation. The buzzing handles and flex balls don't do anything to improve the shave but sound good in marketing.

I get less irritation with a single blade. 3 or more blades isn't that great if you have sensitive skin. It might shave a bit closer but it can be irritating and despite all the stuff they do to try to reduce the pressure of the blades, it still takes a toll on the skin.

I really prefer only one or two blades. I don't think you necessarily have to use a DE razor, there are other single bladed razors out there that are more intuitive, like a disposable or an injector, and if the DE is poorly constructed, it's not going to be nearly as good.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I always found that a twin cartridge razor gave me a great close shave with a little irritation and a few weepers. A DE will give me a good shave but it takes 3 passes compared to 2.

Top Bottom