What's new

Flea market find - Shaving kit, Polish?

Found this shaving kit at a local flea market. $8
Nice case with mirror, shaving brush, soap container, razor and one blade.

The blade is a "Rawa Lux" made in Poland. It's double wrapped but a bit rusty.

The brush looks to be in good condition. Not sure what type of hair. Boar maybe?
Tried searching the names on the labels but didn't find anything.

The soap container is full of some type of soap but is welded shut with rust. There is a drain hole on the bottom so I can see there's some white soap in it.

The razor has no markings on it. It's all steel according to magnet. The baseplate is just stamped steel and it's bent I think. Would never want to shave with it as it is.
The handle has same threads as Gillette Tech and screws right onto a tech head.

Anybody ever seen one like this?
The case is in decent shape. Might be good to restore it and use it for travel. Not that I go anywhere...

sk1.jpg
sk2.jpg sk3.jpg sk4.jpg sk5.jpg

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
The heads on those are pretty cheesy stampings (scary in fact) but the handles are great. Pretty sure they're solid stainless, at least mine are on two different types. Slip a travel Tech head in the kit and you're ready to travel!

Congrats!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Here, I made a pic of two complete razors I still have. About ten years ago there were quite a few N.O.S. LUX razors on the market, well under $10 on European eBay. I sold all of those for the handles since the heads were pretty crude, but kept one stainless handle.

These safety bar razors were from a mixed lot I got maybe two years ago, LUX on the right.
full

Interesting. Good excuse to travel once you have replaced the head and the brush and cleaned it all up. Perhaps use a synthetic brush for travel and forget about drying.

So it's a Lux razor...
Not a lot of info on these out there. It's strange that it's an open comb. Most pics I've seen are Tech solid guard types.

I can't imagine someone actually using this thing. It must have been dropped at some point the comb on one side is bent down on one side so the gap is larger. I could probably bend it back to make a more reasonable gap.
Maybe for next OCTober? (Open Comb October)

Might just be a wall hanger.
I have a spare gold tech that would fit nicely into the case.

Thanks for the info everyone.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I'm not saying it's a LUX, Doc, just showing you some other similar Polish razors made behind the Iron Curtain. My LUX is clearly stamped -LUX- and nierdzewne in script.

I'm always drawn to those heavy duty handles! :001_rolle

Oh, mine has no markings on it.
The blade that came with the kit is a Rawa Lux so I figured the razor might be. Maybe it’s a cheap knockoff?

Top Bottom